Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #1

Default Winter (below-freezing) use of Class B

Greetings all - I'm a new member here. I've owned three different Class A's in the last 10 years and now interested in something smaller with kids mostly off to college. I've searched the forum for answers to the following question and can't find anything on point; my apologies if I've missed it.

Are any of these manufacturers making models designed for use in below-freezing temperatures?

Our primary use of our class A's was for snow skiing and we'd like to continue that usage. We live in the Seattle area so winter temps in the mountains are not very cold but can easily be in the teens. I'm accustomed to heated wet bays for the tanks and plumbing inside the coach--all designed to keep things from freezing if the furnace is on. My research so far suggests that the large volume manufacturers are not building with this in mind. Am I missing someone/something or are you all not using these in the winter?

Thanks all for your inputs.

Marty
Duvall, WA
kartski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
g1g
Platinum Member

Default Re: Winter (below-freezing) use of Class B

Sportsmobile custom builds their units and have options for that by having inside water tank and insulated/heated holding tanks among other things they can do
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
Platinum Member

When I was speccing my Sprinter out, there are some pretty cool Sportsmobile options:

1: The fresh water tank is completely inside the van, and you can drain the inlet that goes from the fuel fill to the tank (filling the tank by opening the rear doors.)

2: You can have a recirculation system specced out that takes some water from the water heater, sends it back via some plumbing to help keep warm drains and the grey/black tanks.

3: I was looking at a diesel hydronic furnace, when combined with a diesel generator (Powertech) and a controller from Magnum Electricity, it would keep the rig heated and above freezing. If the battery got low, the controller would fire up the generator for 3-4 hours. That way, if the "B" is topped off with diesel, it will keep itself above freezing.

4: Electric pads were attached to the grey/black water tanks. Those help, but seriously chew up battery life.

I like the fact that one could have a completely diesel Sprinter upfit, no propane whatsoever. The stove was a Webasto and exhausted to the outside, so the wet air from propane wasn't an issue.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:07 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I'd only use mine in winter when heading somewhere warmer

Some Class B's have an interior freshwater tank so you have some winter capability but I don't know of any that are really made for winter with double pane thermo windows and heated waste tanks. You could phone Roadtrek and ask about their 40th Anniversary Edition "all season RVing" 190 Popular model. http://www.roadtrek.com/news_details.as ... 68PCvxY%3D - I don't know what windows they are using or if the waste tanks are heated on that one.

The Regency GT24 MB by Leisure Travel Vans is a small Class C that has dual pane windows, a rear auxiliary heater, sidewalls with thermal break, and enclosed and insulated heated tanks. Link: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...hp?f=33&t=2457 -20 C (-4 F) during the demo video!
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote