Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2021, 09:10 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Good insulation and windows curtains improve comfort by eliminating cold spots. In our van we packed ceiling and walls with good fill of Thinsulate in some places with two layers like in cabin overhead. Long, dense, two layers fabric curtains help to directing cold air down to the floor.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:26 PM   #42
Platinum Member

We have a four season van now. We even carried water in our previous van and used it with sinks and toilet but I think most people don’t or may not be capable of easily or fully upgrading. We do have insulated curtains, an insulated cover for the exhaust fan and insulated covers for the cab windows. We employ the extreme measures about -25F. We now have automatic heating pads for black, grey and fresh water. Batteries are now inside with ventilation. ARV says their batteries are heated but I have no idea about that. I haven’t inquired. My previous outside batteries were heated. Water lines are all in the van shell now. We store in a heated garage so we can forego winterizing and be able to get up and go at any time. We can dump at any time and any where. Finding dump stations in freezing weather would be a challenge but at home in our condo garage complex we can. We can easily go two weeks without needing to dump and I can’t imagine camping that long in cold weather.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 01:18 AM   #43
Platinum Member

Jake & Bud - excellent list for a 20 year old van
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 01:44 AM   #44
Platinum Member

In the winter we revert to sleeping bags. That takes care of the night. Slept outdoors many times in a tent with sleeping bags. 40 degree rated bags should do it and if you are cautious, 25 degree rated bags might get you sweating if you have heat on. With sleeping bags you can turn the heat down to a minimum if you want. Our minimum I think is about 55 degree with heat.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:16 AM   #45
Platinum Member

For the Human Bed part of the equation, I highly recommend ELECTROWARMTH 12 VOLT Bed/Bunk Warmers. They go on top of the mattress, radiating heat up.

A Trucking Staple since the 1940's

https://electrowarmth.com/
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 11-18-2021, 02:29 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
For the Human Bed part of the equation, I highly recommend ELECTROWARMTH 12 VOLT Bed/Bunk Warmers. They go on top of the mattress, radiating heat up.

A Trucking Staple since the 1940's

https://electrowarmth.com/
I can’t find any specs or power consumption on this website. How much battery power does it use?
Old 11-18-2021, 02:56 PM   #47
Platinum Member

This is the exact product I use, the Bunk Warmer - not the Mattress - I haven't used it this year but it's placed at the foot of the bed.

I do not know the size of your bed/s. You may want to use one or two of their different sized units.

I do not use the larger units.

Here it talks about maximum power draw of 6.2amps.

https://electrowarmth.com/products/b...fitted-36-x-60

I used to use this in a a very unsophisticated Conversion Van with one Chassis battery, a Yellow Top Optima. Would drive & heat the bedding & turn off, in the early am about 3am would turn it on just to 2 or 3 (of 7), to take the edge off.

With the 220 amps House Batteries I have now in my RV Set Up, the power draw is barely noticeable ot a problem especially since I don't need to use the Gas Furnace until I get out of Bed.

They have been around since 1939!

They have always been very good at answering questions over the phone or by email.

There should be other discussions on this forum of past conversations about Electrowarmth:

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/s...archid=2402956

Here is the same product on Amazon with a lot more detail;

https://www.amazon.com/Electrowarmth...s%2C157&sr=8-3
Old 11-18-2021, 03:15 PM   #48
Platinum Member

Here is a thread where I received a lot of Thanks at the time on my Inbox when it was written & then more from the same people during the winter but some flak from others.

It's when I decided to sign off & give everyone a break from my dogmatic pontificating.

Bottom Line; since 1939 this company has been selling these to Truck Drivers (with large diesel motors/batteries) & now they sell them to the same truckers who don't want to idle their engines - they must be making a great product, that is tried & true.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...ter-11235.html

[url]https://www.classbforum.com/forums
Old 11-22-2021, 05:31 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belzar View Post
Any solution requires reliable 24/7 energy which is not practical for how many of us use our class B's. For winter, we have plenty of extra insulation, carry fresh water inside, use sink liner and lidded bucket for washing/grey water, flush toilet with antifreeze (or use wag bags) and use tea kettle for "hot running water". We camp down to -10F and except for showering don't feel like we are losing much utility due to being winterized.
Belzar, you posted this a long time ago, and for the most part, you've answered the question I've had about fluids and "cold" weather camping.

I'd be interested to know if I should flush the BW tank with antifreeze to prime the waste gate seal before loading the BW tank? Or should I wait to find a "thaw" before I exercise the waste gate? My RT 190 has a 10 gallon BW tank. Thanks to anyone who contributes their thoughts on the Cold Weather experience and blackwater management.
Goldspace is offline   Reply With Quote