Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2022, 02:12 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default winterizing waterpump

Hi
We have an Xplorer MUR HT. A lot like a road trek. Anyway. Had it for18 mo Love it This spring the water pump for the fresh water tank had to be replaced The mechanic said probably it cracked and leaked then becasue some water was left in it over the winter and that froze, and he described how to get some of the antifreeze right into it .I took a quick look last night and have no idea how to reach in to where the hoses attach and what to do.we are not mechanical. I COULD go back and pay to have it done BUT If I put the antifreeze into the fresh water tank, as I did last yr, and run it though til it comes out the faucet and toilet then it has to have gone through the pump yes? why isnt that enough? thanks
jeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 02:47 PM   #2
Platinum Member

does your RV have a manual which explains their winterizing process ?

I know my PW process is similar to, but not the same as a roadtrek, my manual spells it out A, B, C...

some prefer to open certain valves and use air to blow everything out, some just use gravity drain and pull the anode from the hot water heater
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 02:48 PM   #3
Site Team

Putting the pink stuff in your fresh tank and pumping it everywhere should be fine for the water pump. Just make sure that (a) the antifreeze isn't too diluted by leftover water in the tank or water heater; and (b) you pump ALL the circuits (sinks, shower, toilet, outside fixtures...), to be sure all the water is purged. I guess that avoiding dilution is one of the advantages of those "winterization valve" setups, rather than dumping it in the tank.

I don't use that stuff--I winterize using compressed air. If you do that, you do have to make sure no water drains back down to the pump (I remove the clear plastic strainer cover so it drains). But, with antifreeze properly deployed, I don't see what the issue might be.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 04:07 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I installed one of Camco's bypass systems so I never have to put antifreeze into my fresh water tank. Granted I still flush out and sterilize my tank every spring but I'm not worried about leaving any antifreeze residual in the tank.
DaveBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 05:22 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
does your RV have a manual which explains their winterizing process ?

I know my PW process is similar to, but not the same as a roadtrek, my manual spells it out A, B, C...

some prefer to open certain valves and use air to blow everything out, some just use gravity drain and pull the anode from the hot water heater
and no manual does not mention winteriziing

Ha there is no hot water heater
Old 09-26-2022, 05:25 PM   #6
Bronze Member

I am not"worried " about leaving antifreeze in the tank
I just want the water pump not to have water in it
I do not think the compressed air thing is an option here
Appreciate the help!

The thing is that I did this last yr and the thing froze it is worrisome