Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2022, 09:05 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Wiring diagram?

Do upfitters provide wiring diagrams for customers? You know, to help troubleshoot issues?

I'd love to be able to identify some of the wires that criss-cross behind the panels. Yesterday I saw one connection where both wires were bare of insulation, just waiting to spark and short. Geez.

I fixed that one, but it makes me wonder... If something goes on the frizz, it would be helpful to know which color the cables are that go to that particular compononent.

Of course, if you DIY that isn't an issue at all. But dealing with a finished van... what do you do?
Old 04-07-2022, 09:47 PM   #2
Platinum Member

i have a background in electrics and have had little trouble tracing wiring in my van- it's an older pleasure way with perhaps less going on than a newer van might
no solar, no inverter

the manufacturer appeared to ignore my emailed questions/requests for a wiring diagram when I bought this

but everything I see - literally delights me with the attention to detail and quality of the wiring work
- one exception was a previous owner ( or his dealer) replacing a detector and did poor work.

the important things to locate are the ac and dc system breakers or fuses- do that before you need to*

Be aware that a GFCI in the galley or head may also be wired to other outlets- such as external- if they are dead check the GFCI

I carry a meter to check power pedestals before plugging in
you should see 110~125 volts between hot and neutral, and the near same number measuring between hot and ground.
you should see less than 5 volts between neutral and ground- 0 is even better

mike

*if the 12 volt battery is run to dead, you will possibly blow circuit breakers or fuses on the DC circuits- these may need to be reset/replaced as you charge your battery
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 11:11 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Thank you Mike! Yeah my Rize is rather complicated, with all that stuff on the roof, inside, plus the multiplex wiring, add some difficult to access areas, so it's a crap-shoot to know which wire belongs to what and goes where.

Good point on the fuses... just bought a case of spares, in case I ever need them.

I'll probably contact Thor to see if they have something, but they'll probably go
Old 04-07-2022, 11:48 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Electric diagram is often one of the advantages of DIY camper van.

Based on my experience with commercial built RVs tracing wires is possible but very, very time consuming. I only traced wires if I was in need of repair. A simple wire tracer is a good tool to have to trace hidden wires. https://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Instru...s%2C152&sr=1-4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sperry.jpg (184.3 KB, 4 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 12:20 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Talking

Ooooh silly me. Had a look at the Thor Owners site, and there is a 35 page PDF with all sorts of schematics and diagrams. Cool! Now I just need time to study. I am thinking of taking the panels off and labeling the various wires... just for the heck of it. Maybe. Needs time too.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:00 AM   #6
Silver Member

Winnebago also provides drawings for electrical, along with other systems. Coachman, fr the Beyond … ZIP.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 03:10 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
Ooooh silly me. Had a look at the Thor Owners site, and there is a 35 page PDF with all sorts of schematics and diagrams. Cool! Now I just need time to study. I am thinking of taking the panels off and labeling the various wires... just for the heck of it. Maybe. Needs time too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman View Post
Winnebago also provides drawings for electrical, along with other systems. Coachman, fr the Beyond … ZIP.
That is great news. I called Airstream once and they did send what I specifically asked for, but no more.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote