Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2020, 06:10 PM   #1

Default Wiring TPMS repeater in Sprinter 3500

Installing new TPMS in 24 foot Sprinter van with rear duallies. All the TPMS kits (including the TST 507 I am considering) call for wiring a signal repeater in the rear of the van.

Our conversion has most everything enclosed so I am struggling with where I can find a wiring location and how to wire it.

Anybody have experience with this issue on a Sprinter?

Thanks.
GTSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:28 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSeattle View Post
Installing new TPMS in 24 foot Sprinter van with rear duallies. All the TPMS kits (including the TST 507 I am considering) call for wiring a signal repeater in the rear of the van.

Our conversion has most everything enclosed so I am struggling with where I can find a wiring location and how to wire it.

Thanks.
Just a thought after installing a rear wireless camera, you might try trying it without the repeater.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:49 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:

Thanks.
I've had the TST 507 TPMS on my 24 foot Sprinter van for over five years. Never had a repeater - system works fine. I have the flow-thru sensors and the batteries last about 18-24 months. I think the non-flow-thru screw on sensors have a longer life battery. I've only had to touch them twice a year. Once in winter to increase pressure due to cold temps and again in summer when it gets hot to reduce pressure setting.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:12 PM   #4

Quote:
I've had the TST 507 TPMS on my 24 foot Sprinter van for over five years. Never had a repeater - system works fine. I have the flow-thru sensors and the batteries last about 18-24 months. I think the non-flow-thru screw on sensors have a longer life battery. I've only had to touch them twice a year. Once in winter to increase pressure due to cold temps and again in summer when it gets hot to reduce pressure setting.
Boxter1971: Thanks so much for your very helpful reply. I will buy the flow through sensors and try it without repeater and see how it goes.
Did you have any issues supporting the inner tire valve stem as it comes through the outer wheel? A number of posters indicate problems with the weight of the TPMS sensors causing damage to the valve stem.
GTSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:41 PM   #5
Site Team

I have never heard of anybody who has needed a repeater on a B-van. That is a Class-A thing.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:23 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Boxter1971: Thanks so much for your very helpful reply. I will buy the flow through sensors and try it without repeater and see how it goes.
Did you have any issues supporting the inner tire valve stem as it comes through the outer wheel? A number of posters indicate problems with the weight of the TPMS sensors causing damage to the valve stem.
You have to replace any rubber valve stems with metal stems if you plan to add external screw-on sensors. If you put the sensor on rubber valve stems the stem will fail and you will get a flat tire.

I had the dually valve kit installed when I added TPMS. Here are the listings on Amazon. You will need a kit that matches you wheels.

https://www.amazon.com/Accu-Pressure...=Accu-Pressure

There are plenty of other sources:
https://www.shinyrv.com/product/dual...free-shipping/

https://yourtireshopsupply.com/categ...printer-trucks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DL1SP-CHROM...G/202826479418
Old 07-10-2020, 01:52 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Installing new TPMS in 24 foot Sprinter van with rear duallies. All the TPMS kits (including the TST 507 I am considering) call for wiring a signal repeater in the rear of the van....
I have a 24 foot Born Free on a Ford 350 dually chassis. My TPMS is a EezTire with NO repeater. Works!
Want a B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:37 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I have a 22' Roadtrek and pull a 12' dual axle trailer. all 10 tires (2 spares) have TST 507 sensors. Do not need a repeater. I have a mix of flow through and non flow through. Non flow through are lighter and less stress on the valve stem.

To put air in tires with either sensor, something has to be unscrewed. No difference to me removing a non flow through sensor or the plastic cap on the flow through. Also, one of my flow through sensors does not accept air, but works OK otherwise.

I do not use any of the security features that these sensors come with.
Roadtreker357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 02:04 AM   #9

Class B vans don't need repeaters. I have used a TPMS in my 2016 Sprinter Van 3500 now for several years and when a towing a single axle car dolly with a car front end on it and have used tire pressure monitors on both the dolly and rear wheels of the car besides on all wheels of the Sprinter and have never had any problems with signal strength. You need signal repeaters only for much longer motorhomes with trailers.
ClassB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 03:51 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Below is TST's July 10, 2020 response to my question about Flow-through vs Cap Sensor and valve stem type.

You may keep the rubber valve stems if you use the RV cap style sensors. If you choose the flow through sensors, you will need to change them to metal stems. Keep in mind that the flow through sensors are about 1 3/4” long, so you must also have deeper wheel wells so they do not stick out too far from the tire.

I received my new in box TST-507-10RV yesterday. Page 1 of the Installation Manual states

Cap and Flow-through sensor batteries last approximately one (1) year.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:29 PM   #11
Silver Member

Has anyone used the Tuson system? A review I saw says it's made by an OEM supplier.

http://www.etrailer.com/TPMS-Sensor/...TPMS6WIVS.html
Nspekter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 03:54 PM   #12

Opening up this thread on where to locate the repeater on 2019 and newer sprinter. I agree with everyone that the repeater has not been needed but I have an issue with one sensor and TST is insisting I add the repeater before potentially replacing through warranty . Any thoughts on an easy place to tap into 12v source without going into the battery box or internal systems? Appreciate any guidance for someone like me who is not handy (ie- not taking seat out or accessing internal components). Thank you.
Gerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 04:09 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I wanted the monitor to be hard wired to 12V. Used a voltage tester with a pointed end that would penetrate wire insulation. With the vehicle off, I probed various wires under the dash to find one that was hot. Tapped into that wire.

Tester I used was similar to this one: https://www.amazon.com/WINAMOO-Premi...lbWF0aWM&psc=1

Regarding an earlier post about battery life, I remove the monitors from the valve stems when the RV is not in use. This extends battery life.
Old 09-11-2023, 07:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtreker357 View Post
I wanted the monitor to be hard wired to 12V. Used a voltage tester with a pointed end that would penetrate wire insulation. With the vehicle off, I probed various wires under the dash to find one that was hot. Tapped into that wire.

Tester I used was similar to this one: https://www.amazon.com/WINAMOO-Premi...lbWF0aWM&psc=1

Regarding an earlier post about battery life, I remove the monitors from the valve stems when the RV is not in use. This extends battery life.
Thanks Roadtrecker that is very helpful. Would you recommend for the electrical layperson (me) that I use Alligator clips or would I need to splice together the positive and negative wires and tape to the corresponding ones?
Old 09-11-2023, 10:14 PM   #15
Platinum Member

It appears that I found the ground (black) and hot (red) wires going to my brake controller. I used wire taps to connect the two wires in the TST power cord.

This is one type of tap that can be disconnected: https://www.amazon.com/120-PCS-Wiref...114843142&th=1
Old 09-11-2023, 11:51 PM   #16
Site Team

Just something to bear in mind:
Some circuits on modern vehicles are monitored for current consumption by the diagnostic system. Lamp circuits are the obvious example, but there are others. I do not know what percentage of the circuits are so monitored, but I suspect the odds are in your favor. But, if you should get some strange check engine code, it is something to remember.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 10:58 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Will you be towing something? No towing, no repeter. Towing, might need a repeter?
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 04:32 PM   #18

I wont be towing and think that TST is willing to replace the sensor without them repeater installed after a series of steps we have taken to isolate the sensors and inability to communicate with the base unit. Still appreciate all comments as at some point we may be forced to add the repeater. Thx
Old 09-12-2023, 08:20 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Back when I had a 35 foot fiver I had a TPMS for the truck and trailer tires, and never had a range problem.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tmps for sprinter