Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2022, 01:07 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Workouts on the road

Hi

Any weight trainers out there?

I’ve gotten good use out of resistance bands for campsite workouts so far.

I’ve got a removable square pipe extension that slips over the top of the Roadtrek spare tire rack. Got a hook at the top for resistance bands.

Now I’d like to take it to the next level with a DIY pull-up bar and bench attached the spare rack or perhaps a trailer hitch centered system. There are hitch based workout systems available but pricey.

Yes, you can use a nationwide gym membership but there’s something glorious about a prairie or riverside workouts.

Anybody else doing weight training on the road?
MagicBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:16 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBox View Post
Hi

I’ve got a removable square pipe extension that slips over the top of the Roadtrek spare tire rack. Got a hook at the top for resistance bands.
Now I’d like to take it to the next level with a DIY pull-up bar and bench attached the spare rack or perhaps a trailer hitch centered system. There are hitch based workout systems available but pricey.
Yes, you can use a nationwide gym membership but there’s something glorious about a prairie or riverside workouts.
We are not weight trainers, however we have a modest gym in our basement that we use on a regular basis. On our nomadic style road trips we bring hand weights, stretch bands; and, two Perfect Pushups rotating grip handles, which we really like because they can be used to combine crunches, pushups, wrist and arm exercises.
Of course, the amount of use they have gotten on trips has been indirectly proportional to the amount of fun we were having ... lol.
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:22 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Yes Sensfan, it can be a challenge to get your exercise in when you’re somewhere exciting.
Yet since I’ve exercised for so long I get antsy and depressed if I don’t.
I think I’ll end up getting a hitch cargo basket to haul my adjustable bench and stow my adjustable dumbbells in the “garage”. If I can fashion a pull up bar out back that would cover the basics. And with my wife doing her yoga while I’m doing my regimen we really get a good start to the day.
2014 Camry hybrid-soulless transport appliance
Old 05-24-2022, 10:46 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Do you guys have the Continental Tire Kit with the three pulleys? If yes, I would suggest checking the cable for signs of wear and also check for frozen pulleys before attaching a bench. We have the Continental Tire Kit on our 2012 Ranger and the frayed cable snapped last year. We replaced it with a larger gauge wire.
Old 05-25-2022, 12:39 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Sensfan,

I do spray the tire rack pulleys with white lithium grease annually but I will check the cable more closely since you mentioned your experience. It is a rather thin cable for this application.

Thanks
Old 05-25-2022, 02:56 PM   #6
Platinum Member

MagicBox, Are you familiar with The FitRV? You seem to have your workout needs well in hand, but perhaps you'll get some ideas from them. Check out the Workout Tab. https://www.thefitrv.com/
Old 05-25-2022, 05:48 PM   #7
Platinum Member

The FitRV pair Steph and James used to have a Class B. They had been to a few ARV Fests where Stephany conducted seminars on fitnesses. They have since gravitated to a Class C.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:05 PM   #8
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
The FitRV pair Steph and James used to have a Class B. They had been to a few ARV Fests where Stephany conducted seminars on fitnesses. They have since gravitated to a Class C.
Those are heavy.
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 12:01 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I will check out fitRV, thank you.
Old 05-29-2022, 03:57 PM   #10
Bronze Member

I train with weights when not on the road, but we are always active physically. We always have two cheapo kayaks on a rack I built on the back, and our tandem bike is attached via a front skewer mount I permanently affixed to the rear door. I'll post photos one of these days.
GaryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 06:12 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
I train with weights when not on the road, but we are always active physically. We always have two cheapo kayaks on a rack I built on the back, and our tandem bike is attached via a front skewer mount I permanently affixed to the rear door. I'll post photos one of these days.
Nice. We have a 13’ inflatable fishing kayak that we carry in our Stow-Away box. We would love to have hard shelled kayaks, but don’t see how we they could be attached to our 19’ Chevy Roadtrek.
Old 05-29-2022, 06:30 PM   #12
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan View Post
Nice. We have a 13’ inflatable fishing kayak that we carry in our Stow-Away box. We would love to have hard shelled kayaks, but don’t see how we they could be attached to our 19’ Chevy Roadtrek.
45 foot zip ties will work.
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:09 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
45 foot zip ties will work.
Excellent idea!!!
Old 05-29-2022, 07:52 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Here's the kayaks on the back. They are 10ft. Pelican Trailblazers ($200 each or so) There are notches cut in the blue kayak to lock into the ladder with a removable wooden cross piece to attach the cam buckle straps. The base of the rack is a Yakima 2 bike rack with the rack closest to the hitch removed and replaced with a 4x4 and plywood platform with holes cut to hold the rear points of the boats. There is a two bike extension on the rack to hold the mtn. bikes. These kayaks are super easy to load and unload. All the paddling stuff is kept in the kayaks.
GaryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:39 PM   #15
Silver Member

As a longtime workout enthusiast, when traveling I carry TRX straps and Perfect Push-up disks. In addition I tend to take 30-45 minute, fast walks or hikes and do a 20 minute body weight workout called “15 Minutes of Hell”. For several decades, whether on the road or at home,, I’ve found that your own body weight can give you an excellent workout with any equipment.

15 Minutes of Hell Workout
https://youtu.be/xtK4c55w-p0

Quote:
Hi

GigaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 01:03 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigaGeek View Post
As a longtime workout enthusiast, when traveling I carry TRX straps and Perfect Push-up disks. In addition I tend to take 30-45 minute, fast walks or hikes and do a 20 minute body weight workout called “15 Minutes of Hell”. For several decades, whether on the road or at home,, I’ve found that your own body weight can give you an excellent workout with any equipment.

15 Minutes of Hell Workout
https://youtu.be/xtK4c55w-p0
This workout looks beyond intense lol. I’m gonna give it a try.
Best regards
Old 05-30-2022, 01:42 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Default Ideas

GaryG, that’s an impressive setup. Definitely respect a well executed DIY.

Gigga, I have gotten good use out of my resistance bands and we do vigorous walks. Will look into your link.

I’ve missed clanking iron at the Y since the beginning of the pandemic. Finally was able to score a used set of adjustable dumbbells (we’re sold out everywhere) and that’s really my happy place.
Bringing an extra 150# along is not the model of efficiency but it will keep me sane.
Old 05-30-2022, 02:16 PM   #18
Silver Member

The 15 Minutes of Hell workout has been my staple workout for over 20 years. It was developed by an international Judo organization. Several of the exercises were used regularly by the legendary wrestlers of ancient India. I ditched free weights and never looked back. It has given me greater functional strength, flexibility, athleticism and much more. It stretches and strengthens both your core and extremities, while only requiring a small amount of ground space. If you can perfect the body weight squats and Hindu pushups, those alone will get you in amazing shape. I would recommend doing the squats going down 1/3 to parallel and no more, while keeping your heels flat on the ground as your base.

At 62 and still playing men’s amateur baseball, the workout has been my secret to success. An umpire once asked me for my birth certificate and a steroid test. Of course, he was kidding.

Quote:
Gigga, I have gotten good use out of my resistance bands and we do vigorous walks. Will look into your link.
GigaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 06:37 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigaGeek View Post
At 62 and still playing men’s amateur baseball, the workout has been my secret to success. An umpire once asked me for my birth certificate and a steroid test. Of course, he was kidding.
To quote the great Muhammed Ali: “It ain’t braggin if you can back it up”.

At 72, I play ball hockey in a league of older guys (45+) and can still play a good competitive game. The Hindu pushups look impressive. I have some permanent rotor cuff injuries that somewhat limit movement, e.g. certain pushup position angles. Looking forward to trying them.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:32 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Wow, some fit guys in this group.
Impressive.

I thought I was pushing it at 55 but these guys in different league.

So let me ask this:
What foods are you preparing in your class Bs?
Protein sources?

Thank you