Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2020, 09:49 PM   #1
mam

Default Would it be crazy to sell our Agile right now?

We have loved our RT Agile for two+ years now--had enjoyable trips from Maine to Florida, from Ohio to the great plains...We had hoped to travel west this year, and possibly to Canada.

It's been fantastic to have an easy-to-drive and easy-to-park vehicle, with our own bathroom and bed. But, the growing demands of 4 young grandchildren have us questioning if we'll have time (and space) to use it much going forward. And then there's this virus.

I'd appreciate some perspective as we try to decide.

Mary Ann
mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:08 PM   #2
Platinum Member

From our armchair positions, we can only offer our moving target perspectives.

I don't think you are crazy, its a buyers market buy there is also a phenomenon known as Sellers Remorse.

In the short term, the continued Maintenance of the Rig which is needed whether you use it or not, etc might seem like a welcome relief.

But life is a series of cycles & what about your own needs as a couple? (unless you are full time responsible for the grandkids).

The beauty of keeping a rig is you know it, inside out.

It's just a matter of going through your processes & turning the key - its yours Rose's, Warts & All.

Covid is real but temporary.

The joys of RV Ownership, permanent.

Unless you are already burnt out or your health conditions are forcing the issue.

I can see Ownership of a Class B during Covid, only as a positive.

What about your kids, could they use it for their own getaway? 4 adults & 4 kids is a literal squeeze but with a couple of tents & maybe another car trailing along, an outside BBQ, its a family experience that cultures harmony.

Or maybe just 2 adults & 4 kids & a tent?

Covid is a gift people keep on getting stuck on the negatives. Their certainly isn't in the immediate future, a better time to own an RV, Class B or otherwise.
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:11 PM   #3
Platinum Member

PS. You could always change your phone number, rent out or sell the house & escape from your growing family by going walkabout by Class B for several years ...

This is just another suggestion, again from my armchair position.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 08-03-2020, 10:43 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mam View Post
We have loved our RT Agile for two+ years now--had enjoyable trips from Maine to Florida, from Ohio to the great plains...We had hoped to travel west this year, and possibly to Canada.

It's been fantastic to have an easy-to-drive and easy-to-park vehicle, with our own bathroom and bed. But, the growing demands of 4 young grandchildren have us questioning if we'll have time (and space) to use it much going forward. And then there's this virus.

Mary Ann

Welcome to the forum Mary Ann!

We had dreams of traveling with the grand kids in our b (one at a time of course) and sleeping them up front across the seats. But scheduling problems, growth spurts, and now Covid has put an end to such plans. I won't even consider getting something bigger as I don't want to travel in the hot Summer when grand kids would be available anyway.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:10 AM   #5
Silver Member

Covid is one of the top reasons why my wife and I opted to buy our new class B last week. And I know I'm in good company there.

Truth is, we have wanted a vehicle that we could drive anywhere, with its own kitchen and bathroom, for a long time, and covid was the breaking point for us. A key point is, my wife has never been thrilled with using public restrooms (and public showers are a non-starter). I have a friend who has not left the house since March, because she's too afraid of public restrooms. She's seriously considering a class B purchase herself. So, from my perspective, the class B for me is the only possible (safe) way to travel during this virus. I also think that, even if the virus is temporary, public trust in hotel rooms and shared areas in campgrounds will be eroded for some time. So yes, because of Covid, it's never been a better time to own a class B.

However, if you're responsible for four young grandchildren, that changes the equation significantly. You're not going to put 4 grandkids in a class B with yourselves. I don't even think you have enough seatbelts. So, a major question is, "how much time will you have for just the two of you over the next several years?" If the answer is, "none", then your rig is going to collect dust. (Of course, you could choose to rent it out; I had several times this summer when I would have happily paid $250 - $300 a night to rent an Agile.)

Note that inventory of used class Bs is probably at an all-time low right now, meaning, if you opt to sell, it's likely to disappear quickly for a higher price than usual. My bathroom-phobic neighbor would be first in line.
PleasantonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:48 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
. . . its a buyers market . . .
"Buyers market"??? It's a raging Sellers' Market for all the reasons PleasantonMac described.

If you want out, now's the time. But don't look to get back-in for the foreseeable future if you change your mind.
2016 159" High Top DIY ProMaster with 500ah Starlight Solar/Elite LiFePo4, 930 watts Hyundai Solar w/MidNite Solar Classic MPPT, Magnum 2812/MMP250-60S Charger/PSW w/remote, Nations 280amp 2nd Alternator with DIY [formerly, Balmar] regulator, NovaCool R4500 12/120v frig, 2 burner TruInduction cookstop, SMEV 8005 sink, FloJet R4426143 pump. No A/C or indoor washroom.
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:25 AM   #7
Platinum Member

My Apology; the whole context of my post was to support the term SELLER'S MARKET not buyer's & that the timing to sell is perfect right now.

However as in;

I don't think you are crazy, its a buyers (incorrect) market but there is also a phenomenon known as Sellers Remorse.

SELLER'S REMORSE

I can see Ownership of a Class B during Covid, only as a positive.

Covid is real but temporary.

The joys of RV Ownership, permanent.

Covid is a gift people keep on getting stuck on the negatives. Their certainly isn't in the immediate future, a better time to own an RV, Class B or otherwise.

I am definitely a supporter of being an RV Owner at all times if your situation allows it.

And now, having a Ground Floor position is Super Hero Status to your Accountant & your Grandkids.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 08-04-2020, 01:36 PM   #8
Platinum Member

So you take the grandkids one at a time for a short adventure.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:50 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mam View Post

Mary Ann
Four young grandchildren probably can't travel with you in any Class B with any measurable convenience that you don't have already in your Agile you love. They get older fast to the point of overwhelming a Class B's personal storage and tank capacities let alone where they can travel safely in a van. Our experience is we have taken two separate 1,000 mile trips with two and one grandchild under the ages of 10. That was all they wanted and have never asked again. I doubt it was pleasant and probably a bit boring on a bouncy back sofa. We had a 170" WB van for those trips. It's a dream all grandparents have. Maybe solo with one grandchild in the cab passenger seat is doable.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:38 PM   #10
Platinum Member

For us too, our greatest joys are being closely involved with our 4 grandkids and travelling in our van. We usually don't travel much in summer - too hot, too crowded and we like to stay close to home when kids out of school. We do our large trips (up to 5 weeks at a time) in spring and fall. Covid has been a struggle with our lifestyle since travel is limited and we are not isolating with our grandkids. (I know this sounds very elitist and entitled since so many of us are grappling with securing health, food and shelter). But, it will pass ..eventually...and I'm not willing to give up on what has enabled us such joy in the past. (Also, while a Class B is limited for travelling with more than 1 grandkid at a time, you should see their faces light up when they see our van waiting in the school pick-up line.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:54 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Also, while a Class B is limited for travelling with more than 1 grandkid at a time, you should see their faces light up when they see our van waiting in the school pick-up line.

Until another parent starts turning up in one of the those Class A's ...
Old 08-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
It's a raging Sellers' Market
Absolutely correct. In addition to our B we just purchased a trailer. Have been looking online for about six weeks and found one we liked at a dealer.

Arrived at a dealer expecting to view a number of trailers for sale. They had two used trailers and one of them had a deposit. The good news is the one with no deposit was the one we wanted and purchased immediately.

The dealer asked about my B and if I was interested in selling it.

It is a sellers market right now, and when it comes time to store these trailers come winter it will be a buyers market. I feel the trend will repeat itself next year and be a hot market come spring and then a large sell off for winter 2021.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:32 PM   #13
Silver Member

Quote:
Until another parent starts turning up in one of the those Class A's ...
Funny you should mention that... one of the anticipated uses for our class B will be picking my teenage daughter up from school, and using it as a mobile office if she has some after-school activity. She -- being a teenager -- already thinks that being picked up in something the size of an Amazon delivery van is kinda weird, and made it clear that she would NOT be seen getting into or out of a class C.
PleasantonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:07 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I wholeheartedly agree.

Class C's are* the Ugly Ducklings of the RV industry, the red headed Step Child kept in the locked room;

Bloated

Top Heavy

Look like the online dictionary meaning & image of a Bad Marriage, sold as a Compromise.

It takes $25k before they drive right.

Best not driven.

Best parked.

In the darkest, least visited sites of a Mobile Park.

Hidden by tall fences.

Rant over.

=====

You have it figured out, teenagers what do they** know anyway?

Hopefully she is Athletic enough (are kids even healthy these days), that she can run alongside the other side of your unit, throw her books & bag in & manage to get in the side door before you are traveling too fast. You will need to practice in some open, empty parking lots, another reason Covid is a blessing.

*general statement
**everything
Old 08-04-2020, 08:09 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I occasionally drop off or pick up our teens in the Roadtrek. I try to be discreet about it, but last week, after picking up the younger from cross-country practice in the van, I asked her whether it made her uncomfortable. She laughed and said, "It's okay. We all call it the Twinkie."
Old 08-04-2020, 08:14 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I occasionally drop off or pick up our teens in the Roadtrek. I try to be discreet about it, but last week, after picking up the younger from cross-country practice in the van, I asked her whether it made her uncomfortable. She laughed and said, "It's okay. We all call it the Twinkie."
Jon,

Your daughter needs to join the Sprint Team ...
Old 08-04-2020, 08:17 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Back to the OPs question; all the more reason to use this time to bond with your young grandkids while they are simply amazed & intoxicated going into The RV & new places & meeting new friends before they grow up & realise they simply cannot communicate with other Humans without the latest app.

There is a brief time when a Peach is perfectly delicious & then its mush.

Now is that brief time as an RV Owner.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:39 PM   #18
Platinum Member

If the OP is certain they aren't going to have time to go anywhere, now would probably be the best time to sell. If and when the virus gets taken care of I would expect a whole lot of the RVs that the stir crazy non campers bought will be up for sale, so very possible prices will drop a bunch for a at least a while do to the extra supply.

That said, while time with the kids is important, is it really so time consuming you can't allow yourself a few trips a year to get some quiet and regenerating time for yourself? If it is that important, then sell now, and when the kids get old enough to not want you around so much, get another one if you are still wanting to RV camp and are able to. A van sitting for 10+ years is not good for it or your budget.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:48 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree.

Class C's are* the Ugly Ducklings of the RV industry, the red headed Step Child kept in the locked room;

Bloated

Top Heavy

Look like the online dictionary meaning & image of a Bad Marriage, sold as a Compromise.

It takes $25k before they drive right.

Best not driven.

Best parked.

In the darkest, least visited sites of a Mobile Park.

Hidden by tall fences.

Rant over.

=====

You have it figured out, teenagers what do they** know anyway?

Hopefully she is Athletic enough (are kids even healthy these days), that she can run alongside the other side of your unit, throw her books & bag in & manage to get in the side door before you are traveling too fast. You will need to practice in some open, empty parking lots, another reason Covid is a blessing.

*general statement
**everything
Hey, don’t hold back on Class C’s - tell us what you really think!
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:56 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
"Buyers market"??? It's a raging Sellers' Market for all the reasons PleasantonMac described.

If you want out, now's the time. But don't look to get back-in for the foreseeable future if you change your mind.
I agree. I live in Elkhart County Indiana the RV manufacturing "Capital of the World". RVs are selling faster then they can make them.
Want a B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agile