Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2019, 04:00 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Hi InterBlog,

You are a risk taker, so I understand the weapons now. Me, I would avoid this:

"I drove about 160 miles into deep east Texas after dark"

Bud
Husband and I are not retired people. In order to meet the schedules associated with having jobs, we sometimes have to leave for weekend trips after business hours. It’s either that, or don’t travel because the time is too short to make it worthwhile.

When I travel cross-continent solo each summer, I never travel after dark. But I have more time then, and daylight lasts forever.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 05:48 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Default ADB

The newest headlights technology is called ADB – Adaptive Driving Beam. This technology is using LED matrix dynamically controlling light pattern preventing blinding all traffic ahead. See the video.

It is not likely it will come to USA soon due to NHTSA restriction.

AAA published good summary, see this info. https://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/f...SHeadlamps.pdf

“3.1 Allowances and Limitations of U.S. Regulations The following points summarize U.S. regulatory requirements related to the twin goals of providing adequate roadway lighting and minimizing glare to oncoming and preceding drivers.

• According to U.S. regulations, low beam and high beam headlamps are required to operate independently. This requirement is interpreted to specifically excludes ADB lighting systems due to their always-on high beam with low beam projection where appropriate (shuttering oncoming or preceding vehicles).

• Illumination of targets to the side of the roadway has been found to be much higher with U.S. specification low beam headlamps (Federal Register, 2018 ).

• U.S. regulations allow higher mounting heights for headlamps (up to 52 inches , which is 6.77 inches (172mm) above the European limit). This can contribute to glare as the height of the headlamp approaches the level of the driver and mirrors in other vehicles. Compounding this problem, U.S. regulations do not require vertical aiming adjustment based on mounting height. (The higher the headlamp is mounted on the vehicle, the more it is angled downward.) This can result in large vehicles, such as pickup trucks and SUVs directing more light at greater elevations above the road. Current U.S. regulations only require headlamps to be compliant when tested in the lab. The practice of allowing headlamp mounting above the typical height is inconsistent with the goal of reducing glare to drivers of an oncoming or preceding vehicle (Federal Highway Administration, 2014).

• The measured limits of light output in headlamp beam areas that produce glare are over twice as large in U.S. regulation as compared to UNECE regulation limits (Official Journal of the European Union, 2018 ).

• Current U.S. regulations do not quantify glare. My comment - Sealed beams had 15% going up to illuminated road signs originated with model T

• U.S. regulations treat cleaning (washing systems) of headlamps as optional.

Comparison to Automotive Lighting Standards in Europe European lighting regulations are documented in United Nations Economic Commission for Europe UNECE regulations, which have been adopted by most countries in the world with the exception of the United Stated and Canada. Two differences in current UNECE regulations and those of the U.S. have to do with allowable high beam intensity and headlamp mounting height. Higher allowable limit for high beam intensity means more light on the roadway and better safety when using high beam headlights. The lower limit for headlamp mounting height in the UNECE regulations means that the source of automotive headlight beams is most likely below the height of eyes of drivers in oncoming or preceding vehicles, thereby reducing the chance for glare. © 2019 American Automobile Association, Inc. 14 COMPARISON OF EUROPEAN AND U.S. SPECIFICATION AUTOMOTIVE HEADLAMP PERFORMANCE

• European lighting standards (UNECE) allow over two times the light output from high beam headlight systems as compared to the U.S. (Broertjes, 2018 ). U.S. compliant systems allow a vehicle maximum of 150,000 candela while European compliant systems allow a vehicle maximum of 430,000 candela (Official Journal of the European Union, 2018 ). This provides for gains in sight distance, but also increases the potential for glare to affect oncoming and preceding traffic when high beams are not dimmed.

• The allowable mounting height limit of headlamps in UNECE regulated markets is 6.77 inches (177mm) lower than in the U.S. and UNECE regulations require increasing the downward inclination of the headlight beam as the mounting height is increased o Vehicles manufactured for a world market have a headlamp mounting height compliant with UNECE requirements, even in the U.S. version.”

GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:14 PM   #23
Silver Member

LED after market lights may require a heat sink to help keep them cool in a hosing not designed for LED. I found Philips Lighting web site has a lot of good information about the different automotive head lights they have available. On a 90 Chevy, the new plastic head lamp covers from RockAuto were a perfect fit and easily replaced the yellowed originals.
Sehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:50 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
As I (we) age I think it helps to have brighter headlights. The headlights on my Chevy Roadtrek are OK but it would be nice to have some more lumens out there. What headlight upgrades have worked well for you?

Hello here's an In-depth article I authored on upgrading your headlight lamps to Sylvania Xenon lamps it makes a world of difference. While a Class A is shown it applies to all RVs and vans. In addition, The article covers; LEDs, HID and much more enjoy. Enjoy- Mike

http://rotory.com/coach/lights/

IdleUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:40 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Learning never stops, I thought headlights have lightbulbs not lamps, well learning every day.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:08 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Learning never stops, I thought headlights have lightbulbs not lamps, well learning every day.
Thanks for the reply - LOL is that all you could possibly find wrong?

Mike
Old 12-06-2019, 11:12 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Here you go . . . . Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: png lamp.png (211.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 12-06-2019, 11:21 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Great to know, I will stay with lightbulbs.