Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2018, 05:41 PM   #61
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Well, well, well....if you had just picked up your telephone and inquired directly with Roadtrek then you would have found out that the higher end models like the RS, CS and E-TREK...are still built only when a customer actually orders one......I know because while I was on the phone with a representative from Roadtrek he told me this.... I was curious ......

YES...he told me in the last few years since Hymer purchased the company... they have been certainly ramping up production of the Carrado, Sunlight and other low priced entry level Class B's....it only takes less than one day to convert the low priced model...while it takes two to three weeks or more on the expensive models...they don't build more than a few hundred or less of the high end models each year.......

As per the BS that the quality especially for the $150,000 models... let me tell you... that no company in their right mind would ever offer a SIX YEAR warranty on something unless they were certain that it would last...it's illogical....

Yeah....go ahead and tell yourself that your 2000...is some kind of "unicorn" and because it's an early model it's worth some premium..... That's a load of crap.

Now...if you've been lucky with the service on your unit... CONGRATULATIONS... that's wonderful..... it's better to be lucky than good....

But,, if you think you can sell an almost 20 years old 2000 for more than a comparable later model because yours is older is the craziest thing I've ever heard...

As far as safety is concerned...I'd rather have a later model with electronic stability control, newer technology etc..........a 2000 vintage vehicle is ancient in 2018....

Yeah, drive it until it is no longer serviceable......I kept my vehicles a long time as well.... but, I've found that after 20 years...it's a lot harder.... I know..I had a car over 25 years old and it was a little more challenging....not impossible..but, it had to go for safety reasons....

I wouldn't compare a 30 year old car or truck to an airplane....who does that??

By the way... enjoy your Chevy... the representative at Roadtrek told me that they are the least selling models in the company line.....and the bolt on frame construction is very old school..... Apparently people either purchase the RAM Promaster or the Sprinter....more often than they do the Chevy...

The newer models on the Ram Promaster chassis are outselling the Chevy Express models at a rapid pace... people looking for a bargain are purchasing those models... If that trend continues...I could see Roadtrek discontinuing the Chevy models..?? Just me.....

My guess would be that the "customers" that are placing orders and getting them built would be mostly the dealers ordering floor stock, and then some actual customer special orders. Otherwise how would you explain the fact that dealers have new units on the floor to sell? They can't be for customer orders.

Roadtreks 6 year warranty came about because of all the problems they were having, particularly with the etreks, that was destroying their quality reputation. My bet would be that on most of the high end stuff, they lose their butt on it, but without it many folks would not buy the lithium setup. It is not illogical to put a warranty on that you know is going to cost you money, if it is the only way to get enough business to stay in business.

As to the idea that the Sprinter vans are built better than the others, or was a while ago, that may be true if comparing to the new, poorly built, cheap models, but comparing to the models that were being made at the same time as the Sprinters a few years ago, which would Chevies, they all got the same stuff put in them. The same wood frame cabinet doors with cheesy vinyl coated plywood, same carpet, same appliances, same accessories, and built in the same manner. We have seen dozens of Sprinters and dozens of Chevies from that era, and there is essentially no quality difference in the coach build from Roadtrek. The Dodges, 200 series Chevies, and older 210 Chevies predate the Sprinters so you can't realistically compare them on all counts.

The Chevies have dropped in sales volume for several reasons, with the primary one being that GM could not supply Roadtrek with all the vans they wanted. The actually had very few to sell. Add to that the fact that Roadtrek raised the price to near Sprinter levels was another factor, and was likely done to drive people to the newer designs that needed to be sold to pay the bills. I am sure Roadtrek has also quit looking at Chevy updates, also, as they likely would want to get out of the body fabrication business of add fiberglass roofs and sides. We know you like to take shots at the Chevies, but I seriously doubt the vehicle has much to do with slower sales, as the Chevies have a very good reputation in the class b market.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:02 PM   #62
BBQ
Platinum Member

Whether you think they are good or bad,
they are still selling like hotcakes.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:03 PM   #63
Site Team

"Roadtrek" has stellar brand recognition in the B-van world. "Airstream" has stellar brand recognition in the RV market in general. This fact alone guarantees plenty of sales to the uninformed (i.e., most buyers). Because of this, they both have the opportunity to get away with shabby initial construction quality. A trip to a large RV show by anyone who knows how to look beyond the glitz and quality appliances will reveal that they both take ample advantage of this opportunity: Good designs, quality materials, shameful build quality.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:02 AM   #64
Platinum Member

Roadtrek Adventuous RS1, I think you misread my post that seems to really have set you into orbit. When I said the "sweetspot" for Roadtreks was the early 2000s, I obviously meant the "sweetspot" for the Company. Perhaps I should have said Home and Park instead of Roadtrek. In those years, supply and demand were in balance, the company was still owned by the family and they made a limited number of models BASED ON MARKET DEMAND AND INTEREST AT THAT TIME. I did not mean to infer that those 15-20 year old RTs still on the road were superior to newer models.

You started this thread on August 28 as the OP by writing:

"RV .... does it sound like "ruined vacation"???

I'm beginning to think that owning an RV is one disaster after another, i.e. maintenance..
I thought my generator switch merely failed.? generator starts fine, but won't stay on....oil level is perfect.....
WTF???

Macerator failure after 7 years.... list goes on and on.......

Are you REALLY saving money using an RV over just staying in a hotel??

Frustrated......RV at the shop now...... Awaiting estimated cost...for all this.... "

Today, you go off again in this referencing my comments:

Yeah....go ahead and tell yourself that your 2000...is some kind of "unicorn" and because it's an early model it's worth some premium..... That's a load of crap.

I apologize if I offended you. Obviously, you have a sensitivity about this subject. I have had great luck with my RTs and I certainly respect your opinions and appreciate your activity on this forum. By the way, my Roadtrek is not a 2000 model but if it was, what difference would it make? Please don't take a discussion of Home and Park of Kitchener, ON as an attack on later models produced by that company.

I am sure you will continue to enjoy your Roadtrek and I will enjoy mine as well. I hope you are a happy camper or become one, as the case may be.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:38 AM   #65
Platinum Member

Quote:
I apologize if I offended you.
Don't apologize, they are being the offenders here.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:44 AM   #66
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
Don't apologize, they are being the offenders here.

I agree completely. There was no reason to go off on Doneworking.

As most of us that ever had a job have been told, or told others, more times than we would really like:

"Don't ask the questions unless you can handle the answers."
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #67
BBQ
Platinum Member

Don't be the offendee

Old 09-09-2018, 01:39 PM   #68
Site Team

Back on topic, please.
--The Moderation Team
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:14 AM   #69
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Whether you think they are good or bad,
they are still selling like hotcakes.

I totally agree with you.
Whether to buy or not, living or not living, it's just a lifestyle and the experience of life.
Monica998 is offline   Reply With Quote