Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2018, 03:29 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Default My mechanic... have known over 20 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
Well after actually owning both I can say without a doubt the I4 7speed is the better overall power train. Has you mechanic owned both ??. I doubt it.
Hmm, I wonder , do you think he has some knowledge about vehicles; he's a professional and been extensively trained..
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:04 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Hmm, I wonder , do you think he has some knowledge about vehicles; he's a professional and been extensively trained..

From what I have seen in the shops around here, there are very few highly capable mechanics around, and beside, being able to repair problems with vehicles really has nearly nothing to do with making someone more reliable a source for opinions about well they drive, as that is totally subjective.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #23
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Once in awhile, there are some posts that have me laughing. i'm not sure if I should say thanks.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:27 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Please explain why they are no longer available.... here's the thing.... many cars .. use the same engine for a really long time....for example...my car used the same engine from 1989 to 2012...then it was redesigned...

2008 to 2018 is a pretty short run.....

And the OM 642 Mercedes Benz 3 litre V6 is still in production since it was introduced in 2005....

They don't spend a lot of money for research and development of a brand new engine like the OM 654 for nothing.... that's all I'm saying.....
That's what drives me crazy about this kind of thread:
People go into it with a pre-determined belief, and simply make stuff up in an effort to support their belief. In this case:

1) The OM-651 is still very much in production (although it will soon be superseded by the OM654). It was dropped from the Sprinter due entirely to emissions-related regulatory issues. Mercedes apparently deemed it not cost-effective to certify two different diesel engines just before introducing a brand new one.

2) The claim that "2008 to 2018 is a pretty short run" is complete BS. If you look at MB 4-cylinder production starting in the 1990s, you will see that there have been five engines whose entire lifetime was in that period. The median of those lifetimes was eight years. So, even if 651 ends right now, it will be a rather old engine by modern standards.

These are simple facts, and a readily verifiable. These threads would be a lot more interesting if folks would do a little fact-checking instead of posting whatever pops into their heads to support what they want to believe.

Quote:

Plus...my over riding point was that my personal mechanic in his professional opinion was that the V6 with the 5 speed transmission was a better balanced powerplant.
I assume that this is the same "trusted mechanic" whom you have mentioned before -- the one who believes that he or she knows more about oil change intervals than the manufacturer. You will forgive me a bit of skepticism.
Quote:

You never addressed the noise factor.
That's because there isn't one.
Quote:
OK... admittedly, I have not seen any of the FOURS... heard them or driven one..... how quiet is it.. you probably did test drive each of them... please tell me...
I have already told you. This engine is a dream in almost every possible way. Just try to find owners who will say otherwise. Since you seem so motivated, I'm sure you can come up with one or two, but any honest analysis will reveal overwhelming enthusiasm for this product, including by those of us with heavy RVs.

An open mind can learn many valuable things.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:40 PM   #25
BBQ
Platinum Member

How often do you need to do a quick acceleration from 30-60?

Not in any loaded RV.

Not when you are going leisurely from Point A to Point B in your retirement/vacation.

YMMV
Old 08-29-2018, 02:47 PM   #26
Bud
Platinum Member

"An open mind can learn many valuable things."

Carl Sagan, "Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them.................

Meaning beliefs, Maintaining Beliefs becomes more important than evidence, creditble evidence, facts or the truth.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:20 PM   #27
Platinum Member

I heard ……. from very reliable sources……. unfortunately can’t disclose them……….that…… V6 Sprinters RVs are prone to macerator ……. and……. propane detector failures, I assume …… this can have something to do ……… the V6 resonance frequency ……. acting upon …….. sensitive macerator rubbery rotor and ……. a very delicate propane detector. As far as I know …….. the propane detector ……. in Avanti’s L4 is absolutely foolproof.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:48 PM   #28
Platinum Member

To go back to your original question - ie economics of RV'ing.

I have tried to do a comparison of a month or two away in an RV versus staying in rental accommodation & driving a smaller car several times - calculations on the back of napkins to pass time while awaiting restaurant food !

It really seems to me that especially if - like us - you do eat our now and then, there is little if anything to be saved by RV ownership when factoring in all the mtce and ownership costs - and assuming that you don't go five star in hotel stays in the comparison.

I have always felt it is completely a life-style choice rather than a matter of economics. That is what t is for me in any event!

If that doesn't work for you, I could certainly understand why you may be considering getting out of the van. I'm sure you wouldn't be the first to come to that conclusion!

I suppose also it could be a position one takes that changes over time.

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:24 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post

I have tried to do a comparison of a month or two away in an RV versus staying in rental accommodation & driving a smaller car several times - calculations on the back of napkins to pass time while awaiting restaurant food !

It really seems to me that especially if - like us - you do eat our now and then, there is little if anything to be saved by RV ownership when factoring in all the mtce and ownership costs - and assuming that you don't go five star in hotel stays in the comparison.

I have always felt it is completely a life-style choice rather than a matter of economics. That is what t is for me in any event!

If that doesn't work for you, I could certainly understand why you may be considering getting out of the van. I'm sure you wouldn't be the first to come to that conclusion!

Brian.
Have tried to do similar. Essentially over a ten year time-line I figure I spend a sunk cost of like $7,000k ($120K new to $50K used after 10-years). Last week we spent ~$700 for a week in GA which includes gas, food and State Park Fee's. If we do that for 3-mos each year that will be ~$9K so we are investing in the RV life-style for like $16-20K a year.

This gives us 3 mos of adventure where previously we would easily go to Miami for 5-7 days and leave with a cost of $2500 to $3000 so in our minds, RVing is expensive but we get 2-3 times the adventure (cost-wise) over how we typically use to vacation.

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:09 AM   #30
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post

D
Brian.
When I travel I stay a few days and then move on. Since it takes me 3 nights to get used to a bed and sleep, hotels leave me sleep deprived. I'm vegan, eating at restaurants is difficult. We eat much better in the coach. Comparing the economics of coach versus hotels and restaurants is an exercise in irrelevancy, either I can afford coach travel or I stay home, that's the only economics relevant to me. Within that constraint the relative total ownership costs of various coaches does matter to me and since I have considerable maintenance skills I can buy older coaches with lower depreciation.
jaak1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:12 AM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33602 View Post
Have tried to do similar. Essentially over a ten year time-line I figure I spend a sunk cost of like $7,000k ($120K new to $50K used after 10-years). Last week we spent ~$700 for a week in GA which includes gas, food and State Park Fee's. If we do that for 3-mos each year that will be ~$9K so we are investing in the RV life-style for like $16-20K a year.

This gives us 3 mos of adventure where previously we would easily go to Miami for 5-7 days and leave with a cost of $2500 to $3000 so in our minds, RVing is expensive but we get 2-3 times the adventure (cost-wise) over how we typically use to vacation.

Interesting!

I'm not big on pretentious hotels nor fancy restaurants, although I guess we could pay for them if so inclined! Had lots of those when the company I worked for was paying the shot!

I still prefer a simple lifestyle with nature around me, so the RV life still suits me just fine for now, whether it costs me more or less!.

I think that is what it comes down to! I still don't mind fixing things on the RV now and then too if I have to, just not too, too often I hope with our new one!

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:00 AM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I heard ……. from very reliable sources……. unfortunately can’t disclose them……….that…… V6 Sprinters RVs are prone to macerator ……. and……. propane detector failures, I assume …… this can have something to do ……… the V6 resonance frequency ……. acting upon …….. sensitive macerator rubbery rotor and ……. a very delicate propane detector. As far as I know …….. the propane detector ……. in Avanti’s L4 is absolutely foolproof.

GEORGE - love your sense of humor.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:13 PM   #33
Mfm
Bronze Member

Default How to get on the RoadTrek site

HI all....been following the Class B site for a long time....would like to also join the RoadTrek site but have either lost un and pw or just having some other problem...not sure what and have tried contacting the administrators and have not received a response....any ideas?

Also, are there any class B or roadtrek RV groups located in Orange County, CA that organize trips ... would like to start using my RT more.

Thanks in advance

Mike
Mfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:16 PM   #34
Platinum Member

We love our RV. I say it's the "Best irrational expense" we ever made. In the past we would plan for maybe one week of vacation plus holiday time off... now we are away almost every weekend and take two week long + vacations during RV season. We live in New England and have a ton of great places to go for short weekends (within 2 hours) and longer trips (6 hours plus). We did think of the hotel option instead... but honestly we never would have booked hotels like we do campgrounds. My wife was't into "camping" but LOVES getting away in the RV. Just last weekend we woke up in Vermont over looking a pretty lake, sitting outside with the view, Nespresso coffee, and blues playing on a bluetooth speaker. PERFECT.

That being said the first year we lost 8 weeks in the season and it took about 6 months of the year to get our new van sorted. This season it has worked 100%. We knew that going in so that helped with the frustration.

Note - we own a 2017 Roadtrek SS Agile with Alde and no propane. We rented a class B first and spent a lot of time working on what we really wanted. The van has met all our requirements.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:33 PM   #35
Bronze Member

I have a 2012 RT 190 Popular and it took me four years to understand it completely. I actually built an add on to my existing garage to house it, just so I could work on it. I have NEVER gone on a trip that it didn't require attention when I got back. Still, it's the best way to see the USA there is. We just got back from a 5,000 mile trip from Texas to Maine and back it was flawless. The Chevy van chassis is bullet proof, it's just the rest of the stuff that demands occasional attention. Dave W
DWorrell3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:39 PM   #36
Silver Member

To answer the original question, I think it totally depends on where you're coming from when you enter the RV lidestyle. We had yachts for 15 years before we switched to our Class B. Our basic maintenance budget alone was $10k per year, and that didn't include major systems failures or optional upgrades. Dockage was another $8k for our 36 foot yacht and $12k when we owned a 50 footer. So in comparison to that our RV is very economical. And when it comes to operational problems of every kind, the RV is sooooo much easier. No hurricanes. No worries about dragging anchor in the middle of the night. No $20k fines for fuel spills. And my personal favorite: RV's do not sink.
VanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:02 PM   #37

I have a 2000 Roadtrek Versatile 200 too! I LOVE it. Sure it comes with it's set of issues, maintenance and fixing things but it is a joy to travel in it....and I like sleeping in my pwn bed each night too.
I have some mold/mildew around the perimeter of the back cushions. I leave them flat and the bed made. I think the rear window had a tiny leak and the water dispersed around the perimeter of the cushions.
I took it to be detailed which did mostly nothing. I've tried CLR and there is still a mold smell.
Any suggestions to get the mold out of the upholstery?
lisalmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:09 PM   #38

Quote:
RV .... does it sound like "ruined vacation"???

I'm beginning to think that owning an RV is one disaster after another, i.e. maintenance..

I thought my generator switch merely failed.? generator starts fine, but won't stay on....oil level is perfect.....WTF???

Macerator failure after 7 years.... list goes on and on.......

Are you REALLY saving money using an RV over just staying in a hotel??

Frustrated......RV at the shop now...... Awaiting estimated cost...for all this....
After 40 years of RVs and campers, as well as being a detailed problem solving person; I really had to learn and accept that boats and campers are always going to have challenges. No matter how hard you try to learn and plan, things will still go awry. My husband used to tell me that right about the time you figure everything out about your RV and it’s unique issues, you get a new RV and start the process all over. The newer RVs are increasingly newer technology but luckily we have great access to help on the internet.

For some people, the anxiety over the unexpected is just too hard to deal with. So be good to yourself, if the benefits don’t out weigh the anxiety RVs may not be for you.
nnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:14 PM   #39

It’s time to get a little more handy and do it yourself meaning maintenance learn about the unit you have.
Or just get hotel rooms and do it that way just like you said.
Darrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:25 PM   #40

Default Would you do it again?

You bet! Buying my first rv, a tent would not last long so we moved to a pop-up, then to a 22' trailer, and then a class c. This is our first class B, a pleasure-way. Simplicity and fit and finish seems to be some of their guide words, gravity never fails for the tanks. Macerators? I listened to the stories. I hope some people have no issues at all. As far as flying, renting cars, and staying in motels for us just wouldn't do. Even driving to hotel after hotel unloading the car is not our cup of espresso. Stopping where we want to take pictures, grab a quick bite, or just closing all the blinds and.......! It just makes us feel young again. I do all of the repairs especially on the coach (even though it has a 5-year warranty) not so much on the chassis as it is under Sprinter warranty. I've found a few things I would have done better so I do just like I would do on my home. We've never gotten into a spread sheet to see what kind of expense hotel vs RV living is all about. It was and is never about the money for this chosen lifestyle. Meeting other wonderful people on the road to chat is another plus that we never found staying in a motel. Some of my daughter's fondest memories were camping in that little 10' pop-up. Now at 32 years old she still wants to travel with us but our class B just sleeps 2....perfect!! Someday if she and her family wish to pitch a tent next to us we'd love to have them enjoy the nature of RV'ing. I just enjoy making the upgrades/modifications and waxing the little bugger. If it had to sit in a shop months at a time I may have to rethink the Class B we've chosen, BUT there would still be another RV traveling with us.
BrandonB is offline   Reply With Quote