Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #21
Gold Member

You don't have to use lead acid wet batteries there are AGM batteries that last longer and can carry bigger loads. They can even run a food AC system for couple hours with only two batteries

QUOTE=Monica998;80674]Cannot imagine living in the RVs for most of the time, the space is also limited and have some inconvenience because of the insufficient lead-acid power supply at present.[/QUOTE]
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBrv View Post
I'm planning on full timing in a couple years or so. Travato GL is the early leading choice, might start another thread on that...
Steve are you in the Travato Facebook group? Several folks there are full timers...Lots of lithium news and tips too

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:20 PM   #23
Bronze Member

I've been living in my 2002 Roadtrek 190 since January 2016. I pull a 8x5 enclosed trailer (my garage) with a motorcycle.
Hope I never live in a stick house again
AnFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:49 PM   #24
Gold Member

Many full timers are on FB, Travato Owners and Wannabes.
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:17 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnFear View Post
I've been living in my 2002 Roadtrek 190 since January 2016. I pull a 8x5 enclosed trailer (my garage) with a motorcycle.
Hope I never live in a stick house again
I'm been thinking about getting some sort of trailer too, as I want to take an EZ-Up canopy and exercise pens for my dogs, as well as some other gear, but I was thinking of a smaller sports cargo trailer. I've only pulled a U-Haul trailer or a flatbed trailer in the past (years ago). Have you had any issues with pulling a trailer? How much does it affect your gas mileage? Any other helpful info is appreciated! I have a 1999 RT 190.
Pam G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:52 AM   #26
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
I hope you have a great supply of SUNSCREEN.......

The person we know is a volunteer for the state parks... gets a FREE place to live...free electricity and is usually at the beach in the summer.... don't know about winter ...

There's not much room inside.... even my RS Adventurous model is just a little bit larger at just under 23 feet....

Do you use the shower a lot...it has an aisle shower drain in the floor????

The Chevy Express is nice... just eats a lot of gasoline....??

I spend six months a year in Key West, so, YES, I have a lot of Sunscreen .
Yes, I use the Shower regularly. Showering in the Aisle, surrounded by the Curtain, provides plenty of elbow room. Much more convenient than a wet bath. No need to wipe down the entire Bathroom.

As for gas mileage, I squeeze 17 MPG with a very light right foot and 60-65 top speed. I was getting 14 MPG. Dumping some unnecessary weight and slowing down has made all the difference.
angelmroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:55 AM   #27
Platinum Member

I'm planning to full-time when I retire. Not permanently, but probably for 3 or 4 years while I'm still young and healthy enough to enjoy that type of adventure. Also, plenty of people live in vans full-time, they are all over the internet, particularly on YouTube. I follow a few of them, just to learn and get ideas about things that I wouldn't necessarily think of.
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:57 AM   #28
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1998RD View Post
You don't have to use lead acid wet batteries there are AGM batteries that last longer and can carry bigger loads. They can even run a food AC system for couple hours with only two batteries
AGM batteries, OK. Do you think it's a great substitute for the lead acid batteries? Any other options?
Monica998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:41 AM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica998 View Post
AGM batteries, OK. Do you think it's a great substitute for the lead acid batteries? Any other options?
AGM is not substitute to a Lead Acid Battery, it is a Lead Acid Battery assembled differently than a Flooded (wet) Lead Acid Battery. AGM is Absorbent Glass Mat.

I have AGM batteries and will continue to use them as long their price to performance ratio meets my needs. I have the 230 Ah battery bank fully adequate for my requirements for diesel/electric van camper. My main electric appliance is the Isotherm compressor fridge.

I will change to Li battery once it can meet my price to performance ratio, it will likely be a while as I will need to change charging devices powered by PV, alternator and shore AC.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:14 AM   #30
Bronze Member

I haven't had any issues with the trailer other than carrying more than I should just because I can. Parking is a bit more of a hassle but I can fit (just) into say two regular spaces in a parking lot.
Gas mileage is always between 12 and 14 with or without the trailer. Mountains and wind seem to affect the mileage more. Then again the trailer holds my bike which gets over 40 mpg
Old 09-14-2018, 06:52 PM   #31
Platinum Member

I think our RT Agile is perfect for how we currently use it. Not retired so we use it for day trips, weekends, and one or two week vacations. However, after 8 days almost dry camping (only had electric hook up (for AC)) for full timing I would want more space including a bathroom with a dry bath and more importantly more tank capacity...

In the past I thought a larger trailer or class A was just too big... However, if we were full timing (even before retirement and working from the camp) I can see the benefit of having an established base camp and a smaller car to drive. Good space for living, good storage, good size tanks and can be mobile to explore.

At first I was looking at large Tiffin/Newmar class A's... I would prefer to drive a big coach and have a smaller car then a larger trailer (e.g. a 5th wheel) and driving still a large truck once you get there. However, the typical class A concerns me from a safety perspective and still not totally jazzed about slides... my current thinking is a restored BlueBird Wanderlodge... gasp... solidly built, initial affordability, very safe construction and lots of fuel, water, black tank, and propane (45 gallons... yes gallons) capacity. I hear the shorter coaches (31 or 33 feet) are actually pretty good on rough roads (fire road, ets.). Could do a ton of boondocking with a setup like that. Use the bird as a base camp and tow a Jeep Wrangler for offroad and occasional 2 day remote tent camping trips.

Anyway, we are a couple years way from that situation so for now our Class B is perfect for us.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:25 PM   #32
Bronze Member

I actually just bought a 1984 Wanderlodge and I'm in the process of upgrading it to use in the future. I initially thought I would use it to replace my Roadtrek but decided against it. I now see that for me the Roadtrek is much better for the traveling I like to do. Pulling a trailer with a motorcycle makes it even better. I'm now thinking of my Wanderlodge as my "house". Albeit a house with wheels.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:43 AM   #33
Platinum Member

I would LOVE to, and plan to live in my Class B full time upon retirement...

...Now, how LONG I end up doing that is up for grabs?
3 months?
6 months?
3 years?
6 years?

I lived out of a van for 2 years when I was younger, but my standards of comfort are little higher now..
I'll tell you after I've done it...
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:09 AM   #34
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
AGM is not substitute to a Lead Acid Battery, it is a Lead Acid Battery assembled differently than a Flooded (wet) Lead Acid Battery. AGM is Absorbent Glass Mat.

I have AGM batteries and will continue to use them as long their price to performance ratio meets my needs. I have the 230 Ah battery bank fully adequate for my requirements for diesel/electric van camper. My main electric appliance is the Isotherm compressor fridge.

I will change to Li battery once it can meet my price to performance ratio, it will likely be a while as I will need to change charging devices powered by PV, alternator and shore AC.
OK, but the deep cycle A.G.M. batteries can only be discharged to 50%, so would you like to consider to change the LiFePO4 batteries in the future?
Old 09-15-2018, 07:42 AM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
OK, but the deep cycle A.G.M. batteries can only be discharged to 50%, so would you like to consider to change the LiFePO4 batteries in the future?
I would consider any battery technology which would meet my needs and not cause bleeding edge dilemma. AGM batteries can be discharged to any level but longevity will be diminished. Same issue with Li batteries but different numbers.

I hope that in time the charging appliances will catch up with Li batteries. I have the 2013 Magnum MMS1012 and Mornigstar MPPT 45 and neither one has an easy option for Li charging regime. In addition, I use engine alternator to charge my AGM directly, I would need to solve this as well, so, WHY?

My AGM setup is sufficient for the 12V fridge. For other energy hogs I use:
Stove – AC shore or ethanol,
Hot water – AC shore or diesel
Space heating – diesel.

Li battery is only a temporary electrical energy source - a buffer, it needs to be recharged to become an energy source. You still need diesel, gasoline, LPG fuel or AC shore to get electrical energy. I doubt I will see Li to be used for water or space heating soon, so it is only a partial solution costing a lot.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:54 AM   #36
Gold Member

Quote:
I would consider any battery technology which would meet my needs and not cause bleeding edge dilemma. AGM batteries can be discharged to any level but longevity will be diminished. Same issue with Li batteries but different numbers.

I hope that in time the charging appliances will catch up with Li batteries. I have the 2013 Magnum MMS1012 and Mornigstar MPPT 45 and neither one has an easy option for Li charging regime. In addition, I use engine alternator to charge my AGM directly, I would need to solve this as well, so, WHY?

My AGM setup is sufficient for the 12V fridge. For other energy hogs I use:
Stove – AC shore or ethanol,
Hot water – AC shore or diesel
Space heating – diesel.

Li battery is only a temporary electrical energy source - a buffer, it needs to be recharged to become an energy source. You still need diesel, gasoline, LPG fuel or AC shore to get electrical energy. I doubt I will see Li to be used for water or space heating soon, so it is only a partial solution costing a lot.
Everything cannot be only judged from the cost, the LiFePO4 has its own special advantages, such as, 1. Environmental protection. 2. Long-Life cycle battery, more than 1000 times and be up to 5-8 years cycle life. 3. The rate of self-discharge is much lower than the others. Suffer from no ageing after long storage. 4. The maximum discharge current of LiFePO4 battery can be 300A, which can have 3000W load capacity continuously, and can supply the power for the large electrical equipment and other household appliances simultaneously, like the air conditioners, refrigerator, washing machine, microwave oven, taking a shower and watching TV etc.. just working at the same time. Make you feel like at home!
Old 09-15-2018, 09:11 AM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Everything cannot be only judged from the cost, the LiFePO4 has its own special advantages, such as, 1. Environmental protection, 2. Long-Life cycle battery, more than 1000 times and be up to 5-8 years cycle life. 3. The rate of self-discharge is much lower than*the others. Suffer from no ageing after long storage. 4. The maximum discharge current of LiFePO4 battery can be 300A, which can have 3000W load capacity continuously, and can supply the power for the large electrical equipment and other household appliances simultaneously, like the air conditioners etc.. Just feel like home!
It is not just cost, but cost for performance needed, for example - 3000W inverter for me would be like getting a Yugo car with a jet engine good enough for to propel it to 1000m/h. Li talking points for me are just what it is, the talking points. AGM is sufficient and my van is not home, it is The Camper Van.

If I need all comforts of home I would stay at home.

If you match AGM $/Ah at 12V at lower weight than I would consider and invest in changing my charging system. Li batteries are popular in early adapter market segment, I don’t see why should I be in that market segment.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:39 AM   #38
Gold Member

Quote:
It is not just cost, but cost for performance needed, for example - 3000W inverter for me would be like getting a Yugo car with a jet engine good enough for to propel it to 1000m/h. Li talking points for me are just what it is, the talking points. AGM is sufficient and my van is not home, it is The Camper Van.

If I need all comforts of home I would stay at home.

If you match AGM $/Ah at 12V at lower weight than I would consider and invest in changing my charging system. Li batteries are popular in early adapter market segment, I don’t see why should I be in that market segment.
What I said is for the people who like travelling in RVs/caravans at full-time and also want to get much more comfortable in the journey!
Please see the above title, thanks!
Old 09-15-2018, 11:21 AM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
What I said is for the people who like travelling in RVs/caravans at full-time and also want to get much more comfortable in the journey!
Please see the above title, thanks!
I am looking forward to see your product information. You have chosen "interesting" marketing to get into NA market. Will AliExpress become your distribution channel or you will have NA distributors?

Good luck,
Old 09-15-2018, 12:39 PM   #40
Bronze Member

I am a full-timer in my Carado Axion van (the smallest fully self-contained Class B on the market now at 17 ft 9 in; it's on the Promaster 1500 chassis with solar, Ecotrek 400 lithiums, and underhood generator). I work full time as a high school teacher, and I park in DC behind a townhouse with 20 amp electric hook-ups. The van is my only vehicle. I recently sold my condo and my SUV, and I love the decision: the freedom, the increased social contact, living a minimalist life without all the meaningless stuff, and the incredible savings from this lifestyle. I am single without pets. It is not for everyone, but if it fits the vision of the type of life you would like to live, then it could potentially be the best decision you could make.
kmrotterdam is offline   Reply With Quote