Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2018, 07:13 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Would you OR do you live in your Class B?

Seems like I've read that some people make this work...I guess?

If you are on the these folks, how's that working for you and are you actually saving money over a traditional home base with the extra expenses for insurance, parks, fuel, maintenance and other repairs?

How many miles per day do you travel? I've noticed that some people say they drive in excess of 25,000 miles or more per year.... that's almost a 100 miles per day every day.....?

Share your experiences... I guess it's quite an adventure...and you could say your always home wherever your rig is?
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:11 AM   #2
Bronze Member

Lots of great full timer YouTube vlogers out there to learn from. I like Carey On Vagabond the best. Very upbeat and fun loving couple.

I would like to try full timing for a year or so just to see if I could.
Chris Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
I've noticed that some people say they drive in excess of 25,000 miles or more per year.... that's almost a 100 miles per day every day.....?
Or, it is almost 500 miles per week every week. Not the same thing.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:39 PM   #4
Platinum Member

25K is 68 miles a day which isn't much. I used to drive that many miles going to work and back, plus work all day.

A mentioned, drive 500 miles in one day and sit someplace nice for a week is a whole lot different than driving 1/7th of it everyday, when traveling.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:29 PM   #5
Platinum Member

We have put on >90,000 miles in just over 3 years. From the middle of Oklahoma, we are looking at 500-1,000 miles each way each trip before we get to somewhere we want to be. Our trips range from a few weeks to a few months, not counting the nearby park we frequent in the winter. We have a child on each coast—SF and NH.

I’d guess we spend more than half our nights in the van. Add in foreign travel, and the house becomes more like a supply depot than a home. The van has become my home.

A neighbor said our house is owned by two cats who live there full-time. A couple of humans visit them occasionally. (This saintly neighbor visits every day.)

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:43 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hayden View Post
Lots of great full timer YouTube vlogers out there to learn from. I like Carey On Vagabond the best. Very upbeat and fun loving couple.
The Careys are great. There is also the pair that do Fit RV... and We're the Russos.

All three of these couples are full timing in a Class B... The Careys have a Zion SRT, FitRV has a Travato, and the Russos have an Activ.

If I were to full time, I'd go with something a bit bigger... like another LTV.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:39 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
The Careys are great. There is also the pair that do Fit RV... and We're the Russos.

All three of these couples are full timing in a Class B... The Careys have a Zion SRT, FitRV has a Travato, and the Russos have an Activ.

If I were to full time, I'd go with something a bit bigger... like another LTV.
I agree they are all fun to watch! I think I enjoy the Carey's most though! I also watch "B" youtube videos from the Wendlyns as well as from "George" at Humble Road who seems to be doing an excellent job of putting together hs own design Sprinter van. Looks like he is setting up to go into business - I'm sure his vans will be low production volume, very expensive, but ver well thought out!

Love his sense of humour in the videos!

I have just followed one of the "Mods" on a Plateau he owns and installed a large extra shelf over the cab area as explained in one of his videos - easy, cheap, and no holes to drill!

We will likely use it for all our bedding, and free up the back overhead cabinet.

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:21 AM   #8
Gold Member

I would live in my SS Agile if I was single... I live in a 162sqft tiny house with the wifey and the mutt. Couldn't manage them in the Sprinter. Just not enough room. We could go for a few months, but not permanently.
bigfelipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:11 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Default Miles driven and full timing

We have no near term plans for full timing - think FT in our 06 RT Adventurous would be a challenge. As for miles, we have only done 3 big trips and a few shorter ones. Retired now so use increasing, and bigger trips on horizon. On first trip I pulled a 600 mile day, which at that time I thought would be an upper limit, but on last trip I pulled 815 in a day pulling a toad, and really didn't mind it all that much, since I find the seats comfortable and the ride easy. I consider driving less stressful than a car or suv.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:13 PM   #10

If I were single I would definitely live in the B for a few years and travel. Drive 300-500 miles than sit in an area and explore for a week or so, then move on. Follow the warmer temps staying south in the winters, and north in the summers. Occasional trips to the snowy climates to get my fill or winter.

Having spent months in my B at a time, it was easy to get acclimated to the smaller space and less possessions holding me down. I found an easy routine to make it work, and lived out of the van rather than in it. Its my 'steel backpack and tent' so to speak.

Unfortunately, I can only get a couple months away to travel at a time. Its a good compromise with the significant other homebody who doesn't want to leave the Northeast and move to warmer climates, and my need to ditch the winters and also feed my wanderlust cravings. She also visits once or twice while I'm on the road as her vacation time away from the winter. It works very well for us.

But yes, I would and easily could full time in a class B for extended periods of time (at least a year, most likely much longer) until I run out of new places to see.
Reflex439 is offline   Reply With Quote