Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Would you or do you tow anything behind your Class B RV?
Yes, I do or would tow a car or other motorized vehicle or a trailer 41 51.90%
No, I won't tow anything behind my Class B RV 30 37.97%
I use or would use a dolly to tow my vehicle 0 0%
I tow or would tow a vehicle with 4 wheels on the road 8 10.13%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2020, 01:24 AM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes47 View Post
I wouldn't tow behind my "B" for camping or recreational purposes. However, I have towed a rented trailer from one side of the state to the other to deliver some furniture to my son. I might also rent a trailer next year when we move to the other side of the state.
I don't use my "B" for camping or recreational purposes. I use it for traveling! And I haul some of the comforts of home in the trailer.
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:23 PM   #42
g1g
Platinum Member

This is something I have tossed around for quite a while. I have towed many trailers before but never with my B and if I did I'm not sure how comfortable my wife would be driving. I would also have concerns about weight also. If I had all the time in the world and would stop often and really needed the space I might but I am not sure.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:39 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Default Hold that thought...

Leaving a small trailer behind is useful to hold your campsite, when you're off sightseeing or going into town.
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:58 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic7320 View Post
Leaving a small trailer behind is useful to hold your campsite, when you're off sightseeing or going into town.
In a developed campsite, yes, though it's not usually needed, assuming sites are assigned. It can provide a place to lock up stuff you don't want growing legs.

Boondocking, you might return to find it gone.

There are lots of security products designed for small trailers, most easily defeated by a thief with a few basic tools. Best option is a hidden GPS tracker.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:27 PM   #45

Default Don't Forget About Boats!

I pull this Hewes Jet Boat all over the Northwest - year round.

Fish and Boat during the day - nice camping at night.

Never had a problem with towing - only Joy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_37eb.jpg (381.5 KB, 19 views)
BoiseAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:40 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Confusing poll, because the last two choices overlap the first, so the totals and percentages don’t really mean anything. Something like this might give a clearer picture.
  • I flat tow a motor vehicle (4 wheels on the ground)
  • I tow a motor vehicle using a trailer or dolly
  • I tow something else
  • I do not tow
It wouldn't hurt to add other common types of trailers to the survey options. Cargo, boat, and camping trailers have all been mentioned, although dinghies seem to be the OP's primary interest. That would broaden the interest of the survey, since (no surprise) dinghies are relatively uncommon among Class B owners.

The distinction between what people are actually doing versus what they would or might do adds an unnecessary layer of confusion. I’m far more interested in what people are actually doing. I myself think about a whole lot of things that are highly unlikely to happen in the real world... like towing a Miata.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:59 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
In a developed campsite, yes, though it's not usually needed, assuming sites are assigned. It can provide a place to lock up stuff you don't want growing legs.

Boondocking, you might return to find it gone.

There are lots of security products designed for small trailers, most easily defeated by a thief with a few basic tools. Best option is a hidden GPS tracker.
Excellent points, and yes there are lots of deterrent devices. One of the big things to consider is to make your trailer distinctive enough for law enforcement to spot it if it is stolen. Something along the lines of a vinyl cut out design on the side. Just plain white trailers are real hard for law enforcement to spot!!!
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:05 AM   #48
Platinum Member

Of course, everyone has the right to travel in whatever way suits them, but towing a passenger vehicle behind a van that's already small enough to go just about anywhere makes no sense at all to me. As I see it, the primary benefit to owning a class B is that they can go most places any passenger vehicle can go. Even if you want to do some mild to moderate off-roading, a properly equipped class B can easily handle that too. Also, you have theft to worry about, since you will be leaving either your van or your tow vehicle unattended much of the time.

That said, the one thing I would consider using a hitch for is a carrier for bikes or maybe a light-weight motor cycle, just for fun. That's my 2 cents.
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 12:48 PM   #49
Platinum Member

I had a coworker who had this expression; not sure why she would say this, but she would say "like the woman who kissed the cow, to each his own." This thread brings this to mind.

I don't know about other Class B's but a 22' sprinter does not go anywhere a car can. I really like having the runaround car at my destination. It just depends on where you like to go and comfort level with towing. We are often in little towns with narrow streets, limited parking and low hanging trees over the neighborhood streets. It works dor us and the "fuel penalty" is minimal.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 03:40 PM   #50
Platinum Member

Funny the difference a preposition makes.

If someone says, “towing makes no sense for me,” I completely understand and feel no need to respond. Preferences are just that. But when another says, “towing makes no sense to me,” there’s an implied judgment that I am somehow less “enlightened” as to the highest and best use of a B.

Perhaps for others towing is also a great mystery that requires its own kind of “enlightenment”...
Old 12-23-2020, 11:07 AM   #51
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Funny the difference a preposition makes.

If someone says, “towing makes no sense for me,” I completely understand and feel no need to respond. Preferences are just that. But when another says, “towing makes no sense to me,” there’s an implied judgment that I am somehow less “enlightened” as to the highest and best use of a B.

Perhaps for others towing is also a great mystery that requires its own kind of “enlightenment”...
That's just semantical nonsense. Every comment here is just someone's opinion. No qualifiers or coded language are necessary if you understand that.
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:00 PM   #52

We are waiting on a tandem axle 6x12 enclosed trailer to come in. Interested to see what the “windy” driving will feel like. We have a 2020 ext 4wd TB.
Sheriff Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:04 PM   #53
Platinum Member

We own a 2020 Galleria. We used it to tow an enclosed trailer with a sports car inside at the end of this past April. The trip was about 750 miles round trip. I was pleased with the performance of our Galleria.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060458.jpg (415.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-09-2021, 05:31 PM   #54
Platinum Member

Default New Toad Rig Tested Out

I recently replace my 2005 Subaru Forester (manual) Toad with a 2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (automatic). The test drive went well. I am pulling it with a 2006 Roadtrek (diesel Sprinter).

The Jeep is about 1000 lbs heavier than the Forester and the bracket location is quite a bit higher, necessitating a 6" receiver lift adapter. The Jeep towing prep process is also a lot more involved than the "put it on neutral and go" Subaru. The Jeep also requires a special harness to power the steering assist when being towed. So on top of powering the Brake Buddy, a battery tender is a must.

The good news is all the configuration was within my DIY abilities. Last but not least, I mated up the trademark Trailhawk recovery hooks to an extra pair of towing bracket arms, so the Jeep keeps its cool points when not being towed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0609211230a_HDR.jpg (393.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 0609211230_HDR.jpg (407.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 0607211425.jpg (258.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-26-2021, 05:23 PM   #55
Bronze Member

This thread interests me because I dabble in the vintage car hobby. I've considered whether my 2000 PW Excel could haul an old car home on a car hauler trailer or not. I used to have a dually pickup for such adventures but now the only vehicle I have with a tow package is the B. It has the hitch and wiring but does it have what it takes to drag a 4000 lb car on a 1500 trailer 1000 miles? I'm not sure.
RV-there-yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:33 PM   #56

Default PW towing capacity

If I am not mistaken your PW is on a Sprinter Chassis.

Maximum towing capacity for a Sprinter 3500 with duallies is 5,000 lb, with a maximum tongue weight of 500 lb.

In addition a consideration is the GVWR of the vehicle, which on a 3500 is 15,250 lbs. The tongue weight factors in here.

Also look at Occupant and Cargo Carrying Capacity, which is the net load you can place in the vehicle with full fluids. Again, tongue weight is a factor in this figure.

Finally, the entire tongue weight will add to the rear axle weight, so the GAWR for the rear axle factors in.

Offhand, it sounds like you want to tow 5,500 pounds, which will exceed the ratings and limitations. Could you get away with it -- maybe.

Also consider the weight rating of your trailer tires with respect to the tare and load of your trailer.
White Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:37 PM   #57
Bronze Member

Not a Sprinter. My PW is built on a Dodge Ram Van 3500. Whereas my dually pickup had a big block V8, the PW only has a 5.9L V8. I don't know what the van weighs (need to put it on a scale some day) but it's probably pretty close to the GVWR with all the RV add ons.

Could it do it? My impression is "maybe" but not well. Especially in the mountainous region where I live.
RV-there-yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:36 PM   #58
Platinum Member

First find the towing capacity and GVWR for the dodge base model, and the new GVWR after conversion. Subtract the difference in GVWRs from the towing capacity. If this reduced number is greater than the weight you want to tow, tongue weight is below the allowable limit, and your components (hitch receiver, adapters, etc.) are rated at our above towed weight you should be ok.
Old 06-27-2021, 01:44 AM   #59
Platinum Member

Yes, I tow heavy loads with my Roadtrek but not when travelling for pleasure. It's a 1 ton van so if something needs moved beyond the capability of my Grand Cherokee the van does it and does it better.
Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:50 AM   #60
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engnrsrule View Post
First find the towing capacity and GVWR for the dodge base model, and the new GVWR after conversion. Subtract the difference in GVWRs from the towing capacity. If this reduced number is greater than the weight you want to tow, tongue weight is below the allowable limit, and your components (hitch receiver, adapters, etc.) are rated at our above towed weight you should be ok.
How does a conversion change the GVWR? Mine is 9600#, same as the pre-conversion Chevy Express 3500. What’s different are the curb weight and the OCCC. The former increases and the latter decreases by the weight of the conversion.

To asses towing capacity, start with an axle-by-axle weight of your fully loaded van with all passengers, gear, and supplies on board. Compare them to the axle, vehicle, and combined weight ratings of the chassis to see if you have enough reserve capacity for the hitch weight and total weight of the trailer and any towing equipment you will need to install.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote