Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2016, 03:10 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Wow, you guys called it - Roadtrek now part of Hymer!

Roadtrek now part of largest motorhome manufacturer in the worldRoadtreking : The RV Lifestyle Blog
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:17 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I think it was pretty clear what would happen. As predicted here.

Do you all think it will be for the better, or worse?
Old 02-23-2016, 03:19 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I would not be surprised to start seeing the Roadtrek products drop off, one by one, as the new Hymer stuff is announced. Production capacity has to be re-assigned or new capacity created to bring all this Hymer stuff to market.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:20 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Did not take much clairvoyance to see it coming...

After touring the plant last week, I can almost guarantee they will be expanding their production space somehow even if they eliminate current models. The place is packed to the gills currently...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:26 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Watch the video in the story for more info...
Old 02-23-2016, 03:29 PM   #6
Site Team

This calls two questions:
1) Can Americans be sold on the euro aesthetic and style of manufacturing?
2) Can Hymer succeed at reforming RT's shoddy construction habits?

In both cases, I hope so.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:31 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I've looked at all the Hymer products and can only surmise the grass is greener because they are different. The only real difference they have is the Hymer Van which is a Class C in America but still has a more true van size than say LTV offerings. That concept can create better plans for true Van size especially for storage but was a concept abandoned years ago in American RVing I imagine because of better roads, RVing habits and American penchant for bigger is better.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:34 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Great news except for one huge mistake, "Roadtrek’s management team remains".

Good luck with that one, Hymer.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:37 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostalli View Post

No kiddin...

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:59 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Now that Hymer has a foothold on US/Canadian soil, I wonder when they can start doing true European rigs with the innovative floorplans.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:33 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Finally, confirmed! The mariage of convenience is celebrated.
The surprise: Jim Hammil seemed to have been instrumental in the union, so he stays. He got himself a 3 year probation!

They are building a new plant in Kitchener. Very exciting to see how this will influence future B offsprings and for sure, a lot of compact class Cs and big As.

I agree with davydd, the compact class C might be the real market game changer, but better designed and more contemporary class A is something that might also change the RV scene. Hymer is very conservative in Europe in terms of interior and exterior design. They build what the customers want. They don't offer products that are ahead of people's taste, so the danger is making compromises with North American RV industry very low material culture. The real benefit might be more industrialized production techniques that will offer better fit and finish and maybe, but only maybe, slightly more affordable RVs. The other manufacturers I'm sure are Whining!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2388992&type=3

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:34 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostalli View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
No kiddin...
I can't believe Hymer is so incompetent to leave Jim in place long term.
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:34 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
Now that Hymer has a foothold on US/Canadian soil, I wonder when they can start doing true European rigs with the innovative floorplans.
Did they really mentioned that Hymer products will be available in Canada?
I guess it will eventually be the case.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:46 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
I agree with davydd, the compact class C might be the real market game changer, but better designed and more contemporary class A is something that might also change the RV scene.
Winnebago has had a lot of success in the small C market, so Hymer must be planning to enter that market. More quality competition would be welcome, but a Jim Hammil-Hymer C would have to be really compelling for me to pick it over a Trend or View.
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:46 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I would not be surprised to start seeing the Roadtrek products drop off, one by one, as the new Hymer stuff is announced. Production capacity has to be re-assigned or new capacity created to bring all this Hymer stuff to market.
That's the more interesting thing to watch: the battle between the Zions and the Grand Canyons! On the same turf!
Old 02-23-2016, 04:58 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Well, they either have to compete on price, or provide exceptional value either thru innovative design or technology (how that for your corporate speak!).

I can't see them going down-market to compete on price - even though the currency difference could be used to their advantage on that one. If they were really smart, they'd be offering their small C RV's. That is a unique size in this market, so essentially it would be innovation without competition. Note they said they were going to introduce thier light caravans. This I think is the real game changer - going after younger demographics with light trailers (presumably cheap) that can be towed with normal, smaller cars. If they can do that with a quality, yet reasonably priced caravan, they could really have some profits there.

From an article back in 2013 they announced their intentions:

“Absolutely,” Nizet told RVBUSINESS.com. “We are not willing, let me say, to ship from Europe to America. Our intention is to make a sustainable business out of it. We simply want to be a local (U.S.) OEM with the quality level of Europe, of Germany. And we will stay in a niche, definitely. As I’ve mentioned previously, we want to be the iPhone with wheels – very innovative. And that’s our goal on a high level – not the cheapest, definitely. That’s our main goal.”
Old 02-23-2016, 05:31 PM   #17
Platinum Member

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the "management stays in place" as that is boiler plate talk for every acquisition, which is what this is, not a merger. My bet would be Hammil was not the major driving force, but the old investment group was, as they had reached their sell window, Roadtrek has lost #1, and Hymer was ripe for the picking.

The new shirts, building sign, etc are sure signs that the Roadtrek brand is likely on the wane, and there is little effort to make it look like Roadtrek is still going to be Roadtrek. If companies are going to try to continue a brand seamlessly, they hugely stress no changes in names, etc.

I would expect a fairly rapid program of change in badging, maybe some Euro options, probably management within 6-12 months. I would be very surprised if quality and customer service don't get considerably better. There do seem to be hints at that already, based on what some posters here have said about finally getting fast callbacks and actual attention. The German companies that I have dealt with tended to be very structured compared to the US and Canada, somewhat stubborn, even a bit gruff, but I always liked dealing with them because you knew where you stood, all the time.

IMO, nothing but good for everyone involved, except maybe current management, and the Roadtrek name. If I were a dealer, I think I would throw a party, like Hymer did at the factory.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:51 PM   #18
Platinum Member

One year from now I expect things will look very different than they do today. When I worked for Ford it was always interesting to compare Ford Germany and other German companies to their counterparts elsewhere. Only VW stands out at the moment in terms of not having very strict control of the business.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:47 PM   #19
Gold Member

Unlike the Forum that drinks the RT Kool-Aid, we all saw this coming. So, how soon before current RT Management gets replaced? The Clock is ticking.....
angelmroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:53 PM   #20
Gold Member

Hmmm... I feel better about our video now!
thefitrv is offline   Reply With Quote