Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2020, 07:30 PM   #161

Help us please? How do you empty your fresh water tank? We are trying white plastic knob on passenger side but no luck. Thanks Cindy
Cindy phelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:39 PM   #162
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe
Default Joe

Our freash water tank is located under the bed in rear of camper. Lift bed up and plywood its rests on. Our tank is right there. A valve attached to a small hose is on the left side near bottom of tank. The hose exits the vehicle right there also. 1995 Xplorer on Dodge 3500 body. Hope this helps.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:11 AM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Our freash water tank is located under the bed in rear of camper. Lift bed up and plywood its rests on. Our tank is right there. A valve attached to a small hose is on the left side near bottom of tank. The hose exits the vehicle right there also. 1995 Xplorer on Dodge 3500 body. Hope this helps.
We tried turning that valve all different ways and nothing happened. Now the water pump won’t gain enough pressure boo!
Old 05-22-2020, 12:24 PM   #164
Joe
Platinum Member

Default Joe

Ours was clogged now that I remember. A bee of sorts built a nest in line. It was like mud in hose. Try cleaning hose out. Also, hook up to city water and try pump again. When you hook up to city water unit bypasses your freash tank. See if it works off that.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:24 PM   #165
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ours was clogged now that I remember. A bee of sorts built a nest in line. It was like mud in hose. Try cleaning hose out. Also, hook up to city water and try pump again. When you hook up to city water unit bypasses your freash tank. See if it works off that.
Down here we call them "mud daubers" and they are a type of friendly wasp. Except they gum up everything. I removed a potato-sized nest of mud from my water heater combustion chamber. And my old roof a/c had some smaller nests inside that were otherwise harmless.

I added screens to the outside of the furnace vent and hot water heater to prevent their return.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:15 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy phelps View Post
Help us please? How do you empty your fresh water tank? We are trying white plastic knob on passenger side but no luck. Thanks Cindy
Thank you but can you tell us how the bathroom toilet?
Old 06-04-2020, 07:57 PM   #167

Hey Xploer Fans,
I have a 2002 230xlw, I would like to add solar. There is a small panel that came with the unit. I live on the east coast, any recommendations for a solar installer.
Thanks
Pams
Pams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:18 PM   #168

Quote:
You were right thank you!
Old 06-04-2020, 11:33 PM   #169

Quote:
You were right thank you!
Old 07-02-2020, 10:44 PM   #170
Bronze Member

Default New Xplorer owner / New to forum

Hello group enthusiasts!

my wife and i just purchased a 1987 Xplorer XtraVan. Its a wreck to be honest. Its going to need to be completely gone through and fitted out.

We need help! The rear bed area is hollow. I plan to put in a larger water storage as well as other tweaks.

What i really need help with is a Wet/bath setup. This van came with a potty in a cabinet. there are 4 captains chairs. i'd like to change the setup to the dinette with larger bathroom if possible.

Does anyone know where i might find a wet bath kit or setup that i can retrofit? or is there a wrecking yard that may specialize in Xplorer components?

If anyone has a pic of where and how the grey water shower tank is mounted to the underside of chassis i would appreciate that. The black/grey water tanks are separate, correct?

Looking for all the general Xplorer online references i can find at this point.

I do plan to start a build log in the near future. first we need to see if the van will even make the drive home. its really beat and abused.

Thanks everyone.
Lifted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:10 AM   #171

Default 92 xplorer water pump issues??

Hey guys. Just trying to finish up my remodel here and I am having an issue with the water pump/water diaphragm for the interior. I just got a new one. I have a question with the grounding. It will not turn on when the doors to the van are closed. But when I open one door, any door it will come on. I feel like its odd that it be connected to the doors at all. There is a grounding wire that is connected to the the metal button that gets pushed in when the door shuts.

The wires that got to the pump read 12 volts with the door open, then only 11 volts when I shut the door.

I took that wire and reground it to the ground on one of the tail lights so it would not reconnected to one of the doors. I doubled checked they were all ground wires. The pump turned on then shut off and is now burnt out.

Seeing if anyone has had a similar issue or any idea why the ground would be connected to the door? I feel like if you wanted to shower the doors should be able to be closed. Any thoughts?
doristhexploris92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:29 PM   #172
Bronze Member

Still making progress on our build. completely gutted the inside. removed and resealed/replaced windows. (except for front top/still leaks) carpet back in and have been using the old removed particle laminate wood as patterns for plywood. As i rebuild i'm contemplating a few steps ahead. Some things were torn out by the previous owner like the 110 shore power transformer?/charger. Does anyone have a picture they could share of where that was located and how it was originally hooked up? looks like it would have plugged into an outlet and then?? positive wire to 12v fuse box?? idk. is it even worth putting that back in or should i replace that with something more modern like a solar battery power station??
Old 10-12-2020, 05:08 AM   #173
Joe
Platinum Member

We have a 1995 Xplorer 230. I want to remove the worn out blue carpet. Thinking about removing all the way up to the dog house. Just leave the carpet in the van driving area. Would like to use house water resistant type flooring. Is there subflooring under carpet and any thoughts about idea?
Old 10-12-2020, 06:16 PM   #174
Bronze Member

Default removing carpet thoughts....not that simple

if your van is like mine or most RV's i've owned....the carpet was laid over the carpet padding and wood sub floor and before any of the RV cabinets were installed. to completely remove the carpet means removing the interior. its a big job.

see if your carpet is salvageable. it will save you $$$$. try going to the hardware store and renting a rug doctor first. get the model with the rotating head and purchase oxy type cleaner. give it a real good vacuum first. If you can save what you have it may be the best option. you can also fill your tub with oxy cleaner and soak your curtains/rugs in there all day.

if your going to go all the way like i have,(do to major water damage) i would do the driver cab also. you will be a carpet pro by the time you cut the last piece. the driver cab ended up being not that hard. i actually did that piece first. came out good. i just reinstalled the seat swivel base' over the carpet.

I did change some things on mine, such as the center recessed tunnel(not sure if your model has that?) i put the epdm padding(harbor freight garage floor pad/exercise pad) under the wood and did not screw it back down. i did not carpet over it. i left it exposed wood and put a leather pull handle(ikea) on it at the front. it is now a sacrificial part that can be easily removed.if there are any major leaks or spills the center piece can be easily removed and cleaned, etc. i also now have a place i can easily clean for kitchen spills or place a floor mat from coming out of wet/bath.

i also did a similar thing with the step for entering the van house. i built a sacrificial piece of wood/epdm and plan to wrap it in sical like a door mat. i will be able to easily recover it as needed. the rest is carpeted which really isnt a lot when you think about it as its more decorative around the edges. the cabinets cover the majority of it. i did not carpet behind the rear wheel wells as thats where my bed platform is behind the rear partitions and i have a "garage" below it. so its just exposed wood. every piece of wood is poly'd to prevent water damage.

I used .5" wood with Min-wax FASTDRY poly-urethane. i have used 5 cans so far. i tried different varieties. This one is by far the best i've tried. it penetrates the wood nicely and spreads good. i tried an expensive 3x coverage one and it sucked. just sat on the surface. i'll prolly use another 2 cans by the time i'm finished. I've replaced every piece of wood in this camper though. i used .25 for wall panels. i removed all the fiberglass insulation and replaced with .5" R-tec foil backed foam insulation.

If your really sure about tearing out the interior, be prepared to by a lot more sheets of plywood than you think. rt now at lowe's in California im paying $54 per sheet for .5"

I used a few sheets for the floor underlayment. Poly-urethaned all sides to water seal it. if you really want it bulletproof, you can fiberglass it. i did this in my previous toyota.

Carpet replacement:

MAKE SURE TO STICK WITH SHAG TYPE CARPET! this is how you hide imperfections/overlaps,etc. its prolly worth paying a little more and getting a quality thick shag. the cheap stuff on the rotating display on hand is of very poor quality and very thin shag. its not thick when bent over edges. you will be getting so little carpet that its worth paying for good quality. you will only need about 7' cuz the roll should be about 15' long.

go to home depot and buy the contractor size roll of brown butcher paper. use this to make patterns. get a roll of masking tape to tape together your patterns. place your carpet upside down and use a sharpie to trace around the pattern and leave some wiggle room. make sure to purchase carpet knife. razor knife no worky. makes all the difference. you will also need some JB weld to patch all the holes from the self tapping screws you will remove.They hold in the wood sub-floor. some will be rusted and will strip. you will need an angle grinder. cutt-off wheel works well. buy replacement self tapping screws. (1")

I used epdm mat from harbor frieght as my carpet underlayment. do not get the cheap carpet pad from box stores. its not spongy enough. the good stuff is sold in a large roll and is expensive and WAY more than you will use.

3M 90 spray to hold the foam down.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:53 PM   #175

Quote:
We have a 1995 Xplorer 230. I want to remove the worn out blue carpet. Thinking about removing all the way up to the dog house. Just leave the carpet in the van driving area. Would like to use house water resistant type flooring. Is there subflooring under carpet and any thoughts about idea?
We have a 2001 Xplorer 230XLW and yes, there is 1/4 plywood sheeting over the steel floor of the van. Ours was originaly blue carpeting throughout but the previous owner replaced the hallway from the doorway to the rear will peal and stick lenoleum tiles. They did a less than stellar job leaving gaps and misaligned tiles. The blue carpet remains under the couch and front area surrounding the doghouse and not in great shape. The carpet was put down before the cabinets were installed. I plan to replace all the flooring with something durable, but not carpet.
an av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 05:10 AM   #176
Joe
Platinum Member

Default Joe

Thanks for all the suggestions. I found out a buddy of mine did his in a wood like tile planks. He cut the carpet out and removed the padding. The carpet was left under the cabinets. As one person stated this is a big job to remove all. He added quarter round molding and caulk around bathroom area. I never figured out how to add pictures or I would post.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:14 AM   #177
Silver Member

Quote:
I have a 98, I pulled the carpet and installed new... I wanted to install vinyl plank but ran out of time so I put in carpet. It will likely be changed again as carpet is just too hard to keep up with all the time.

I do not suggest trying to steam clean it as I did, I did get it clean but it didn't smell much better. In fact when I pulled the carpet I painted the plywood to eliminate the smell that showed up after I cleaned the carpet. The paint worked great by the way and I would suggest it to anyone doing the same.

The underlayment/plywood runs under everything but mine stops between the front seats. If you want to replace the cab carpet I would suggest buying a molded carpet kit from ACC or Auto Custom Carpets. I have used them for other trucks and vans and they make the job look like it's factory fresh.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:49 AM   #178

Hey Dave. I too have the 88 228. Can you tell me where to locate the house battery?
Thanks
M@par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:03 PM   #179

Default First time RVer in a 1999 Xplorer 230 XLB

About a year and a half ago my wife and I decided to get in a RV. We had been tenting down in Florida, snowboarding from Maryland in the cold winters. While we were lucky that it didn’t rain much when we set up the tent and took it down, we figured it was only a matter of time so we made the jump.

We found a 1999 Xplorer 230 XLB on Craigslist not too far and we went to look at it. It was in great shape, no leaks and with only 48,000 miles on it. The seller gave us a really good price as he was tired of dealing with Craigslist customers and we bought it. We needed to have some front end suspension work and brakes but everything else was great!

Last year we drove it down to the Keys and the west coast of Florida and had a great time for 3 months. We love that it is maneuverable in towns and cities and it rides nicely. It is a small space but it is fine for the two of us and our cat.

It came with an awning which quickly fell apart. We have been struggling with whether to replace it or forget it. It would add room when it rains but other than that ???. We had a clam portable screen house which sets up easy and is easy to carry around but…?

Anyway, very happy to find this group as it has already answered a question I had. Hope to contribute more! Nice to read the history.
Tod-a-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 12:48 AM   #180
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod-a-Oh View Post
About a year and a half ago my wife and I decided to get in a RV. We had been tenting down in Florida, snowboarding from Maryland in the cold winters. While we were lucky that it didn’t rain much when we set up the tent and took it down, we figured it was only a matter of time so we made the jump.

We found a 1999 Xplorer 230 XLB on Craigslist not too far and we went to look at it. It was in great shape, no leaks and with only 48,000 miles on it. The seller gave us a really good price as he was tired of dealing with Craigslist customers and we bought it. We needed to have some front end suspension work and brakes but everything else was great!

Last year we drove it down to the Keys and the west coast of Florida and had a great time for 3 months. We love that it is maneuverable in towns and cities and it rides nicely. It is a small space but it is fine for the two of us and our cat.

It came with an awning which quickly fell apart. We have been struggling with whether to replace it or forget it. It would add room when it rains but other than that ???. We had a clam portable screen house which sets up easy and is easy to carry around but…?

Anyway, very happy to find this group as it has already answered a question I had. Hope to contribute more! Nice to read the history.
Welcome. You're one of many new Xplorer owners who have joined recently.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote