Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2021, 09:07 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default xplorer mur ht winterizing

HI We got our van this past June 1997 xplorer mur ht( what IS that MUR HT for??) I love it No long extended trips yet for me Ihave done 2 and 3 day trips and found it quite comfortable.- spouse has taken it longer for biking We expect to use it this winter to go to N Wisconsin for the birkebeiner ski race but til then I have winterized it Just want to see if I missed much, as most googling gets me all this stuff about hot water heaters and bypass.
Ha we have only cold water
So I drained all the water and put RV antifreeze into toilet and sink drains Tried to pour some into city water but was not successful Made a skirt from that aluminum quilted and plastic stuff .Have a cover for it then will put two slightly overlapping canvas tarps on it Plan to start it and move it back and forth a little weekly I made a brick patio and put black plastic on t hat then parked it I will have to shovel snow off it but then we shovel the roof here in MAine also Did I miss anything?
Probably will winter camp a few nights on the way then stay in hotel day of race to have warm shower I saw the quilted magnet window cover idea and like it but of course would have to go outside to put them on but nice idea Thanks
jeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 05:15 PM   #2
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeana View Post
HI We got our van this past June 1997 xplorer mur ht( what IS that MUR HT for??) I love it No long extended trips yet for me Ihave done 2 and 3 day trips and found it quite comfortable.- spouse has taken it longer for biking We expect to use it this winter to go to N Wisconsin for the birkebeiner ski race but til then I have winterized it Just want to see if I missed much, as most googling gets me all this stuff about hot water heaters and bypass.
Ha we have only cold water
So I drained all the water and put RV antifreeze into toilet and sink drains Tried to pour some into city water but was not successful Made a skirt from that aluminum quilted and plastic stuff .Have a cover for it then will put two slightly overlapping canvas tarps on it Plan to start it and move it back and forth a little weekly I made a brick patio and put black plastic on t hat then parked it I will have to shovel snow off it but then we shovel the roof here in MAine also Did I miss anything?
Probably will winter camp a few nights on the way then stay in hotel day of race to have warm shower I saw the quilted magnet window cover idea and like it but of course would have to go outside to put them on but nice idea Thanks
You had me stumped. I have owned three Xplorer vans (1976, 1986, 2000) and that model is new to me. I had to research it to find out what it meant. I always went for the completely self-contained motorhome so never seriously looked at the smaller version. However, in my reading it seemed that there was a water heater in that version. If you have one, that needs antifreeze too. Most of the vans I purchased had a system installed that heated water as you drove except the last one, a 2000 wide body. It is still on the road, and has made two cross country trips and one cross Canada. It will be headed for Nova Scotia this summer if the border stays open. Enjoy your Xplorer.
drsdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:33 PM   #3
Bronze Member

If I had a hot water heater I think I know Fro one thing I would have hot water faucet
Old 12-05-2021, 10:13 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Default sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeana View Post
If I had a hot water heater I think I know Fro one thing I would have hot water faucet
Sorry, the posts I read did not mention that there was no hot water. Possibly because they were trying to sell the van. Xplorer prided itself of instant hot water. I was unaware that they produced vans without hot water.
drsdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:31 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Hmm
s'OK
we carry a thermos from hot water we heated up the night before... or get at a truck stop
The owner's manual is pretty simplistic I must say
HAve fun!