Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2016, 05:15 PM   #1

Default Zion Park Tunnel Permit

Do I need a tunnel permit for the Zion Park tunnel in Utah? I have a 2013 PleasureWay Plateau TS. The width is 7' 10" and that is the stated maximum on the park webpage. Am I okay? Can I fold my mirrors?
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:19 PM   #2
Silver Member

I was thru the tunnel a total of four times a couple of weeks ago and each time they had one way lane control. If your vehicle is within the allowed measurements to drive for free there is no reason to pay!
sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:06 AM   #3
Bronze Member

We were through there last June with a Toyota 4Runner pulling a 22 foot travel trailer. I recall we had to pay, but it seems like it was on the one-way lane control at all times. I suppose if you meet the specs you won't have to pay, but you will have to wait for travel to be switched in your direction. Frankly, even if you are close to the limit, I would be happy to go through without oncoming traffic. They tell you to play airplane pilot and just keep in on the center line. The tunnel is narrow with a rounded entrance adn ceiling. It wouldn't be fun with a tall or wide vehicle except in the middle of the tunnel.
mechmike10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:18 AM   #4

I was there in mid April and while waiting to go through the tunnel there were multiple Class C's (el monte rv rentals) going through. I would imagine you would be okay with your rig.
ambiguous02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:48 PM   #5
Platinum Member

If you have a choice, enter from the west side. It's no fun waiting in a long line with your AC running. And its not much fun staying in line all the way through the park. We skip Zion all together. Much prefer Cedar Breaks, Capital Reef, Canyon Lands Nat'l Parks. Even Bryce is better, but still crowded. There's lots more to see & do in SE UT than the over used Natl Parks. Just my not so humble opinion!
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote