Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2015, 01:37 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Darn. Was hoping for the 4WD prototype. If it's at Hershey, I'll be taking photos and posting them again.

My Facebook group is planning a meetup at the show on Friday. Anyone on the forum who plans to attend the show is certainly welcome to join us.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
You can buy DEF at any auto parts store, Walmart, truck stops, etc. You have a fairly long grace period after a warning comes up that you are low on DEF. There is no need to have to carry it unless you are driving 400+ miles up to Prudhoe Bay or something odd like that. But then the more I think about that I suspect there is nothing but diesel vehicles driving that route. So probably not a problem there.
I'd add that you really should just buy DEF when you need it and not store any significant quantity. It does go bad and degrade over time. Fresher is always better. Usually I can catch it on sale for $10 for 2.5 gallon jug. Think the trucks stops mostly have it on the pump now - seen it for as low as $1.69 a gallon.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:09 PM   #23
Site Team

+1 buying DEF at the pump. I know it is a little scary driving up amongst the big boys and figuring out the mysteries of the DEF dispenser. But after the first time, it is really very quick and easy. Much cheaper, always fresh, no-mess delivery, available everywhere, and a complete fill every time. Can't be beat.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:15 PM   #24
Silver Member

Why would Roadtrek even bother? All they're going to do is squeeze the 21' Zion floor plan into a smaller space and call it "revolutionary". What a joke.
Nomad32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:05 PM   #25
Bronze Member

I am pretty excited to see it. Something easier to use as a 2nd vehicle and one the wife can drive around town and fit better in my short driveway.
islandrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:54 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Will be interesting to see the "revolutionary" floor plan. If it is the Standard length 159WB, they only lose 15".

What I find a bit confusing is Jim's podcast comment that it is meant for singles, then reading it still sleeps 3, same spec as the Zion.

It is reported to be a "shorter chassis".

Would they be putting it on the 136WB, which is a bit over 3ft shorter overall than the current Zion? That would be an interesting floor plan. Turning radius is also 6 ft less. But if it really is for just a single traveler, maybe it could be that small?
Old 09-03-2015, 06:57 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Back to DEF. There's a slew of Sprinters,'12, 13, 14 & 15's that have had DEF system heaters and NOX sensors go askew on the View/Navion forum, (a slew in my terms is more than 10).
Over there lots of folks are also finding WalMarts now sell their own brand of DEF for around $9.00 per 2.5 gallons regular price.

I bought bulk DEF one time at a Pilot truck stop. That was the last time. Price was good, but it was a pain to do and the pump nozzles were all covered with dirt and the white crystal substance that DEF causes on contact with steel.....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:23 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
I bought bulk DEF one time at a Pilot truck stop. That was the last time. Price was good, but it was a pain to do and the pump nozzles were all covered with dirt and the white crystal substance that DEF causes on contact with steel.....
The exact opposite of my experience. I would give it another try at another venue. The only hassle is that you often have to go inside the booth with your credit card.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:32 PM   #29
Platinum Member

I've got over 80,000 miles on two DEF Sprinters with no DEF problems. It seems Winnebago customers have a lot of Sprinter chassis related problems more so than others. Could that be because they get their Sprinters fully assembled from Germany instead of through South Carolina? I sometimes wonder if they are buying culled Sprinters at bargain prices that way, i.e. dumping of the potential lemons.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:00 PM   #30

I predicted this based on a Roadtrek Facebook conversation concerning the 170. I think this is a great idea, especially if Roadtrek wants to phase out the 170. Possibly a 170 popular layout with a private bath replacing the third seat behind the passenger. Using a front cab bed gets three sleeping positions.

The 19 foot 7 inch Promaster is on the same wheelbase as the 20 foot 10 inch model. If Roadtrek is actually using the "shorter wheelbase" Promaster, that model is only 17 feet 9 inches.
Gemlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:07 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

David I suspect is sone of that is just ignorance on the part of some of the buyers. Over 5k members over there, and none afraid to express their opinion, bad or good it seems. One person admitted to putting windshield washer fluid in her DEF tank, then driving. She had a pretty large bill after its many CEL's.
We've got about 33k on ours or with no DEF issues so far
I just fill with fresh when we get home, except in the fall when I leave it till spring, then fill.

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:38 PM   #32

After listening to the audio clip, I'm confident that Roadtrek is using the 136 wheelbase. This should be interesting.

By the way, Hammill says at minute 17 that Roadtrek builds the Zion in a day and a half.
Gemlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:50 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemlake View Post
If Roadtrek is actually using the "shorter wheelbase" Promaster, that model is only 17 feet 9 inches.
Yes, but it would be an interesting floor plan on a base vehicle that really could be the "around town" van, less than 18' long, with a 40.7' TR, and a starting price $5k less than the base for the regular Zion.

Jim mentioned in the podcast, IIRC, something along the lines of "30% of our customers are single women". Promaster is about 6'2" wide inside; many women are shorter than that. Turn a fold up bed sideways (like some Euro RVs do, Hymer for one), make the bed 4-4.5 ft wide. That may work with the current Zion floor plan (bath, galley same size and position) in the short model.

4-4.5 ft. does sound narrow, but my wife and I do fine in the 3'6" EVC bed. 4'+ would feel luxurious.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:48 PM   #34
Bronze Member

I would be very happy is the new SRT is about the length (19'5') and similar to the MB Agile. But swap the kitchen/bath so they are like the Zion, kitchen on the awning side. The bed in the Agile are king, 69Wx76L, or twins, 25Wx76L.
islandrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:51 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I've got over 80,000 miles on two DEF Sprinters with no DEF problems. It seems Winnebago customers have a lot of Sprinter chassis related problems more so than others. Could that be because they get their Sprinters fully assembled from Germany instead of through South Carolina? I sometimes wonder if they are buying culled Sprinters at bargain prices that way, i.e. dumping of the potential lemons.
Although what you're suggesting is anecdotal, I'd offer that the seeming higher incidence of complaints is the sheer volume of their RV production.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:59 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandrog View Post
I would be very happy is the new SRT is about the length (19'5') and similar to the MB Agile. But swap the kitchen/bath so they are like the Zion, kitchen on the awning side. The bed in the Agile are king, 69Wx76L, or twins, 25Wx76L.
Seems our posts crossed in the ether. While I find the idea of the 136WB/213" long interesting, you are probably right that they will stay with the 159WB/236" long base vehicle - more like the Agile. Almost same length as Agile but smaller turning radius, too.

Others look to this as a 170 replacement, which - FYI - only has a 50" x 73" bed, oriented sideways. I will not be surprised if they go with a sideways (possibly fold-up) bed orientation.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:19 AM   #37
Platinum Member

My guess is that it will be the 19' model... rather a combo of the Zion/170. I'm betting on driver side being same as Zion with full bath, fridge. and hopefully decent sized wardrobe. Same sofa/bed as the 170. Galley flipped to passenger side with the option of more galley storage in place of a third seat.

I would really love to see the old side sofa style model... (did I already say that... too lazy to read back)... one that is easy to pull off the sofa back and have a nice bunk sized bed. (in fact, a bunk bed system would be great)
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:28 AM   #38
Platinum Member

Since it is designed primarily for a single traveler, I wonder if they will consider doing the aisle shower, perhaps as optional. It makes for a pretty easy way to get a long bunk on whichever side the bath is on as the bath is only about 1/2 as wide. If I were a single traveler, one long bunk/couch on one side, with either storage or open area for a bike, Kayak, etc on the other side, would be really nice.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:28 AM   #39
Platinum Member

If the plan is to replace the 170 then the 136" Promaster is the best "fit" as it still has more cargo volume than the 170 even though it is shorter in length.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:23 AM   #40
Platinum Member

The shortest platform would have 2 inches less interior conversion space inside than the 170... whereas the EB would give them 18 more inches of usable floor space - which would certainly be very beneficial from the standpoint of use.

I would love the side bed and across I would like the option of cabinetry...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote