Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2015, 04:25 PM   #101
Platinum Member

In the UK, I saw many small families (younger / middle age) in Class B RVs. Many were older and some newer. Very basic units but you saw them at RV parks in the countryside. Rarely saw them in the city of London.

Many people with reserve a 'pitch' at a resort/campside destination for the season and will access it throughout the season at different intervals. Seems the RV lifestyle is similar yet clearly different.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:30 PM   #102
Platinum Member

Driving in the countryside of UK a few years ago, I did come across some RVs, but like you said mostly Class B's. RV Size may have something to do with the width of those country, village and small town roads, some the country ones being "single tracks". Compact cars are popular there for a reason.

Wondering how available are big RVs, I took a quick look at the Hymer website and the largest RV I could find was a "Hymer B-Klasse SL" - 29' long and only 9'3" wide and 12'3" high. I think they use different RV designations than we do.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:03 PM   #103
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
While the overall demographic numbers may be useful in forecasting the overall RV market in the U.S., i.e. how many people take vacations, where do they go, how do they get there, where do they stay, etc. I think, that maybe (would love to hear manufacturers input on this) most RV companies focus, maybe simplistically, on more specific questions "where is the money?" and "how much do they have to spend?"
Oh I agree manufacturers are focusing on and are right to be focusing on the existing buyers. I don't think many young families are lining up to spend 80-130k on a motorhome, especially not a motorhome that's going to be really cramped for 4-5 people. And yet, I do think family size still plays a role in the designs. People have mentioned taking kids and grandkids along on short trips and that usually means more seatbelts than the 4 you typically get. There are several layouts that seat 7, but not on the lower end of the price spectrum (unless I've missed one?).

Like I said earlier, I'm probably a market size of one. Fortunately we can wait another 2-3 years before we're really going to need a motorhome. I still have to solve the garage situation. I live in the forest in the PNW and these damn rodents would tear the hell out of a new B in no time, so garage first then (hopefully) a B...
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:20 PM   #104
Platinum Member

Wondering how available are big RVs....

Europe has the widest selection of RVs in the world. Big is always relative and expectations differ in global markets. The RV below is what I consider one of the best large RVs available. It may not meet the definition of best in America but the company and their products are considered premium in Europe.

Niesmann+Bischoff Flair 920 LF

Video Reviews
https://youtu.be/5_xFBZjRjzs

https://youtu.be/xxt_1T7Wo68
Old 09-18-2015, 03:59 PM   #105
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
Wondering how available are big RVs....

Europe has the widest selection of RVs in the world. Big is always relative and expectations differ in global markets. The RV below is what I consider one of the best large RVs available. It may not meet the definition of best in America but the company and their products are considered premium in Europe.
Thanks for posting this. Love the clean modern look; even the exterior is pretty simple and does not have the "swoopy" graphics that are so common to Large RVs over here.

For fun, watch the Italian video with subtitles translated into English - some interesting word choices.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:28 PM   #106
Bronze Member

Seems this thread has gone round the world.....looking forward to seeing pics/specs on the Zion SRT. If it is in fact shorter than the Zion what changes did they make?
islandrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:44 PM   #107
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandrog View Post
Seems this thread has gone round the world.....looking forward to seeing pics/specs on the Zion SRT. If it is in fact shorter than the Zion what changes did they make?
If all they did was shave a few inches here and there then I'm very interested at where they price it. Surely there was an RV show price somewhere on this SRT. If it's cheaper than the Zion then the SRT is the one to choose.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:14 PM   #108
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostalli View Post
If all they did was shave a few inches here and there then I'm very interested at where they price it. Surely there was an RV show price somewhere on this SRT. If it's cheaper than the Zion then the SRT is the one to choose.
Sorry, forgot to check the SRT price on Wednesday; was not buying, but just checking floor plans and "feel".

Hopefully, Wincrasher and others (if they read this post soon enough) will check on the price while there today.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:26 PM   #109
Silver Member

I just saw Mike Welland's live feed from the show and he toured inside the Zion SRT. The show price is listed at $92,449. LOL!

https://blab.im/e1a2e4e2b8374f4fb448bad4eb2ff184
Nomad32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:42 PM   #110
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad32 View Post
I just saw Mike Welland's live feed from the show and he toured inside the Zion SRT. The show price is listed at $92,449. LOL!

Oh I don't know...some would call that cheap for such a revolutionary product!
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:52 PM   #111
Bronze Member

Is that price assuming it is loaded with everything? Really interested in the total length, does it have the same engine as the Zion? How long does it usually take for Roadtrek to update their webpage with a new model?
------
islandrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:57 PM   #112
Platinum Member

Mike Welland's live feed from the show and he toured inside the Zion SRT.

Does Mike work or have a business tie to Roadtrek? He describes himself as a journalist but he seems to always pitch Roadtreks (i.e. favorably pitching them).
Old 09-18-2015, 08:09 PM   #113
Silver Member

Quote:

Does Mike work or have a business tie to Roadtrek? He describes himself as a journalist but he seems to always pitch Roadtreks (i.e. favorably pitching them).
He's a retired journalist and a pitchman for all things Roadtrek.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:11 PM   #114
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transit View Post
Oh I don't know...some would call that cheap for such a revolutionary product!
Yeah, the new Ecotrek cloaking device made the extra 15" of Zion length invisible! #Mindblown
Old 09-18-2015, 08:28 PM   #115
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad32 View Post

For comparision, what's the show price for a "regular" Zion? It's the difference that's important. FYI - MSRP base price for 3500 159WB Promaster (Zion) is $36,115. 136WB 2500 Promaster (if that is base for SRT) is $31,600, $4,515 less. Would expect Zion show price to around $97k, if the options are the same.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:36 AM   #116
Platinum Member

I looked at this van today. I'll be posting on my Hershey experience over the weekend, with pictures.

I was not really impressed with the build quality on this van. But someone bought it. Virtually all the B's had "sold' signs on them today.

I did have a long conversation with Jim Hammill. I got a better understanding of where he's coming from. He also clued me in on some upcoming stuff and some of the interesting build methods he's using on the Zion.

Here's a tidbit: they are working on a floorplan similar to the Travato 59K! That should tell you something.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:07 AM   #117
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I looked at this van today. I'll be posting on my Hershey experience over the weekend, with pictures.

I was not really impressed with the build quality on this van. But someone bought it. Virtually all the B's had "sold' signs on them today.

I did have a long conversation with Jim Hammill. I got a better understanding of where he's coming from. He also clued me in on some upcoming stuff and some of the interesting build methods he's using on the Zion.

Here's a tidbit: they are working on a floorplan similar to the Travato 59K! That should tell you something.
Ha! Jim said that Roadtrek doesn't copy competitors. I guess they saw the Winnebago sales increase and now are playing a little catchup.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:19 PM   #118
Platinum Member

Quote:

Roadtrekking.com is primarily sponsored by Roadtrek. I was kinda surprised Mike would sell his soul for such a small $ amount.

I told Jim he could participate here or on my Facebook Group and we wouldn't charge him a thing.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:16 PM   #119

I questioned RT at Hershey about why the SRT costs more than the regular Zion. New SRT was loaded with optional Ecotrek stuff, etc. Fully loaded.
Jujupang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:00 PM   #120
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujupang View Post
I questioned RT at Hershey about why the SRT costs more than the regular Zion. New SRT was loaded with optional Ecotrek stuff, etc. Fully loaded.
Guess we will get a better idea of how it prices out -MSRP - when they list it on their website and you can "build" both with the same options.