Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2015, 06:05 PM   #121
Platinum Member

wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #122
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Wincrasher,

Can you confirm what the base vehicle is - 136WB (213") or 159WB (236"long) 2500 or 3500?
Old 09-19-2015, 06:17 PM   #123
Platinum Member

It is the 159. I forgot to check if it was a 3500 - they remove the badges, like Winnebago is doing. I asked Jim about why not the shorter wheelbase. He said that they fooled around with one, but there were too many issues getting everything to fit. I suspect that may be true, but the caveat is that they wanted to re-use many of the parts from the Zion to keep the costs down. One of the things they do is notch the floor to fit the bulkheads and cabinets. Changing the layout would effect that design. Also, their tanks are custom and fit in specific places, so they didn't want to move those around.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:26 PM   #124
Platinum Member

Quote:
It is the 159. I forgot to check if it was a 3500 - they remove the badges, like Winnebago is doing. I asked Jim about why not the shorter wheelbase. He said that they fooled around with one, but there were too many issues getting everything to fit. I suspect that may be true, but the caveat is that they wanted to re-use many of the parts from the Zion to keep the costs down. One of the things they do is notch the floor to fit the bulkheads and cabinets. Changing the layout would effect that design. Also, their tanks are custom and fit in specific places, so they didn't want to move those around.
Thanks. Sounds like trying to fit "10 pounds of sand in a 5 pound bag". Understand the financial constraints but kind of wished they would taken a shot at rethinking what a 136 WB could be rather than trying to re-use parts. Looked at the Adria site and was impressed with their version of 136 WB Ducato RV. But then, again, its layout is very similar to the their 159WB model, probably so they could re-use parts, too.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:43 PM   #125
Platinum Member

Someone can look underneath for a sway bar to tell if it's the 3500.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:52 PM   #126
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Right Jostalli...good idea

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:06 PM   #127
Platinum Member

I thought you were going to post us some pictures Wincrasher. I'm waiting...

For me the floorplan of the 59K has no appeal. Tiny fridge... hate those pull down sinks in the bathroom. Rather than those twin beds taking up ALL the geography, I'd rather see a bunk bed set up. That would allow it to sleep two people and still have space for some cabinets and/or wardrobe, and a decent sized fridge.

Then as a single person, I would also have the upper bunk for storage.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:41 PM   #128
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post

For me the floorplan of the 59K has no appeal. Tiny fridge... hate those pull down sinks in the bathroom. Rather than those twin beds taking up ALL the geography, I'd rather see a bunk bed set up. That would allow it to sleep two people and still have space for some cabinets and/or wardrobe, and a decent sized fridge.

I agree, the 59K layout just seems odd to me. When the beds aren't being used for sleeping, all you have are these wide benches with no back cushions. It would be better if they could convert into proper sofas for lounging with guests.
Nomad32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:24 AM   #129
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad32 View Post
I agree, the 59K layout just seems odd to me. When the beds aren't being used for sleeping, all you have are these wide benches with no back cushions. It would be better if they could convert into proper sofas for lounging with guests.
They can be converted. Several owners have bought or made cushions to use as bolsters. They work fine that way. A small folding table in the center, and you're set to go. It's what we would do.
That fold down sink in the bath is neat. It drains into the black tank. Nice faucet setup in there also

Old 09-20-2015, 01:29 AM   #130
Platinum Member

I'm going to have a custom bolster made so I can use one bed for a sofa. I'll leave the other made up for a bed.

I love the drop down sink and the big mirror and a light that shines in front of your face instead of behind your head. It will be nice to have a shower and not have to negotiate yourself around a sink that protrudes into the space. I think it's brilliant.

Interestingly Jim Hammill told me they once offered a swing away sink and everyone just bitched about it, so they discontinued it. Oddly people told him they didn't want a sink in the bath anyways as they'd use the kitchen sink. So instead of just swinging it out of the way and not using it, because they didn't use it anyways, they just complained about it instead.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:03 PM   #131
Bronze Member

Usually I agree with everything Mumkin says, but this time I have to say I really loved the bed setup in the 59K. Especially, the Frolie system. And the bathroom sink is good for me.
sammie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:05 PM   #132
Platinum Member

No fear... my feelings aren't hurt if you don't agree with me. LOL Since I would only travel alone, two beds are such a waste of geography. (especially when they are only giving the same crappy itty bitty fridge like I have in my 170) I too like the frolie system, but I just feel that bunk beds give me a much more useful unit. The system could also be in bunk beds, dontcha think? But I certainly understand why couples would prefer the twins or those who often travel with friends or family. (or great big dogs... who I hear love the frolie...)

Sink usage is also a very personal choice...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 09-20-2015, 05:42 PM   #133
Platinum Member

Quote:
No fear... my feelings aren't hurt if you don't agree with me. LOL Since I would only travel alone, two beds are such a waste of geography. (especially when they are only giving the same crappy itty bitty fridge like I have in my 170) I too like the frolie system, but I just feel that bunk beds give me a much more useful unit. The system could also be in bunk beds, dontcha think? But I certainly understand why couples would prefer the twins or those who often travel with friends or family. (or great big dogs... who I hear love the frolie...)

Mumkin - your fridge is a 3.0 cu ft unit. The Travato 59k has a 4.3 cu ft. That is NOT the same, it's much larger. Also it's a compressor fridge, which means you can stuff it to the gills and it will still stay cold. The 3-ways needs some airflow in them. So what you have to leave out compromises that capacity volume number.

The Nova Kool fridge is a great brand with a good record. It's wide & deep compared to the 5.0 cu ft in the 59G which is narrow & tall. In practical terms, as far as how much food they hold, I'd say they are the same.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:57 PM   #134
Platinum Member

Quote:

I met a couple from Germany on the Alaska Highway that had a CS Riesemobile DUO with bunk beds. This could be what you describe. I was impressed with it. It was also a 4x4.

CS-Reisemobile campervan DUO
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:42 PM   #135
Bronze Member

Quote:

Great big dog travels with me.
sammie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:37 PM   #136
Platinum Member

What wincrasher said just above...

Old 09-20-2015, 11:40 PM   #137
Platinum Member

Quote:
Mumkin - your fridge is a 3.0 cu ft unit. The Travato 59k has a 4.3 cu ft. That is NOT the same, it's much larger. Also it's a compressor fridge, which means you can stuff it to the gills and it will still stay cold. The 3-ways needs some airflow in them. So what you have to leave out compromises that capacity volume number.
Actually I did order the switch to the Ranger fridge so I have a compressor fridge, and it is actually 3.1 (woowoo) The freezer holds an icecube. I am one of those who freezes up a bunch of meals before I travel, to pop into the microwave... both for the dog and me.

So, I just went over to their website and looked at it... and the freezer looks pretty tiny to me. As I mentioned somewhere, Airstream is using THE fridge that I want. It is two system and the freezer is almost the same size as the fridge!! Talk about perfect... They have it stacked, but I want it as shown here:

Nova Kool, refrigerators, freezers, Marine, RV, Truck

Yes... I should probably go to Sportsmobile... LOL

Davydd

Love the Reismobile bunk beds...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 09-21-2015, 12:07 AM   #138
Platinum Member

Quote:
Actually I did order the switch to the Ranger fridge so I have a compressor fridge, and it is actually 3.1 (woowoo) The freezer holds an icecube. I am one of those who freezes up a bunch of meals before I travel, to pop into the microwave... both for the dog and me.
Somehow I thought all the RTs had compressor fridges - I was wrong! Just looked at the spec for your 170.

Do you have 3 or 4 passenger seats? You could remove one of those rear passenger seats and replace with a small Novacool freezer?
Old 09-21-2015, 12:19 AM   #139
Platinum Member

Just get a chest type compressor freezer. They work pretty well. You just need to find a place to put it in a 170.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:34 AM   #140
Bronze Member

Did anybody get the length of the SRT?
islandrog is offline   Reply With Quote