Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2015, 01:35 PM   #61
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
I don't know if the photo will show, but...

Gerry M...

You have the Zion... when you open that pantry, does everything toss itself on the floor? I have looked at this in person and can't see what holds things in.
my wife fills it with all sorts of stuff-never had anything fall yet
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #62
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
And every converter who is using the longest claims 20'11" - which makes one wonder who is incorrect... the Ram site... or all of the converters. (Winnie says 21')

Sportsmobile uses the terms RB/EB/LB for the obvious reason that one can compare the three platforms lengths using the same terminology. To me it is logical and helpful and not at all confusing.
I'm fairly certain most would trust the product manufacturer for accurate data. Perhaps the "converters" are measuring from the screw on the front license plate to the end of the hitch on the back.

It is confusing when you use Sportsmobile nomenclature outside of a Sportsmobile conversation. Especially when people do not know what the terms mean.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #63
Platinum Member

I doubt that any of the converters ever bother to do a measure. I actually remember seeing the 20'11" on the Dodge websites when they first came out.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:32 AM   #64
Platinum Member

Default Westfalia Columbus 600D/601D

I suspect Roadtrek will copy the layout of the Westfalia Amundsen / Columbus 601D plan on the Ducato platform. Few things these days are 'revolutionary' but simply copied with slight changes to suit regional tastes..

It satisfies all the features in the Roadtrek press release
  • Permanent Bath
  • Shorter Ducato Platform

There is a popup version providing an additional double sleeping surface for two. Nice storage underneath the raised bed.

Westfalia Amundsen/ Columbus | Westfalia Mobil GmbH

Youtube Videos
https://youtu.be/NvY1G1F-zvA
https://youtu.be/bxv0ejbDaMA
https://youtu.be/lLY5pVKMpz8
https://youtu.be/FJncb6sIX7Y
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:26 PM   #65
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
I suspect Roadtrek will copy the layout of the Westfalia Amundsen / Columbus 601D plan on the Ducato platform.
Don't think so (even though I really like that plan). Look at the photos they posted of the SRT on the RT website.

No sideways bed
No forward dinette - the bath is right behind the driver

Basically the photos look like they used the same floor plan as the Zion in a shorter body, with the Zion King Bed option as standard.

I will see next week what they have at Hershey.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:37 PM   #66
Platinum Member

I doubt it to. Although I think it would be a bigger winner than just a short Zion. I really don't get why you'd just do the same layout, but with a smaller bed?

To me, they need an articulating bed arrangement (like the Safari Condo), opening up the back of the van for storage or cargo. Their smaller van should appeal to the sports-active crowd.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:59 PM   #67
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Don't think so (even though I really like that plan). Look at the photos they posted of the SRT on the RT website.

No sideways bed
No forward dinette - the bath is right behind the driver

Basically the photos look like they used the same floor plan as the Zion in a shorter body, with the Zion King Bed option as standard.

I will see next week what they have at Hershey.
A friend who lives in Germany told me the RV companies in Germany borrow concepts from one another constantly and in most cases improve on the original design. These smaller RVs could be a great laboratory to test changing consumer wants that will eventually transform the more traditional Class A RV segment.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #68
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I doubt it to. Although I think it would be a bigger winner than just a short Zion. I really don't get why you'd just do the same layout, but with a smaller bed?

To me, they need an articulating bed arrangement (like the Safari Condo), opening up the back of the van for storage or cargo. Their smaller van should appeal to the sports-active crowd.
In my desire to build 'the perfect Class B for Me', I love plans that allow them to be a short-term home or family hauler or your private mobile sports garage /locker room.

Design flexibility is truly the key.

I like the Ducato / Promaster platform and appreciate the design details. . When considering Sprinter or Promaster for an RV , I gravitate to Sprinter because of the crash worthiness, 4x4 option, diesel engine, and safety technology that can be had from the factory.

Surprisingly customers who have bought the Sprinter with the 2.1 diesel / tsp auto have spoken highly of it over the 3.0 6 cylinder.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #69
Platinum Member

I expect that Roadtrek will stick with simply mods to the regular Zion layout for the SRT to start with, but if there us enough demand for other layouts like a crosswise bed then they might respond.

In terms of chassis choice, I am looking at the Transit for our next Van. In the long term, I expect the Ford Transit will get wide usage from Class B manufacturers but too early as yet to see much activity except from the custom builders, Sportsmobile and Van Specialties have done Transits so far, maybe others.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:20 PM   #70
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post

Roadtrek is straight up lazy when it come to interior design. They get the pants beat off of them by the Europeans.

All RT is going to do with the Zion SRT is make a compact version of the Zion they already sell, but at a cheaper price point. Like I said, lazy.
Nomad32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:40 PM   #71
Platinum Member

I will come on and say that I hope that they don't adopt such a plan as the Westfalia. The last thing needed in such a small floor area is a dinette. A total wasted space to me... and probably most single travelers will agree... and supposedly this model was promoted by JH as being for singles.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:41 PM   #72
Platinum Member

Why would you caree if Roadtrek makes any floorplan? I don't think they will stop making the kind of floorplans they have always made. I will personally never buy a cross wise sleeping platform but understand why others might. I also think the slideout models are silly but don't wish Winnebago to stop making them .
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:06 PM   #73
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909 View Post
I will personally never buy a cross wise sleeping platform but understand why others might.
Stan, are you tall or there other reasons one might NOT want a crosswise bed? (just curious)
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:20 PM   #74
Platinum Member

Just back from Hershey. Others can report out elsewhere on the new tech, energy systems, pricing, etc. but my goal was to take my wife there and get her take on floor plans (she is/was in the design field). We did look at the Zion and the Zion SRT.

We were underwhelmed. Both Zion and Zion SRT had the rear power king bed layout. Except for one tall vertical cabinet forward of the bath, directly behind the drivers seat, they seemed identical. There may be some other "differences" in the drawers, etc. but, frankly, I could not tell them apart. So similar, I did not take any photos. Did not check price difference, but it better be extreme for SRT to be "revolutionary".

The trip was useful for determining the direction we are leaning to in floorpans. In our EVC, we sleep up top and use the space below for the living/dining/galley area. If I want I can sleep late up top while my wife has coffee below. We still want that in a "B" (without the pop-top) We do not want to make up (i.e. convert the living area) the bed each night. Separate dinette with rear sleeping will work. We use CG showers, so wet head will be fine for occasional on-board showers. Trivato G with forward dinette and rear sleeping came closest to our plan, but bath is too large and blocks any cross ventilation in rear.

We are not buying at this time, but maybe Hymer will bring Grand Canyon to N.A. in a few years or some N.A. manufacturer will have similar layout. A number of C's with that floorplan, but no B's. Maybe a couple of B's with the 4 forward seat layout if you ripped out the 2 rear seats and made room.

Best quote of the day? Woman in a 44ft $500k Entegra "I must have 1-1/2 baths!"
Old 09-16-2015, 06:31 PM   #75
Platinum Member

Different strokes for different folks. I will say that Entegra is setting a new standard for quality manufacturing in their segment and keeping their prices competitive, would be nice if more Class B manufacturers worried more about quality, and I realize some are doing a good job already including Advance RV. No reason you should have to buy at the high price end to get good quality however.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:10 PM   #76
Platinum Member

Quote:
Just back from Hershey. Others can report out elsewhere on the new tech, energy systems, pricing, etc. but my goal was to take my wife there and get her take on floor plans (she is/was in the design field). We did look at the Zion and the Zion SRT.

We were underwhelmed. Both Zion and Zion SRT had the rear power king bed layout. Except for one tall vertical cabinet forward of the bath, directly behind the drivers seat, they seemed identical. There may be some other "differences" in the drawers, etc. but, frankly, I could not tell them apart. So similar, I did not take any photos. Did not check price difference, but it better be extreme for SRT to be "revolutionary".

The trip was useful for determining the direction we are leaning to in floorpans. In our EVC, we sleep up top and use the space below for the living/dining/galley area. If I want I can sleep late up top while my wife has coffee below. We still want that in a "B" (without the pop-top) We do not want to make up (i.e. convert the living area) the bed each night. Separate dinette with rear sleeping will work. We use CG showers, so wet head will be fine for occasional on-board showers. Trivato G with forward dinette and rear sleeping came closest to our plan, but bath is too large and blocks any cross ventilation in rear.

We are not buying at this time, but maybe Hymer will bring Grand Canyon to N.A. in a few years or some N.A. manufacturer will have similar layout. A number of C's with that floorplan, but no B's. Maybe a couple of B's with the 4 forward seat layout if you ripped out the 2 rear seats and made room.

Thanks for the Hershey update. Sad there were no revolutionary Class B models on display.

We are not buying at this time, but maybe Hymer will bring Grand Canyon to N.A. in a few years.

Has anyone received an update from Hymer-USA?
Old 09-16-2015, 07:14 PM   #77
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Different strokes for different folks.
Agree wholeheartedly. Having just spent all of our time looking at Class B's and one or 2 Class C's (and listening to people's comments on size, finish, layout, etc), we had just stopped at Entegra on our way out (saw one camping last year in FL at Topsail Hill). It definitely was different strokes for different folks All in all, an enjoyable morning at Hershey.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:42 PM   #78
Platinum Member

Quote:

No Transit Class B or Class C's?
Old 09-16-2015, 08:03 PM   #79
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostalli View Post
No Transit Class B or Class C's?
Did not see any Transit Class B's. Did not check out all the Class C's so maybe there was a Transit in there somewhere.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:12 PM   #80
Platinum Member

Quote:
Did not see any Transit Class B's. Did not check out all the Class C's so maybe there was a Transit in there somewhere.
A little surprising since Ford is dominating in cargo van sales.

I personally don't see the need for a Transit Class B.