Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default adding an extra fuel tank..

has anyone ever added an extra fuel tank to a rialta.. My spare is in the back door compartment.. so there seems to b room where the spare would go under the back.. Any thoughts on this anyone..

herbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
Platinum Member

You can add an extra fuel tank but why? With a 20 gallon tank you should be able to cover at least 250 miles before fillup. Time to streach and take a break from driving. If you added another 20 gallon tank you will increase your rear weight by 120 pounds and stress your rear axel. There has been cases of finding cracks where the brake hub was welded to the tube axel. On the early LeSharos, a rear tank of 8 gallons was installed to feed the generator but the LeSharo only had a 15 gallon fuel tank. Owners installed a bypass to feed into the main tank because you could only go about 180 miles on a tank of gas.

It would be a good pratice to add your name and model at the end of your messages, as there are differences in models and helps others to better answer your messages about your pacticlure model.

Mike Logan

Formerl 86' LeSharo

Now 04' HD

Smyrna, TN

mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Thanks Mike, I should have told you it is a 1996 with the 5 cylinder engine.. It does go around 250 miles to the tank but the only reason thinking of adding a extra tank is a lot of times when we r travelling, we will come to an area wher the towns r over 150 miles apart witch makes me have to fill up more often because I dont have enough fuel to reach the next town.. This one only seems to average around 14 mpg.. whitch makes me have to stop every 3 to 4 hours sometimes every 2 hours depending on the area..

thanks Herbert

1996 rialta

Terrell, tx

herbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #4
Platinum Member

personnally I woulndt do that ,

when on our roadtrip last year we filled up at every occasion ......

it is way easier to do ,then to configure, install and $$$$$ of adding a second tank....

I always kept two 2 gallons jugs ,,,,but never used them

and believe me we went in really lost areas .....

dan