Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #1

Default Basic Electrical Questions, New Owner, Model: '03, 22HD

We are the proud new owners (a week) of a 2003, Rialto 22HD with 29K miles. The coach has been sitting for over two years and is suffering from the side effects of non-use. I have a number of questions and am hoping for some advice. The initial questions revolve around the coach electrical system as that is key to operation of the generator, refrigerator, water pumps, heater system, possibly interior lighting, and at this point, I'm not sure what else.
I have replaced the two coach batteries, but that has done nothing to allow anything else requiring 12V to seem to work. These batteries are being charged by the engine. All the fuses are good. I don't know how to check the circuit breakers or if I should be concerned there.
1. Is there any very basic documentation available on just how to set up (go about turning everything on) to go on a trip? I received extensive documentation and have reviewed every sheet with no success.
1.1 I have no visible power going to the Monitor Panel or LP Gas Alarm.
1.2 Apparently there is no power going to the generator, refrigerator, water pump, coach heater, thermostat, roof vent fan or shower drain pump (and possibly other items I'm not aware of) as they don't work.
The only option I see is that I can try to get a schematic and travel out from the batteries and try to isolate where the 12Vs is no longer present.
One other question, does anyone have a recommendation for an expert in the Santa Cruz, CA (San Francisco Bay Area) area to help with the troubleshooting and servicing the vehicle?
Notes:
1. The propane operates the refrigerator and stove flawlessly, but not the heater.
2. The Shoreline cord (to 110V) operates the refrigerator, air conditioner and microwave just fine.
3. I'm almost certain the generator (Onan) is going to be a problem once I can get 12V to it to try to start it (varnish in the carburetor possibly). If so, that may be a question for another post.
Thank you for your time,
Bill

wcmcdermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #2

wcmcdermott said:
We are the proud new owners (a week) of a 2003, Rialto 22HD with 29K miles. The coach has been sitting for over two years and is suffering from the side effects of non-use. I have a number of questions and am hoping for some advice. The initial questions revolve around the coach electrical system as that is key to operation of the generator, refrigerator, water pumps, heater system, possibly interior lighting, and at this point, I'm not sure what else.
I have replaced the two coach batteries, but that has done nothing to allow anything else requiring 12V to seem to work. These batteries are being charged by the engine. All the fuses are good. I don't know how to check the circuit breakers or if I should be concerned there.
1. Is there any very basic documentation available on just how to set up (go about turning everything on) to go on a trip? I received extensive documentation and have reviewed every sheet with no success.
1.1 I have no visible power going to the Monitor Panel or LP Gas Alarm.
1.2 Apparently there is no power going to the generator, refrigerator, water pump, coach heater, thermostat, roof vent fan or shower drain pump (and possibly other items I'm not aware of) as they don't work.
The only option I see is that I can try to get a schematic and travel out from the batteries and try to isolate where the 12Vs is no longer present.
One other question, does anyone have a recommendation for an expert in the Santa Cruz, CA (San Francisco Bay Area) area to help with the troubleshooting and servicing the vehicle?
Notes:
1. The propane operates the refrigerator and stove flawlessly, but not the heater.
2. The Shoreline cord (to 110V) operates the refrigerator, air conditioner and microwave just fine.
3. I'm almost certain the generator (Onan) is going to be a problem once I can get 12V to it to try to start it (varnish in the carburetor possibly). If so, that may be a question for another post.
Thank you for your time,
Bill

Have you tried the switch inside house door that switches on or off the house power?

Onan will not start with less than 1/4 tank. Hve you tried to start with full gas tank?
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:34 PM   #3

Hello Vance,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, the 22HD does not have that switch on the side of the cabinet inside the coach door. As it turned out when I got it home the first thing I did was have the two coach batteries replaced. Unfortunately the business that replaced the batteries miswired the #8 black wire in the battery bay to the negative terminal. This shut off all 12V to the coach and therefore all my 12V issues could not be addressed. I posted this question of another board and a member responded that I should check that particular wire placement.

The shop had not been paying attention to the existing wiring when they replaced the battery and apparently assumed the black wire should go to ground and wired it that way. I switched the wire to the positive side and it appears everything 12V works now. There was a bonus to this too. I was sure the generator was going to be a problem, but when i went to see if the geerator would at least turn over, it started and after 3-4 minutes it was running smoothly.

Now I can go after the smaller cosmetic things.

Regards,

Bill

wcmcdermott is offline   Reply With Quote