Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2014, 02:14 PM   #1

Default Battery Problem

Just purchased a 2003 Rialta in Arizona and drove it back to Pennsylvania. Had not problems until we were coming into Pennsylvania. We must have left something on over night that made the coach batteries go dead. After being home and not using the RV for two days and the van battery when dead. I have now charged the battery a few times only to have it go dead the dat after charging. Had the battery checked and it is okay, only a year old. Not sure if something is draining the battery. I just discovered that the Auxiliary Start Switch does not seem to work to start the engine.

Does anyone know of someone that can work on the Rialta in the Harrisburg, PA area?

Thanks for any assistance.

Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Battery Problem

Your solenold is not working to recharge the coach batteries. In between the coach batteries is a solenold that uses the engine alternator to recharge them.
This is a know problem and you need to replace with at least a 200 amp rated continuous type. They cost a little more but you only need to replace it once.

mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:58 PM   #3

Default Battery Problem

Thanks for the information; my son thought it might be the solenoid. I did some further reading about the solenoid issue which indicated a "continuous duty" single pole, single throw, normally open contacts, 3 terminal, 80-110 Amps, 12 VDC. The article referenced either the Camdec (discontinued) or Trombetta unit that was original Winnebago part or another brand source included Noco SWA-3000. Is there a manufacturer and part number you would recommend with a 200 amp rating?

Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #4

Default Battery Problem

I am having the same problem. Battery was keeping about half charge after a long (1200 miles) trip. Now in the middle of the trip it no longer holds anything. Lights don't work or anything.

xiled sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default Battery Problem

Xiled Sailor, Sounds like you coach batteries are bad. Most members replace with group 27 deep cycle batteries from Wal-Mart ($80 each) and I did this last Oct. To install the left side battery, it has to be tipped down to the right to place into the battery compartment. The right side battery will just drop straight down with no problems. For safety, disconnect the engine battery before working on replacing these batteries.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:52 AM   #6

Default Battery Problem

The coach batteries were replaced right before I bought the camper.

Nothing on the DC side works unless the engine is running. Not even when the generator is going.

Some me friends at work are going to help me troubleshoot tomorrow. Maybe it is the batteries, I don't know.

i will post when I find out.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #7

Default Battery Problem

Was that the marine battery? That's the only group 27 one I see on the website.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Default Battery Problem

Check if there is a disconnect switch just inside the coach door, close to the floor. This switch disconnects the storage batteries from any power drain. Your lights, 12v sockets and any other 12v devices will not work if turned off. Get the deep cycle marine battery only, not the one that states cranking amps.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #9

Default Battery Problem

Willie said:Thanks for the information; my son thought it might be the solenoid. I did some further reading about the solenoid issue which indicated a "continuous duty" single pole, single throw, normally open contacts, 3 terminal, 80-110 Amps, 12 VDC. The article referenced either the Camdec (discontinued) or Trombetta unit that was original Winnebago part or another brand source included Noco SWA-3000. Is there a manufacturer and part number you would recommend with a 200 amp rating?

To follow up on this ....does anybody have a brand and part number for a 200 amp solenoid? I don't see that anyone responded to this question

DougCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote