Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2011, 03:25 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Coach door entry light and cab light circuit PLUS auto door lock trouble!! Help!

Just took the Rialta '99 HD out for Thanksgiving. The switch at the entry of the coach no longer turns on the light..However, when the cab door is opened the lights light bright along with entry light. When door is closed, the cab light goes real dim for 5 seconds and flashes out. When the switch is turned on at the entry, it does not light at all but the front cab light glows very dim and stays that way unless you turn off the switch. When this failure occured, the automatic door locks also ceased to work? Does anyone know what this circuit is or where the circuits, relays, are? Or, better yet, how this is fixed?

Otherwise, the coach was driven nearly 1,000 miles from Arizona to Los Angeles, then San Diego, then home to Arizona. Overall MPG was around 17 mpg, taking into consdieration hill climbs from the coast to the desert.

Hope someone can help with these door lock and lighting circuits and questions!

Thanks!

Paul

CGAZ Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:13 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Coach door entry light and cab light circuit PLUS auto door lock trouble!! Help!

O.K....so I'll answer my own question for anyone this helps. I took the Rialta in to the Volkswagen Dealer this morning. Turns out the door locks and dome light circuit are interconnected. It was a fuse - as far as I know from what they told me. Hopefully, there is not a shorted wire anywhere so I'll be watching for that.

My Check Engine light (this time) was from the Fuel Vapor Sensor which is now being replaced. Also had a bad Radiator Fan thermal switch go bad. Hopefully this is it for a while.

Paul

CGAZ Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
Pip

The cab light and the coach floor courtesy are connected. When it works properly it should go like this:

Turn on the cab light

Turn on the (ceiling switch to right)

Turn on the floor courtesy light

With all doors closed the cab light should dim and go out. The floor light should stay on.

When you exit the coach, the beeper should sound, and floor light should be on.

Open the door and the cab light should come on to help you find your way in the dark. It will stay on till you repeat the process.

Great design, the previous owner thought the floor light burned out, so he attached an LED light at the door instead. Drove it for 7 years that way, never knowing how it worked. I found out by accidently leaving the cab switch on, thinking it was the usual type of headliner light in autos that comes on when the door is opened. It does!

Pip is offline   Reply With Quote