Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2021, 05:32 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Engine Replacement

Hi Gang,

I have a 95 Rialta, and it hasn't run in a number of years. I'm starting to restore the RV and I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to remove the original motor and drop in a crate motor / replacement motor.

I realize that there isn't all that much room in the engine compartment, but it seems like I should be able to get "something" that could be made to work.

A lot of people have mentioned a 2.8L VR6 engine, but I don't know if they make those anymore as I can't seem to locate one, new or used.

If anyone has done an engine replacement / upgrade, I'd love to hear what you used.

thanks!
FlootloseNFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:28 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I'd assume everything from the air filter to the tires is essentially an "assembly"

If the motor is pooched, assess the tranny

consider rebuilding rather than replacing

I have not had, but I sure like the Rialtas

poptop heaven in Yucaipa California specializes in these

might be worth reaching out to them

cheers, Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:36 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I seem to recall seeing an article where they put in a complete front cradle out of a GM V6 vehicle. I think it was a Buick V6.

It was a big job, but certainly a doable one for a reasonably experienced mechanical person with the required tools.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 02:21 PM   #4
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I seem to recall seeing an article where they put in a complete front cradle out of a GM V6 vehicle. I think it was a Buick V6.
I was in the market when I saw the Ebay posting of this Rialta for sale. Very detailed description on what was done. Got the complete cradle from a junkyard. He had 3 goals of increasing engine power, reliability and reducing the detective work to find parts. He also replaced the rear wheel hubs so when he was done all running gear (brakes, wheels, etc.) was commonly available. He created parts and service manuals. Had pictures - impressive.

The ground clearance of the vehicle seemed low. Instead I bought a Roadtrek........
GroupB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 02:48 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Well I don't know if the motor is pooched, it hasn't ran in years. And discussing the situation with a few of my mechanically inclined friends, they were the ones who suggested it might be less work to just remove / drop in a new engine, vs trying to do a full engine rebuild on the current engine.

They also suggested another benefit of doing that would be that a newer engine of approximately the same size using today's technology would be a far superior engine compared to one from 25 years ago.

Thanks for the suggestion of Rialta heaven, I actually have reached out to them, and they are completely swamped (thanks to the pandemic) and have a 6 month backlog of work before they could even get to mine. =/

I am open to both rebuilding and replacing, I'm just exploring all the options.

thanks everyone!
FlootloseNFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 02:13 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Previously owned a 2004 HD and recommend these sites. Winnebago Rialta Motor Home
https://groups.io/g/Rialta Recommend you rebuild the engine, add transmission cooler, and join those groups. Membership is about 500 and has one member that knows everything about Rialta's and how to repair them.
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 04:38 PM   #7

Ask at a shop that specializes in European Import repairs, Volkswagen in particular.
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:13 PM   #8
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloganusda View Post
Previously owned a 2004 HD and recommend these sites. Winnebago Rialta Motor Home
https://groups.io/g/Rialta Recommend you rebuild the engine, add transmission cooler, and join those groups. Membership is about 500 and has one member that knows everything about Rialta's and how to repair them.
As a former Rialta owner (2002 so a 24 valve VR6) I totally endorse the Rialta groups.io site. I suggest the tech site is a better place to start than the above at https://groups.io/g/Rialta-Tech.

The two VR6 engines (24V and 12V) used on this vehicle are actually inline engines with a slight 15 degree Vee angle so only a single cylinder head. Unlike a true Vee engine, they are not wide, so fit well in the Eurovan/Rialta engine compartment, probably not much longer/wider than your 5 cyl engine. So more a matter of external engine related equipment like ECU, etc. So you’d definitely need a donor vehicle, not just a bare engine.
Bertiboo is offline   Reply With Quote