Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2010, 12:50 AM   #1

Default HD refrigerator

We are new rialta owners and wonder about the refrigerator in the 2003 HD. It seems to be large enough but not sure about the quality. We tried it out in our driveway, leveled it and after about 8 hours it seemed to be cooling some. What happens when you are driving, does it stay cold? Are there other options if this does not work well? Copper Couple

Copper Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:22 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default HD refrigerator

I have the 1999 HD but the refrigerator is the same (Norcold). Providing that the components in the back, accessible from the outside removable panels, are clean and the burner is firing as the manual states it should be good and ready between your 8 hours and 24 hours. I always fire it up the day before a trip. I live in the heat of Arizona so I put it on number 5. You can leave it on propane while driving. I have never had it blow out. Important: Once the fridge is totally cooled, you can put it on to 12V (battery symbol on dial) while driving - just REMEMBER to turn it back to propane (flame symbol) when you stop. Leave it on the 12V at gas stations until you are tanked. You can also turn it to electric if you are running your generator while driving. The fridge will only "maintain" the cold at the 12 volt setting. (You can NOT start a warm fridge on the 12v setting and expect it to get cold.) The propane and electric are the best ways to go. I can make ice cubes in my freezer and am very pleased. Hopefully your freezer door still has the spring tension to it? There are springs that can be wound back up once the side pivot points are carefully removed. It takes patience. My rig (bought used in 2010) had Velcro holding the freezer door which meant no seal and it dripped constantly. Also, be sure you have the drip pan in the fridge portion and empty it every few days as needed or it could overflow. These parts are still available if you need them online.

CGAZ Paul is offline   Reply With Quote