Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #1

Default heater

Can anyone tell me if the furnace is electric or propane or both. I do not understand all these things yet. If we park somewhere, how do we run the heat without the engine running. Help, thanks.

rosyroxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
Bronze Member

Default heater

Hi,

The heat in our 1998 Rialta runs off the propane and I believe the fan for it is off the auxilary coach batteries. Use the wall thermostat. Ours slides (hard) on the bottom of the thermostat to turn it on and then adjust the temp. on top of thermostat. No engine needed works great!

csreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:45 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Default heater

The forced air furnace is propane and runs off the wall thermostat and uses the coach batteries. The motoraide heater uses the engine coolant and there is a knob above it that turns to open and close the coolant valve for the amount of heat you want. The switch over the driver's head controls the fan for the motoraide heater. I am shocked at how well that heater works while on the road. In less than a minute the coach is toasty. Of course these coolant lines also feed the Atwood Marine water heater. My water is piping hot at 190 degrees F. after a short time of driving. I would recommend taking a look at all of these coolant lines and elbow fitting to be sure the are in good shape. It is tedious but I just replaced all of them in my 1999 HD. Peace of mind and no coolant smell in the coach. I had to buy that special "Y" pipe the seperates the motoraide water heater from the motraide heater core. You can still get it from Winnebago but it is a tricky part number to find. I spent nearly an hour on the phone, but bought my shiny new pipe. The old one had some corrosion and I suspected a possible leak. Again, safety and peace of mind first.

CGAZ Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #4

Default heater

Just FYI. My heater stopped working so I took it to Camping World in Valencia. They didn't fix it though they charged me several hundred dollars and said they fixed it. I live 300 miles away from the closest dealer, so I took it to Eastern Sierra Propane in Bishop, California. They tore the full bed completely out, replaced the motor, serviced the entire thing for $400. They put everything back together and it works fabulously. Just the bed tear down was labor intensive. The owner has an RV so knows what needs to be done. My recommendation is that if you can;t do the work yourself, and your propane heater stops working consider taking it to a propane supplier.

yosemite4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #5

Default heater

I spent about two hours trying to find out why my Rialta furnace would not light.

I got a copy of the manual, (available online), and determined that the fan switch was not closing.

I then discovered that one of the outlet vents was totally closed, opened it, and the furnace runs OK.

Lesson learned: If the furnace will not start,(light the propane), make sure that the outlet vens are open.

GCorkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:02 AM   #6

Default heater

Have a question about my furnace. I operated the furnace on a cold night recently and everything was working fine to begin with but by morning it was only blowing cold air. I had a full propane tank so I'm thinking it didn't run out of propane. I was boondocking it so didn't have any alternate way to stay warm. Is this normal? Is there a better way to stay warm? Thanks.

John '99FD

jbaize3 is offline   Reply With Quote