Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2015, 10:31 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default losing power and fuel milage

I have a 1996 rialta with the 2.5 engine.. the 5 cylinder.. It has always run great with no problems.. It has always amazed me how it did on hills and the freeways.. But now the check engine light will come on and it loses all power and is very slow at climbing to normal speeds.. the milage has droped about 2 to 3 miles per gallon.. This one dont have the obc port so no one can tell me whats going on.. when the light comes on I can stop and turn the key off and when I re-start it its fine.. Or sometimes just stop and take off again.. does anyone have any ideals.. All comments welcome.. got a lot of trips planned for the summer and dont want to have no problems.. thanks Herb

herbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:18 AM   #2
Silver Member

It has an OBD-I port. There are two connectors at the top of the fuse panel, one white and one black. Using an adapter cable for these, VCDS can talk to the computers. There's also a procedure for getting the Check Engine Light to blink out the numbers of any stored codes. Without knowing the code numbers, any suggestions would only be a wild guess.

Duane

TXPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:00 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Thanks Duane, I know about them but cant find anyone with the adapter.. Do you know any where I might buy an adapter.. Or even buy a code reader that would read the codes aND TELL ME WHAT THE CODES ARE. I have one for the older fords but cant seem to find anyone that has one for a VW

Old 05-30-2015, 09:04 AM   #4
Silver Member

There are adapters on ebay. Item # 331069683351 is one example.

There's also a less expensive option than VCDS that can read the codes, though it won't allow the extra detail. Item # 261582551666 It's been checked out on the 5 cylinder vehicles and works fine.

Duane

TXPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:38 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Thank you again Duane, You have no idea how much i appreciate your in put.. I have ordered the adaptor and its on the way.. Thank you thank you thank you.. Herb

Old 07-14-2023, 10:50 PM   #6

Default Can someone update

the Ebay item numbers for the OBD-I port scanner / adapter referred to on this thread are very outdated at this point and no longer exist.
I have a 1995 and the engine light is on at low RPM's
Can someone advise as to what tool/s I need to pull the codes
Thanks
wcpastures is offline   Reply With Quote