Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2010, 04:20 PM   #1

Default Malfunction Indicator Light on..

We recently bought a 1999 Rialta with 31,000 miles and we just took it to the car wash. It is a hot day and we left the AC on while my husband washed it. While waiting, the Malfunction Indicator Light came on. We drove it around the block and it stayed on. Our general mechanic is very close so we took it to him, and looked in the VW book to find for info. It said that the On Board Diagnostic System (OBDII) is located behind a protective cover, right of the ignition/starter switch. We could not find it.. looked all over, under dash, etc. Does anyone have an idea of what this could be and where the OBDII is located?

Thanks,
Mary

rialta mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:07 AM   #2

I now have a little more figured out about our Rialta's MIL coming on. We called the previous owner and he said the warning light was super sensitive.. gave us a couple of hints and told us to have it turned off.. which we did. (It never ran rough or blinked.. it just was lit after the car wash.) I have been googling for info on this topic and found comments about other VW MIL lights coming on when it was humid/wet weather. Well, we just had a couple of days of rain and sure enough, when we started it, it began to run rough and the indicator light was again on. Somehow, something is super sensitive to moisture. Does this give anyone any other thought on what may need replacing/cleaning/attention of some sort? I am just trying to avoid a a costly repair bill, after reading some of the horror stories of others, trying to get to the root of this problem, using a typical Rialta repair shop. Thanks again, Mary

rialta mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:15 PM   #3

>>>I am just trying to avoid a a costly repair bill, a.................

typically the computer is in the location where the chassis mfg would have put it. Many chain auto parts houses offer free code reading. I bet they even have a manual if not 1 employee who has enough experience to know where to look.

It is free to ask.

DanAtTheCape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #4

Hello.. and a follow up question here. I assume what Mary is discussing is the Yellow Caution light on the dashboard indicator lights.

I also recently had my Yellow caution light come on, (1997 Rialta) and it stays on now. Where should I look for this problem or should I take it in for a computer analysis checkup? And if I do drive it, will it cause a problem with this light still on?

If a Computer analysis is the option, do all auto service centers provide this for the Jetta engines?

Thanks..

PrimoDude

addendum.. . I found via a Advanced Automotive store diagnostics, that I do have a small problem with the code P0440 Evaporator Control System. Repair is scheduled.

PrimoDude is offline   Reply With Quote