Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #1

Default New owner of 2002...starts and stops.... am I doing something wrong?

We are proud new owners of 2002 Rialta for 2 days now. At the registry office, I couldn't get it to start. It would start and stop, start and stop and this went on for about 10 times. We then went to Walmart and shopped for about 40 min and came back and again, it would start and stop, start and stop.... we were there for about 15 min before it started. But this time with an engine light warning.... Is it a known problem or am I doing something wrong? Would appreciate any help at all as we are afraid to take it out again in case we do more harm.

Wayne

Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
Bronze Member

Recently had similar problem. Turn the key, motor revs up to about 1200 rpm and promptly dies. Had to turn the key and pump the gas 10-15 times to get it going. The VW dealer diagnosed a bad battery. A new battery solved it immediately. The old battery was only putting out 10.6 volts and the computer chip kept trying to shut everything down because of the inadequate power. Not sure if this is exactly what you have; but it's one thing to look at. Good luck. Make sure to let us all know what it was. I know many have had similar issues.

Bob and Dedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:11 AM   #3

Thanks, I will! We are going to a Autozone tomorrow so they can read the computer and reset it.... I tried it today and it started but the warning light is still on. So we will get some results and will sure to post. Thanks again!

Old 11-29-2012, 01:38 AM   #4
Bronze Member

ok-light could be related. Mine was a faulty gear position sending unit.

Rialtas are known for very finicky check engine lights. Even for loose gas caps.

Bob and Dedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #5

We couldn't get it started to take it to get computer read.... Friends came around to see what the blue air was all about! For some reason, I am the only one that has trouble starting this unit... Friends sat in and started. We phoned a 78 yr old friend we just met that has one and she said to lock the door and then unlock it and put foot down on the brake... that worked! For everyone else, not me... We think it has to do with the sensor we think! Everyone that got it to start seemed to be well endowed for the behind so next thing to try is put a big cushion down and then sit on it.... more to follow LOL