Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2012, 05:01 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Replacement Rooftop AC unit for ultimate cooling.

I have a 1999 Rialta HD. It had the original roof AC powered by a Generac NP-30g generator. I live in the Arizona desert with temps usually around 111 deg. F to 115 deg. F. These old 7,100 btu units cannot handle this and normally cut out after a few minutes. Even if they run all day they really cannot keep up. Otherwise, the unit would be fine in most circumstances. I will say that the front automotive AC does keep up even in this heat. I did lots of research on makes, models, amp draw, btu's, etc. I would have loved to have the lower profile Penguin model but wanted the ultimate unit with the lowest amp draw. I found what I feel is about the best but be warned that it is amazing and will feeze you like a meat locker in normal climates.

I bought the Dometic Brisk-Air High Efficiency unit that has 13,500 btu's and ONLY draws 8.1 amps on full load. This is about as good as it gets. I replaced the old unit hoping that the little Generac would handle it. It handles it beautifully and never cuts out even after running for hours. With the AC on high, I still have plenty of power to operate other items in the coach. It keeps up with any temperature and the unit has 3-speeds on the fan. I noticed that the price and the weight was more than most of the other units but well worth it. It looks good on the roof and is shorter in length but a tad bit higher. Oddly, it fits the profile of the coach better than the original I feel.

CGAZ Paul is offline   Reply With Quote