Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #1

Default Rialta rear wheels

We have driven our "99 QD 130,000 miles all over the country for the last 10 years. The only "startleing" thing that happens to us is the tendency for the rear wheels to FALL OFF! Well not really fall off but become very loose and almost fall off. The rear wheels are held on by only 1 bolt and nut in the hub.

This nut tends to come loose. I've replaced the self-locking nuts with new ones and they stll have come loose.I have since replaced both nuts with 2 self-locking nuts on each wheel. Maybe this will work.

Has anyone else had this problem? Frank

Frank W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:40 PM   #2

Wow, I did not know that the rear wheels might be a problem. I just purchased a 2001 Rialta. How often do you have to check to see if the nuts are tight? I am creating a little checklist of things I should check prior to every road trip. I guess I may have to add this as well.

guscord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:24 PM   #3

Haven't had this problem but don't let anyone tell you it's OK to rotate tires from front to back!

whirlarado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:16 PM   #4

We have had our '99 Rialta for nearly ten years and have never had a wheel loosen in almost 100,000 miles. While traveling south this year, we blew a back tire in central Illinois on US-51 south of Decatur. A towing company put on the spare for us. We were able to drive with the spare tire, which is the front tire size, inflated to 65. Since the original tires are no longer made by Continental, the following is the replacement tire ordered for our Rialta rear wheels: Continental Vanco 2, Stock #045-1155, Size 215R70R15. The Ford service that ordered the tires for us and put them on suggested we rotate the back tires by turning them around front to back and exchange sides when we have this done to even out the wear on the tires. We will also do this with the front tires now.

elizbell is offline   Reply With Quote