Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2014, 03:09 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Shower Power Drain filter - relocate

For any of you that use your Rialta showers. You would know by now the woes of the drain slowing down or not draining at all. I read the manual that expalins the necessity of cleaning the filter screen after so many uses (how many?). In my model (HD) the filter housing was reached by lifting up the dinette base and contorting underneath. It was just impossible and I hurt my back on one attempt. As it turned out, once apart, I just couldn't get the thing back together. After the first fiasco, I always ended up removing the wardrobe floor! This helped but getting that housing apart - or together was maddening. It turned out that after 8-12 showers the drain slowed to a halt. Just what I needed; crawling around breaking a sweat after a nice shower!

FINALLY! I decided to re-route the filter. My Rialta was factory original and I was surprised at where they put this thing. Since all components are actually under the wardrobe floor, I attached a pull-out strap to the floor panel. I still screw the floor down but the strap makes it easy to pull up. I re-routed the filter to about the middle of the wardrobe area (where the water line goes and continues under the furnace). I made a new cut there and installed a new (identical but modified and easier) filter that I purchased at an RV supply store. This new one is much easier to open and clean. Now, I just take up the floor quickly, open the filter, brush off the debris, a quick wash/rinse, and reinstall. Floor back in place and I am good to go. Now I can plan my cleaning and, when the drain just starts to slow, clean it anytime.

Paul

CGAZ Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:48 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Paul, one member has made a pre-filter that fits over the shower drain to keep any particles out of the filter. It is a simple tube with slots cut in the bottom and a piece of panty hose to strain the trash out. Very easy to reach down to remove and clean.

mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:39 AM   #3
Platinum Member

mloganusda said:Paul, one member has made a pre-filter that fits over the shower drain to keep any particles out of the filter. It is a simple tube with slots cut in the bottom and a piece of panty hose to strain the trash out. Very easy to reach down to remove and clean.

great idea !!!