Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #1

Default Side Door Handle

The door latch / lock / handle assembly is no longer available, so I am wondering if I can repair it. The top pivot point of the outside lever (door handle lever to open door) has come loose. I can still open the door if I pull on the bottom of the lever, but if I pull on the top of the lever it pulls out away from the door, revealing the pivot point. I'm afraid it will break entirely.
CAN THIS BE REPAIRED?

rhuntting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:36 AM   #2

Default Side Door Handle

We have a 99 QD. Yes, you can get a new coach door lock. I had to replace my coach door lock assy due to being able to open it with your fingernail when it was locked. I bought new inside and outside plates from Lichtsinn Motors in Iowa. BUT, if you install it the way you receive it, you'll break your screen door when you close the door, PLUS the new model will NOT work with the electric door lock. I redesigned the whole system so it would work with the new outside lock plate (curved on the side facing the front) and work with my old inside plate, and modified a few parts so I could use the electric lock feature. Winnebago engineer said it couldn't be done, but what do I know? I did it anyway, and it works fine.

If Winnebago is listening, I'd be happy to sell them my design. (I copyrighted my modification and plan to patent it). Sorry, no freebie plans how I did it. And, as an option, if you want, my design will lock both the deadbolt and the handle lock at the same time, but if you do that, you will need two separate keys to open it, unless you want to use the ignition key to open one of the front door locks instead.

Jerry

Rev Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote