Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #1

Default Television questions

Wondering what kind of antenna works the best or if I need a satellite dome. We will be touring the U.S. at some point. We are currently in California and hope to begin our journey doing some weekend RVing until we are familiar with all the gadgets. We were told to keep our RV hooked up electrically while sitting in our driveway. Is this necessary or useful?

Copper Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
Bronze Member

Copper Couple said:Wondering what kind of antenna works the best or if I need a satellite dome. We will be touring the U.S. at some point. We are currently in California and hope to begin our journey doing some weekend RVing until we are familiar with all the gadgets. We were told to keep our RV hooked up electrically while sitting in our driveway. Is this necessary or useful?

We changed out our antenna to a 360 degree (round, disc type) RV antenna from Radio Shack. Went coast to coast this summer and always got in a few channels usually 10 or more. Added a 19" flat screen TV and it worked great.

Haven't heard aboput keeping electricity hooked up.

csreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:46 PM   #3

Thank you....we welcome any and all information you are willing to share with us. I think we are a little bit intimidated with this wonderfully engineered RV. How long have you been a Rialta owner? Copper Couple

Copper Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
Bronze Member

We bought our 1998Rialta in Oct. 2009 and also were very intimidated!!!! We did an overnighter about an hour from home first and then a week in Wash. DC. Two more two-nighters and then the big trip this summer, nearly 10,000 miles with out a glitch. Our Rialta had about 38,000 miles on it when we got it. We try to always keep the RPM guage in the "green zone" when possible (for us 63-65 mph) normal driving. We crossed the mountains, went through 112 degree heat and 30 degree cold on that trip and the Rialta was great! We are in Maine. Read the section in this forum on downshifting problem (my posting). Once we conquered that we went anywhere we wantd, parking in downtown cities, and climbing the steepest roads (slowly on these).We really believe you need to go slow on the steep stuff rather than pushing the engine if you want it to last. The Baldy's Rialta website is very helpful. We are changing the transmission fluid as recommended there, every 20,000 miles and also use Mobil 1 synthetic oil. (Change generator oil and filter asrecommended too.)

Hope this helps!

Old 09-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #5

Hello csreese,

Where did you place your flat screen TV? We have the QD layout and there doesn't seem to be a good place to install a flat screen other than where the 9" TV is now. We have considered taking that one out and having a larger flat screen installed in that location. Any advice or information you could give would be appreciated.

Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #6
Bronze Member

We were lucky, the only option we don't have is the 9" TV. Our Rialta is the twin bed model so the flat screen sits right on the back counter in between the beds when we are stopped and rides on the floor between (secured with a bungee attached to cup hooks) when we are traveling.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:53 AM   #7

Thank you very much for your reply.

Are you happy with your Rialta? We just purchased a 2004QD and haven't had a chance to use it yet. I haven't seen another QD like ours in person. Ours is painted a solid gold-like color. I've seen one other that is the color of ours on an on-line sales forum.

I've been trying to do some research for the Rialta to learn as much as I can. There are a few things we would like to update on it and still try to retain the original look and layout. That little 9 inch TV seems more like an afterthought than a item meant for entertainment. The picture is so small it would give you eyestrain to try to watch it. We will definitely try to switch it out and I would love to replace the antennae with a satellite dish.

Thanks again for your help. I certainly appreciate it.

Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
Bronze Member

We are very happy with our Rialta. We took a 10,000 mile trip in it this summer and it was just amazing. Perfect for two. We have only owned ours for 10 months but really love it. Ours is a 1998 that had 38,000 miles on it when we bought it. No problems through the mtns., extreme heat, and city driving.

Cindy

Old 09-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #9

If you haven't already done so, check out this site. http://www.cccgis.com/Rialta/T.....  If you're the least bit internet savy, you can get to the root directory for this site (it's hosted on a commercial site and you can't get to all the Rialta stuff he's posted from the home page. This fellow gutted his Rialta and redesigned it. Inside and outside treatments turned this into a custom home-away-from-home. He installed flat screen T.V. and 5:1 surround sound to name only a few. Check it out.

Gumppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #10

holly said:

Hello csreese,

Where did you place your flat screen TV? We have the QD layout and there doesn't seem to be a good place to install a flat screen other than where the 9" TV is now. We have considered taking that one out and having a larger flat screen installed in that location. Any advice or information you could give would be appreciated.

We placed our flat screen 19" television on the flat area next to the rear window. It is a great place to put it because the antenna hookup and the electrical outlet are located just above it. We purchased a tv had had a built in DVD player. It is only 2" thick so it takes up little room. When we are traveling, we store the tv in a padded bag we got from Sams Club (bag is insulated for carrying groceries).

guscord is offline   Reply With Quote