Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2015, 01:08 PM   #1

Default Tires on ice and snow

We are new to the rv world and now have a 1995 Rialta. Any recommendations for driving on ice and snow as ours is terrible. Getting stuck right at home and we're planning to leave in a few days for a cross country drive.

tertayche3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:27 AM   #2
Silver Member

Probably the best advice I would give for driving on ice/snow is DON'T.

The Vanco tires that were original equipment have very little traction in slippery conditions, including sand. You can improve it quite a bit by getting some better tires. Nokian has some WR C Van tires that are rated for snow and have better grip. For the short term, you could buy some cable type chains for help.

Even the best tires won't fix all the problems. The rear tires have a wider track than the front, so you have to create 4 tracks in the snow instead of 2 like most vehicles. That creates more resistance and less traction.

Take it slow and best of luck getting to a place where it won't be a concern for awhile.

Duane

TXPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:45 PM   #3

Thank you.

tertayche3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:47 PM   #4

I got stuck in a snow storm in southern Arizona over New Years. I am somewhat used to driving in snow because I grew up in Utah. However, this was a different experience. I had to drive very slow on a winding road in order to feel safe, 10 MPH, until I hit dry pavement. I have Continental tires which look like ther are in good condition but there is so much pressure in the tires they are as hard as a rock and do not give you good traction in snow and ice conditions.

gverburg is offline   Reply With Quote