Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #1

Default water heater reset switch

I have a 2002 HD and can't seem to locate the hot water reset switch. Any ideas. I took the wiring access door off and looked around but did not see a red rod to push. Help! I want to do some camping soon and need the hot water to work.

kkferlito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:23 AM   #2
Platinum Member

If I remember correctly, once you take that access cover off (where the wiring gets connected) you should find a tiny red button next to the place where the wires come out. In mine, it was buried beneath the insulation, so dig around carefully and you should find it. This button is real small and round, about the size of the hole in a cheerio and it is red.

I thought that was my problem too and the manual wasn't clear where it is located. Turns out it was NOT the reset button but the wires attached to the connection at the wall switch. For some reason (in mine) the wires were a 20 amp gauge and the switch was only for a 15 amp gauge wire. They didn't really fit right and because of this, melted. I could not get the wires pushed back into that connector and felt it was unsafe anyhow, so I bought a new switch. One should get an actual switch rated for Water Heaters. The one I got was gray in color and was available at Lowe's in the electrical aisle. The heater works great and safe now.

CGAZ Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #3

Thanks for your input. I will look again for the reset switch when I have the patience to open the access area. The switch does seem flimsy so maybe that is my problem too. I think I will take it to the RV repairman and see what they think.

kkferlito is offline   Reply With Quote