Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #1

Default What Type of Gas Should I Use

I just bought a 2002 Rialta. It has the bigger 6 cylinder engine. The owner's manual suggest premium gas but also states that regular gas is OK. I would prefer to save money by buying regular gas but if there is a big difference in performance then I will buy premium. Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of gas to buy?

gverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
Silver Member

I have a 2005 and only use premium. If you read the manual carefully, it says you can use regular "if you can't find premium". It also says not to apply a heavy load when using regular. I think carrying a house around behind you qualifies as a heavy load.

I tried using regular when I first got mine. It will go, but has much less pep and power. Even a small hill would slow it down a lot.

Duane

TXPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:10 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I have some tidbits of info about this. Using the Premium gas is the best way to go for several reasons. You WILL NOT save by using the lower grades! I did a careful test on this driving across country CA to FL. My gas mileage (including horsepower) was so far improved, that, after doing all the math calculations (no I am not a Nerd) was interesting! You actually get further down the road (more bang for your buck) with the Premium (dollar for dollar) than with the lower grades.

Another fact is that, the lower the octane, the hotter the fuel burns. The Rialta temp gauge (in mine) never really changes, but in my older Ford motorhome the difference in readings was dramatically lower with the better gas. So, you run cooler, more powerful, better for the engine, and get further down the road for the dollars spent. You will save by using the Premium! Also, takes the guilt and stress out of deciding.

Paul

CGAZ Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
Platinum Member

what normaly happens is our engines being at around 10 to1 compression ratio ,

the engine could ping under load with regular gas ......if the ECU senses this situation it backs up on timing .

result : less horsepower !

premium gas prevents this ......

better drive with full timing advance ( full HP ) ,....= better gas milaeage !

I had a Hemi in my Dodge : smae principle : would run on regular but what a difference on premium