Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2017, 07:20 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default 2017.5 Travato hitch storage and bike rack

I wonder if anyone has installed a Stowaway 2 hitch-swing arm mounted storage box on a 2017.5 or 2018 Travato equipped with the new ladder (and rack) and bicycle rack. I found information and picture online that this has been accomplished on earlier Travato's with the Fiamma rack/ladder/bike rack option.

My guess is there is still clearance between the Stowaway 2 and the new ladder. However, I cannot discern if the new model bike rack unfolded for use will clear the top of the Stowaway 2 box or not. I know the old rack could be positioned high but I haven't found information or seen one of the new ones yet to know if it can have different height position. Ideally it can be used in a low or somewhat low position and still clear the StowAway 2 lid. Opening the box lid with bike rack in operating position is another matter I would like to hear about if anyone also has experience with that with the new rack. Pictures of a 2017.5 or 2018 would be great if someone has successfully done this already.

Gene
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:26 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

You must join the FB Travato owner's group.

Lots of people with the Stowaway2.

From pictures in the group, I don't think there is a problem.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:09 PM   #3
Platinum Member

If the bottom of the rack is even with the lower edge of the rear windows, then it will clear with enough space to open the top a enough to get things in and out.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:04 AM   #4
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storysrvwego View Post
I wonder if anyone has installed a Stowaway 2 hitch-swing arm mounted storage box on a 2017.5 or 2018 Travato equipped with the new ladder (and rack) and bicycle rack. I found information and picture online that this has been accomplished on earlier Travato's with the Fiamma rack/ladder/bike rack option.

My guess is there is still clearance between the Stowaway 2 and the new ladder. However, I cannot discern if the new model bike rack unfolded for use will clear the top of the Stowaway 2 box or not. I know the old rack could be positioned high but I haven't found information or seen one of the new ones yet to know if it can have different height position. Ideally it can be used in a low or somewhat low position and still clear the StowAway 2 lid. Opening the box lid with bike rack in operating position is another matter I would like to hear about if anyone also has experience with that with the new rack. Pictures of a 2017.5 or 2018 would be great if someone has successfully done this already.

Gene
No. My 2018 is being picked up in 2 weeks and I asked for measurements. With the bike rack in the down position, there are only 18 inches from the top inside of the receiver hitch to the bottom of the bike rack. The Stowaway box cannot be used if you intend to use the bike rack. I ordered the Stowaway frame and purchased a box that is LESS than 15 inches high. The frame uses 3 inches of the 18 available. I like some of the features of the new rack but wish they had found a way to mount it higher on the Travato.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:32 AM   #5
BBQ
Platinum Member

I have seen people use the Fiama bike rack (at the high position) and Stowaway2 together.

I don't know if the Fiama bike rack is still available.
I know at couple of people who got the RV with the bike rack, but they removed it because they don't need it. I don't have their names though.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:42 AM   #6
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

I have seen people use the Fiama bike rack (at the high position) and Stowaway2 together.

I don't know if the Fiama bike rack is still available.
I know at couple of people who got the RV with the bike rack, but they removed it because they don't need it. I don't have their names though.
Fiamma is available from distributors but not from Winnebago on the Travato. They are making their own bike and roof racks used on all their class B vans.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:26 PM   #7

fiamna website is shutdown due to some internal tradgedy afaik. Anyway to get a dealer listing?
Penelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:41 AM   #8
Silver Member

I think this is the bike rack you are looking for:

Fiamma 02093B89 Dodge Promaster Aluminum Bike Rack

I do not know this dealer though.

I hope that someone reading this will confirm that the above rack is the same as the ones that Winnebago installed 2014 and 2015 Travato.

When I was looking at the new Travato, I noticed the change in the bike racks. I am also interested in using a Stowaway Box and the new bike racks would get in the way. Good luck.
fruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:48 AM   #9
Platinum Member

That is the correct bike rack.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I forgot to add: If you purchase this rack, and I highly recommend it, be sure to limit your door travel to about 90 degrees. This isn't optional. Winnebago uses 1/16" braided steel cable and proprietary clips and they don't last. 1" nylon strap works better and lasts longer. Fold it over at the end, punch a hole in it and find a bolt somewhere on the door hinge to attach it to at both ends. Inspect it frequently.

Also, when I'm not using the rack I remove the wheel holders and clamp arms and stow them away.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:42 PM   #11
Silver Member

Just a side note, I was at the dealer today and saw one of the new red Travatos. I noticed that the roof rack and ladder, and the new style bike rack were dark gray, the dealer said they were powder coated that color.

The dealer did not know if this was going to be how the roof racks / ladder and bike rack were going to be from this point on or if it was just on the red Travatos.
fruch is offline   Reply With Quote