Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2020, 01:29 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Blu TPMS

Is anyone here using Blu TPMS distributed by Advanced Accessory Concepts? Or, any opinions on it? Online reviews are few and varied.

https://www.aacbrands.com/

Their TPMS specific site:
BLU Technology Products | Products

Some searching seems to indicates that Sysgration Ltd. designed & manufactures the product line.

https://www.sysgration.com/en/tpms-overview

Sysgration appears to be a well established automotive tech company.

Camping World & RV Upgrades & other sites sell the TPMS system:

https://www.campingworld.com/electro...Concepts%20Llc

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/searc...ology+Products

Monitoring is via App or Voice Dongle. Sysgration has display + voice dongles but I can't find where to purchase the TA-86.

Optional dongles:
https://www.sysgration.com/en/ble-tp...or-accessories

AAC's Blu TPMS App from the Play Store seems good. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.blu.tpms.app

I think Sysgration's apps will also work. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...Sysgration+Ltd

A quick test swinging a bag containing the well boxed sensors showed that the sensors and app works. The voice alert is specific - Right rear tire pressure low. Left front tire pressure low. Etc.

There is a note that the 100 psi units might only report pressures up to 92 psi "due to variations in electronic tolerances".

I think they'd be OK for my van with 80psi rears as my understanding is that a 10% increase in pressure caused by temperature indicates a tire problem that needs to be solved.

I like that you can specify different settings for the front and rear tires.

The aluminum alloy valve stem design appears to isolate the alloy from touching the painted steel rims. Should I be concerned about the aluminum alloy valve stems at all?

I got the 4 internal sensors for $99 + tax on Amazon so not too many options around that price and that allow different settings for the front and rear tires.

Just trying to decide if I should get them installed on the van. The hesitation is due to alloy stems, 92psi limit of some sensors & always needing a phone unless I purchase the voice dongle.

Blu TPMS 1.png

Blu TPMS 3.png

Blu TPMS 4.png

Blu TPMS 5.png

Blu TPMS 6.png
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:52 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I'm satisfied with my $40 TPMS system from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:59 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Thanks Mike - sure is easier to go with external sensors & very tempting - but I think internal is the way to go if I do it. They will give more accurate temperature info as they're not being cooled by ambient air. I recently learned that there will be less pressure variation reported as you climb to higher altitudes. I want alarm set points at 10% low & 10% high and that means very different set points for the front tires and for the rear tires because I'm not likely to be watching yet another display often enough for an early warning.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:27 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Tough choice on internal vs external, especially if the internal read absolute pressure. No doubt that the internal are less hassle and at least for temperature more accurate, but the external are easy and you can replace the batteries. With a lot of use getting near 10 years on a set of tires, you would have to pay for an install/mount/balance on a set of tires somewhere along the line, I think, especially on ones that say maybe as little as 3 years battery life.

On the aluminum stems. Are they anodized or hardcoated to stop any possible corrosion?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:24 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I don't know if the valve stems are anodized & can't find any info on them. The part that tightens down has a very loose tolerance IMO and what appears to me to be a plastic ring clipped in there that fits up against the outside of the rim. I'm not talking about the rubber piece.

I think I've talked myself out of using them. They're likely very well engineered etc. but I have to be comfortable using them.

valve stem.JPG

I'd be much happier with the truck version shown on Sysgration's website.

bsi-03t.jpg
Old 05-24-2020, 10:57 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Those look like the stems on my 72 Eldo.
( excepting the sensor!)

slid black heat shrink tubing over the stem- black looks better

That design does well

mike
Old 05-25-2020, 02:17 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
I don't know if the valve stems are anodized & can't find any info on them. ..............
Anodized surface has lower reflectance than freshly machined aluminum. It is also easy to test by conductivity, aluminum oxide is a very good insulator, it is very hard just like rubies or sapphires, both aluminum oxide crystals as well. Light touch with a dull ohmmeter probe should not penetrate through oxide.

For folks interested in rubies and sapphires, both are well engineered into good mechanical watches, rubies inside and sapphire outside.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:27 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Thank you for the help and sharing your knowledge George Much appreciated.

I tested several spots including threaded areas and there's no conductivity at all. I also tested some shiny flat stock aluminum from the hardware store for comparison and did get continuity.

The Blu TPMS internal sensors are installed. After the conductivity test I noticed beveled ends on the piece that tightens down (aka nut) and its mate. The slop would diminish when tightened down. Those two factors allayed my concerns enough to have them installed.

The guy who actually does the tire work at the dealership shared some of my concerns about the light duty appearance but explained that he sees that type of stem often now and he would use them even though like me, he'd prefer something that was more obviously clearly heavy duty.

My Google search yesterday showed similar stems on many internal TPMS offerings. If you want internal sensors your choice appears to be this type of stem or rim bands.

I decided to trust the engineering of this product.

My total cost was approx USD $135 for the sensors and installation and mounting and balancing and a bonus tire rotation. The price of the Blu sensors varies greatly among retailers.

Blu tpms installed 1.png

Blu tpms installed 2.png

The pressures were set at the dealership. Temperature was after a short drive home. The van is back in my garage and I'll adjust the pressure to what I want tomorrow morning.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:09 PM   #9
Platinum Member

The phone app logs date, time, pressure, temperature & battery(?) in CSV format. I noted today's lows and highs:

Code:
         Temp    PSI
Front     79F    66.4
Right    102F    70.0

Front    72F    65.3
Left    104F    70.7

Rear     72F    83.4
Right    99F    88.1

Rear     72F    82.7
 Left    102F    88.8
and used my data with this pressure calculator -> Martin Schmaltz' pressure calculator <- and it confirmed that the increase in pressure caused by increased temperature is what would be expected.

I started the day 2 or 3 psi high because I last set the tire pressure 2 days ago on a much cooler morning. Interesting lesson/reminder to check and set tire pressure often.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:59 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Thought it would be fun to share this screen capture:

Blu TPMS van.png

That was after driving for 1.5 hours total with the last 10 minutes occurring after exiting the highway and stopping for fuel then slower speed roads home. 70 degree day, somewhat cloudy.

It makes me think that I have the tire pressures set so that the load is shared proportionately. The softer psi front doesn't heat up more than the rear.

Tire pressures were set previously when the van was in my garage and all tires were at same temperature.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:25 PM   #11
Silver Member

They looked great but don’t have a 6 piece internal set. I ended up with Tuson. The system works great, it’s already alerted me to a flat on one of my dualies which was just a bad valve stem. I would be a lot happier if there was some flexibility in the display and settings.
Nspekter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:25 PM   #12
Platinum Member

To get 6 sensors with BLU TPMS you could buy a 4-pack and a 2-pack or two 3-packs. Each sensor has a unique code to add to the app.

I might have to get the Bluetooth Repeater for mine as the app sometimes has trouble picking up the signal from the left rear wheel sensor. I've noticed it the last two outings.

---------------------------------

The Tuson TPMS looks robust. Internal & monitoring range up to 203 PSI https://tusonrvbrakes.com/collection...itoring-system

I looked through the Tuson TPMS manual but didn't find how to or if you can change the default 50% high pressure alarm or the 20% low pressure alarm. It would be nice to be able to change those. 20% would allow the rear tires in my van to drop right to or just below the minimum pressure required to support the load. I'd like to get the alarm sooner than that. 50% for high pressure seems really high to me. Maybe it can be adjusted.

Quote:
During Driving Mode, the receiver will monitor for low and high pressure. The low- and high-pressure alarms are structured by the following parameters:
•Warning of excessive high tire pressure indicates tire pressure has been risen to 50% or more of the standard tire pressure value set by the user [P≧ (1.5*standard Pressure value)].
•Warning of excessive low tire pressure indicates that the tire pressure has decreased by 20% or more of the standard tire pressure value set by the user [P≦ (0.8*standard Pressure value)].
Nice to see another internal TPMS option.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:51 PM   #13
Silver Member

If I had figured out that BLU could work for me I might have gone with it. Tuson is supposed to be an OEM supplier that’s starting to sell their system aftermarket. The problem is that there’s no adjustability in the range for psi or temperature. I can’t even remove the display for the repeater battery as it cycles through the screens. I have faith that the wheel sensors are solid but I’m finding the interface lacking.
Nspekter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:57 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Update: Advanced Accessory Concepts ( aacbrands ) sells the BT repeater on ebay for around US $45. I bought one and it does help. The app gets the info from all sensors again. I'm surprised that I needed it for my van but glad that a solution was readily available.

This is the first aftermarket TPMS system that I've had so can't compare it to any other.
Old 06-10-2022, 02:36 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Is it still working? Am currently looking for a 6 (external) sensor system, for a 2017 Sprinter 3500 cab chassis, w/monitor solar/USB powered, and am mostly discouraged looking on Amazon, because the reviews for most are pretty mixed.

btw, glad you're still active on the forum. (yes, it's an old thread, better late than never?)
Old 06-10-2022, 01:59 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Good Luck
many of the amazon sold products appear to be similar with only the brand name sticker changing.

make sure you that if you buy something it has a free return policy- not all do

I have bought a couple of "Favoto" tpms units.
the first for my pick up worked for about 5 years then the battery failed

I have a 2+ year old favoto unit on my chev based RV- it works great...so far.
I think it cost about $36.

the important factor was that it's operating range covered the 80 psi I use in the rear
the temperature display is also handy
it has a charging port which I use when coming out of storage. the solar works well. I usually remember to turn off when parked
I appreciate that it doesn't beep and bleat every time it's turned on or off ( on the other one I removed the beeper)

in practical use, it allows a quick check at start of the day- it will take a few miles before all 4 sensors register and display.

if the 6 tire units are pricey, look at 2 x 4 tire units

mike
Old 06-10-2022, 04:40 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
Good Luck
many of the amazon sold products appear to be similar with only the brand name sticker changing.

make sure you that if you buy something it has a free return policy- not all do

I have bought a couple of "Favoto" tpms units.
the first for my pick up worked for about 5 years then the battery failed

I have a 2+ year old favoto unit on my chev based RV- it works great...so far.
I think it cost about $36.

the important factor was that it's operating range covered the 80 psi I use in the rear
the temperature display is also handy
it has a charging port which I use when coming out of storage. the solar works well. I usually remember to turn off when parked
I appreciate that it doesn't beep and bleat every time it's turned on or off ( on the other one I removed the beeper)

in practical use, it allows a quick check at start of the day- it will take a few miles before all 4 sensors register and display.

if the 6 tire units are pricey, look at 2 x 4 tire units

mike
Thanks for the comments and insight.
The Amazon stuff looks pretty much the same with different badging. Price ranges from $155 and below, up to $500+.
Is there that much better quality and performance in a more expensive unit, is my main question? If yes, I'll go big, if no, why pay more for the same hardware?
How to know, is my problem.
Old 06-10-2022, 05:03 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Is it still working? Am currently looking for a 6 (external) sensor system, for a 2017 Sprinter 3500 cab chassis, w/monitor solar/USB powered, and am mostly discouraged looking on Amazon, because the reviews for most are pretty mixed.

btw, glad you're still active on the forum. (yes, it's an old thread, better late than never?)

Yes it still works. You have to remember to start the app on your phone though (unless you can get the dongle) & I don't always remember to do that. For that reason alone I'd likely choose something else if doing it again. I'd probably still choose internal sensors.

With 6 wheels I'm guessing that your PSI limit is lower than 4 wheel vans so you might have more options.
Old 06-10-2022, 05:24 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Yes it still works. You have to remember to start the app on your phone though (unless you can get the dongle) & I don't always remember to do that. For that reason alone I'd likely choose something else if doing it again. I'd probably still choose internal sensors.

With 6 wheels I'm guessing that your PSI limit is lower than 4 wheel vans so you might have more options.
I wouldn't want to have to rely on my phone to tell me what's going on at the 4 corners. I'd like one of those solar/USB charging monitors, with 6 screw on sensors, and a beeper or flashing light to indicate a problem. KISS works for me.
I have always tended to run a little higher than the manufacturer's recommended inflation pressures. I've never had a problem doing it that way, and I think it helps the fuel economy by decreasing the rolling resistance at the point of contact - pavement. But that's another discussion?
Thanks for the insights.
Old 06-10-2022, 05:40 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
why pay more for the same hardware?
How to know, is my problem.

yes- same conundrum for all of us

if you have prime, shipping is free, get something with easy returns

and send it back if it doesn't work

suggest you try this ( max 87 PSI)

https://www.amazon.com/Tire-Pressure...NsaWNrPXRydWU=