Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Folding Bikes

If you're interested in a folding bike maybe check Walmart.

I picked a a nice folding bike at Walmart (in New Brunswick) yesterday for $50 on clearance. Full price was $189. The brand is "Campus" but they only had one. I got another one branded "Next" from a different Walmart on sale at $75 regular price $149. I think the Campus model is better. It is lighter and larger, better seat etc.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:18 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Folding Bikes

Well, we're still looking for a pair of small (smaller?) 16" folders, and it looks like your 2 were the
last of the great priced deals.
There aren't too many we can find in stores or online except maybe the Citizen Folding Bikes,
but they're online only, as far as we can tell. From Florida, no less.
We've seen some listed at over $1000 and I would be pretty annoyed if paid a lot of money, and
hung them on an outside bike rack, and they were taken. So we're thinking as small as feasible
for storage inside (somewhere).

Does anyone have any experience with any of the other brands and would you recommend any
ones in particular?
Citizen, Bazooka, Dahon, Downtube, etc.?
The size we'd like does limit us a bit, in our choices.
Here's a link to a great "folders" website, if anyone's interested.....
http://www.foldingcyclist.com/index.html
Old 12-20-2010, 01:15 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Well, we're still looking for a pair of small (smaller?) 16" folders, and it looks like your 2 were the
last of the great priced deals.
There aren't too many we can find in stores or online except maybe the Citizen Folding Bikes,
but they're online only, as far as we can tell. From Florida, no less.
We've seen some listed at over $1000 and I would be pretty annoyed if paid a lot of money, and
hung them on an outside bike rack, and they were taken. So we're thinking as small as feasible
for storage inside (somewhere).

Does anyone have any experience with any of the other brands and would you recommend any
ones in particular?
Citizen, Bazooka, Dahon, Downtube, etc.?
The size we'd like does limit us a bit, in our choices.
Here's a link to a great "folders" website, if anyone's interested.....
http://www.foldingcyclist.com/index.html
I bought a Dahon Curve. 16" wheels, aluminum frame, 8 speed internal gear (now 16 as I built a front derailleur for it). Folds to about 24X24X13. it wouldn't fit under the 07 C190P power sofa, but goes easily under our homebuilt permanent bed. It has quick release pedals, so I have a set of clipped pedals and shoes for serious rides, and flat pedals for trips to the store. DW loves to sit and read, so it will be the very good for her to have me disappear for a couple hours at a time. It is actually a pretty serious bike. About 90% of the efficiency of my road bike, quite comfortable, decent handling, accelerates faster than a racing bike because of the tiny wheels. Is standable and sprintable. I would say it easily good enough for a 60+ mile ride at about 13.5mph. I have done 40+ miles with no issues whatever.

I also would not put a bike on the outside. They get filthy, damaged, stolen, etc. If you want a good bike to ride, your scared to bring it along. Inside is the way to go. All my riding stuff fits in a small duffle that sits on top of the folded bike, so it takes no more room.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Had a quick look at the Dahons, and while very nice, I have to admit they're probably
a bit more than we'd want to spend. Thanks for the review though, particularly the
efficiency comment, as that seems to be the biggest issue with the smaller wheels.