Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2020, 09:13 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Folding chairs

I am looking for high quality camping chairs. Selected two potential candidates, one from Forma (Greece) and Trailhead Yeti (USA). Yeti make comfortable Hondo, but it is 16 lbs./ea. so additional 32 lbs. I am not looking for zero gravity style chairs.

https://www.formamarine.com/en/marin...t-Chair-M150NB

https://www.yeti.com/en_US/chairs/tr...air/YTHCC.html

Any other choices?, any experience with above choices?
Attached Images
File Type: png Forma M150NB.png (199.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: png Yeti.png (279.9 KB, 45 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:22 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I am looking for high quality camping chairs. Selected two potential candidates, one from Forma (Greece) and Trailhead Yeti (USA). Yeti make comfortable Hondo, but it is 16 lbs./ea. so additional 32 lbs. I am not looking for zero gravity style chairs.

https://www.formamarine.com/en/marin...t-Chair-M150NB

https://www.yeti.com/en_US/chairs/tr...air/YTHCC.html

Any other choices?, any experience with above choices?

We have been the same drill a couple of times an not found any wonderful solution of light, comfortable and small packing. It seems as soon as you go for rigid arms that everything changes weight and size wise.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:18 PM   #3
Platinum Member

walmart under $10

pack small under the rear seats

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:38 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We have been the same drill a couple of times an not found any wonderful solution of light, comfortable and small packing. It seems as soon as you go for rigid arms that everything changes weight and size wise.
We had a few marine/camping chairs and it is time for us to get something light and comfortable. The market is loaded with A lot of "disposables".
Old 05-18-2020, 05:48 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Terribly expensive, fold with a 2” depth, very strong, very durable, fit flat in a Roadtrek Chevy aisle under the bed or vertical in a class C side compartment. With the 2” fold flat feature total storage volume is at a minimum. Last forever. Steel.

https://airstreamsupplycompany.com/p...ir-by-zip-dee/

You can buy them used all over Ebay for about the same price.

Oh yes, very comfortable for chairs but they are not lounge chairs.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:15 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I've not yet found a solution where the size cost-benefit is overcome by the utility of the chair. We use a couple of $50 "butt bucket" chairs from REI. They serve the purpose but are not all that comfortable.

The "butt bucket" chairs do store with ease, which is the upside. I suspend them under the aluminum shelves which, in turn, I suspended under our upper cabinets.

I'm also very partial to hammocks instead of chairs. My dog not so much, but sometimes she'll get in one with me.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:28 PM   #7
Platinum Member

This is what my wife bought - a GCI Rocker on pistons at REI Coop. I like it but still prefer an upright directors chair that doesn't rock.

https://www.rei.com/product/853186/g...e-rocker-chair
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:37 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Terribly expensive, fold with a 2” depth, very strong, very durable, fit flat in a Roadtrek Chevy aisle under the bed or vertical in a class C side compartment. With the 2” fold flat feature total storage volume is at a minimum. Last forever. Steel.

https://airstreamsupplycompany.com/p...ir-by-zip-dee/

You can buy them used all over Ebay for about the same price.

Oh yes, very comfortable for chairs but they are not lounge chairs.
If anyone buys the Zip Dee chair comment on this thread when you get them. Amazing that the Ebay used price stays so high. Many must not know they are still for sale new. They have been around a long time. I think Airstream trailers were delivered with them. Maybe they still are.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:43 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I've not yet found a solution where the size cost-benefit is overcome by the utility of the chair. We use a couple of $50 "butt bucket" chairs from REI. They serve the purpose but are not all that comfortable.

The "butt bucket" chairs do store with ease, which is the upside. I suspend them under the aluminum shelves which, in turn, I suspended under our upper cabinets.

I'm also very partial to hammocks instead of chairs. My dog not so much, but sometimes she'll get in one with me.

You sure chopped down a lot of trees to get a good view from the hammock
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:49 PM   #10
Platinum Member

This chair is popular in the motorcycle touring world, where space and weight are important. A bit spendy and a little setup required. Do consider the leg extensions.

https://www.kermitchair.com/products/chairs
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:58 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
This chair is popular in the motorcycle touring world, where space and weight are important. A bit spendy and a little setup required. Do consider the leg extensions.

https://www.kermitchair.com/products/chairs
Yep, I have a kermit chair with leg extensions. How old is it? 36 years old the site says. Certainly not high tech but with space at a premium on a motorcycle it works very well. Takes a few minutes to assemble and I have to fumble with it to get the parts to fit back in the bag.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:36 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Thank you all for great information.

My plan is to hang both chairs on the 80/20 rear upper beam. Its bottom slot is for laundry bag and clothes, rear slot is for the windows curtain and the upper one is free so it can be used for hanging chairs. I have about 7-8” depth, 42” high and 44” width space available for 2 chairs. Another option would be to hang chairs on the rear ladder.

Kermit is a very interesting chair; with extended legs it is about $229 in oak. I am not sure if folded Kermits with extended legs attached would fit. https://ridermagazine.com/2007/01/05...-chair-review/

Forma is from Greece and they don’t have local NA inventory, even Amazon ships them from Greece.

Zip-Dee/Airstream is an interesting simple chair, folded to 22”Wx23”Hx2”D is indeed small. Reviews common comments were: expensive, reasonably comfortable but durable.

Hondo Base Camp is heavy 32”Hx26”Wx7-1/8”D is a possible contender. Review emphasized sturdiness and comfort. They are very heavy and very expensive - $600 for a pair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZGR92515.JPG (246.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg yeti.jpg (168.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 05-18-2020, 10:28 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yep, I have a kermit chair with leg extensions. How old is it? 36 years old the site says. Certainly not high tech but with space at a premium on a motorcycle it works very well. Takes a few minutes to assemble and I have to fumble with it to get the parts to fit back in the bag.
We have a couple similar to these for the RT, I carry one on the bike when travelling. Very light, sets up and breaks down quickly and is more comfortable than it looks. Alas, no arms.

https://smile.amazon.com/Sunyear-Lig...5&sr=8-55&th=1

Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:00 PM   #14
Platinum Member

We have a couple of GCI Pico chairs that we got shortly after we got the van. They fold up very small, like laptop size, which is the smallest we could find at the time. We store two of them in the bolster under what was the the third seat in our Chevy Roadtrek Popular. We used them until we replaced the space wasting power sofa and added the third seat amoire. Pretty comfortable but not as comfortable as our old route 66 canvas fabric bag chairs which are the best we have ever seen. With the extra space now we usually use the bag chairs and save the Picos for visitors.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:50 PM   #15
Platinum Member

We have a couple of the Yeti Base Camp chairs. They are very comfortable, kind of heavy and nearly impossible to find a place for in the van. We also have two padded, upholstered folding chairs purchased from Walmart several years ago. They're not as comfortable as the Yetis, but are lighter and easier to store. They fit nicely in the gap between the Sprinter's rear doors and the couch back. So, if we were looking at the two choices you are, we'd go with the folding deck chairs. Also, I like those Zip Dee chairs!
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
We have a couple similar to these for the RT, I carry one on the bike when travelling. Very light, sets up and breaks down quickly and is more comfortable than it looks. Alas, no arms.

https://smile.amazon.com/Sunyear-Lig...5&sr=8-55&th=1

I bought 6 different ones. Most are way too short to get out of it. Some are flimsy. I ended up with one that looks just like that but taller and heavy-duty for double the dollars.
skunberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:56 PM   #17
Bronze Member

We use the Trekology Yizi Go camping chair. We have the adjustable version that allows for a higher seat height than a lot of other camp chairs. It is lightweight and folds up into a compact size. So far the chair seems durable and is comfortable.
Jim86301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:06 PM   #18
Gold Member

Quote:
Have two Kermit chairs left over from my motorcycle touring days. Very comfortable and pack small. When setting up insert the curved cross members first and then the braces. Reverse when taking apart. To pack away roll the two sides up like a scroll and pack, and then slide the braces in.
JohnnyCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:14 PM   #19

We've had good luck with MacCabee chairs that we got from Costco. I can't find them under that name anymore, but they look like these (price is for two):

https://www.costco.com/timber-ridge-...100481959.html

I'm no light weight and these are comfortable and sturdy. And forget any type of "butt bucket" chair. They have to be the most uncomfortable chair I've ever tried. Now, if you're 22 years old, maybe.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:18 PM   #20
Platinum Member

We really like the Alps chairs. Bought a couple over 10 years ago and they have stood up well. Light to carry and very comfortable sling style (more like the Yeti but much cheaper. Just bought another on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AZOXDCS..._kNRYEbTYX48GW
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote