Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2020, 06:37 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Question Hitch Cargo Carrier

Hi there,

just wondering if anyone has recommendation for a small hitch-based cargo carrier. There are tons of different models / prices and I have no personal experience with them. (Pleasure Way on Ford E350).

My requirements:
  • Safety first. Goes without saying. Not skimping on that.
  • Can load up to 200 pounds.
  • Does not need a weather-proof box. It'll be some crate / cooler / waterproof bag depending on where we are going. I prefer flexibility over dedicated box.
  • Would be nice if it could fold up when empty. Not essential.
  • Would be great if it could pivot away when I need access to the door.

Thanks!
OSCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:19 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSCA View Post
Hi there,

just wondering if anyone has recommendation for a small hitch-based cargo carrier. There are tons of different models / prices and I have no personal experience with them. (Pleasure Way on Ford E350).

My requirements:
  • Does not need a weather-proof box. It'll be some crate / cooler / waterproof bag depending on where we are going. I prefer flexibility over dedicated box.

Thanks!
It appears that you are not looking for what you stated in the first sentence above "small hitch-based cargo carrier" rather

You have a need for a hitch/platform on which you can create " some crate / cooler / waterproof bag depending on where we are going." There are not so many of those that "Would be great if it could pivot away when I need access to the door."

I use the StowAways II SWINGAWAY HITCH FRAME:

https://www.stowaway2.com/swingaway-hitch-frame

I created a platform and placed a 35mph, 65 pound electric bike on it. I could easily remove the bike and place something else, most anything. I have a spare tire on the back door with the bike handle bar extending maybe 12 -15 inches beyond the tire, not much.

If I had it do over, Same Thing. I'm guessing that when the LOUD ONAN gives up I'll place a quiet generator on the the thing too, maybe quiet it even more - or a new B.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:08 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Great info, thank you!
Old 02-25-2020, 01:39 PM   #4
Platinum Member

There are many threads on this topic. Depending on what you need to accomplish, I recommend that you consider building or commissioning your own.

We designed and built our own as an increasingly-modular solution. Blog post instructions here in case you want to compare to your own needs.

Pic showing a couple of features of ours - cooler and gas can carrier, but we also have attachments for other cargo:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:43 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Thanks, that looks like a great solution. A little too much engineering for me but it is certainly inspiring!
Old 02-26-2020, 12:38 AM   #6
Platinum Member

We bought this one for when we need extra luggage space and are not pulling the trailer. It is not the highest quality, but it gets the job done. My only real complaint about it is that it fits pretty loosely in the receiver, and the slop means it slopes away from the van a bit (which you can see in the second picture below). It has a quick release pin that lets you pivot the whole thing down to open the rear doors. Depending on how much weight you have on it, it can take a little oomph to get it back upright again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190326_174354.jpg (308.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 20190326_174446.jpg (420.1 KB, 72 views)
Old 02-26-2020, 11:16 AM   #7
Bronze Member

Thanks! That’s about the configuration I had in mind... I need to measure it and make sure it’s not bottoming out when I go through an incline for example....
Old 03-01-2020, 04:20 PM   #8
Gold Member

Hello, I have a inexpensive tail gate ramp or platform, and I am looking to buy a new one. I would say you consider having your received either add the bracket to keep the ramp stable when driving. I once had a trailer yard drill a hole and add a nut so I could put a bolt in to hold the ramp which worked well. I am getting a folding version and then adding a small ramp up for my vehicle to help when backing up in small spaces. I also saw a soft bag storage that fits for keeping things dry. All my opinions on using this item. Amazon is not always the cheapest place but gives good ideas. Oh and always check weight capacity.
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:23 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Default Hitch rack

Check this out from Harbor Freight, might work for you as it does for me on the back of my towed trailer......

https://www.harborfreight.com/300-lb...ier-69858.html
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:33 PM   #10

I decided to stop using my propane generator (about $80 per fill every 2 days) and bought a gasoline 8,000 kw to mount on cargo carrier. I could not find one that I liked, so I ask my nephew to build me one using 2" x 2" angle iron. It wasn't expensive, works great and is tough. If you can sketch out what you want your local welder can build one for a very reasonable price.
maxb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:52 PM   #11
Gold Member

I have no regrets buying a Stowaway max cargo carrier. Well made, carries a lot of stuff that would normally be cluttering the RT and it’s easy to put on.
Thevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:09 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSCA View Post
Hi there,

My requirements:

Thanks!
Have gone across country every year (Texas to Maine and back) with my Hitch Haul..holds 500 lbs, I can step up on it, etc., etc....mine was $50, but price is up a bit from that...still a bargain!! Have carried tool box, motor scooter, golf clubs, and more...
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:54 PM   #13

Default Electric Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post

I created a platform and placed a 35mph, 65 pound electric bike on it. I could easily remove the bike and place something else, most anything.

Bud
Please share what electric bike you use and if you recommend or something else after owning it a while. Are there other ways of carrying an electric bike? Regular bike carrier or roll up hitch carrier?

Thanks!
dl777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:50 PM   #14

Does the stowaway 2 allow you to open passenger back door on a sprinter We like to open the door to allow air flow but can’t figure out how far swing away allows for the open door
2blacklabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:40 PM   #15
Bronze Member

I would recommend a Harbor Freight unit:

https://www.harborfreight.com/750-lb...ier-62660.html

In addition to carrying fig trees, it folds up and has a 750lb capacity!
Old 03-01-2020, 10:35 PM   #16
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl777 View Post
Please share what electric bike you use and if you recommend or something else after owning it a while. Are there other ways of carrying an electric bike? Regular bike carrier or roll up hitch carrier?

Thanks!
It is like this, but thinking the name was changed slightly. Be Sure to Click Ludicrous 2500:

https://lunacycle.com/luna-wolf-alit...electric-bike/

I would suggest based on Application, just like a B.

I would buy it again, yes. I don't know of a better value, but that is kind of specific based on I'm not jumping off something 5 feet, or 4, etc. And why spend that much if riding on flat ground, no problem going 20mph with 1/3 the hp or less. Power is overcoming gravity, inertia, and speed.

I wanted to open the back doors, so the solution I posted. There are other ways of carrying an electric bike. Mostly just a weight difference. Although I wanted to open the back doors, I still looked at those that would carry 65 pounds. At that time there were few, and I have not kept up. If the carrier is rated for say 65 or whatever pounds, don't trust it, be sure. A 24' B won't work......................

Please let us know your application, what you plan to do with an electric bike. Maybe someone can assist.
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:26 AM   #17
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe

I have a 2 bike rack on my rear spare tire mount. I use my hitch to pull a small clam shell motorcycle type trailer. All our suitcases and many other things fit inside. We stay in Florida over winter in our Class B. We are thinking about getting a 5X8 inclosed utility trailer. Bikes inside of that and more room. Camper is a 1995 Xplorer on Dodge 3500.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:00 AM   #18

Default Hitch carrier

You might look into the following: https://wmastore.com/product/swingaw...rrier-amcc5020
I'm thinking about it myself.
WilmaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:29 AM   #19

Default Basket or Box?

We went on EBay and ordered a basket, steel type with a zip up bag. Then saw a Thule locking cargo box, bought it!
Done deal.
Darrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:17 PM   #20

I have a 97 Pleasureway and use the stoway II with a swing arm. With this I can swing the storage pod away from the van and access the rear door. Wife made water proof cover. We store fishing gear chairs and a popup in the pod and it is water tight.
Don Kohler is offline   Reply With Quote