Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Re: Hydraulic levelers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ ADVenturist
Booster; I was hoping you would chime in here. I read about your 'fridge conversion - I LIKE it!
I've been looking at the portable compressor refers' (Engle is one). The RV people I have talked to here in AZ don't seem to know about it. And I know that I have been misinformed about operation of our propane systems. I would like to have a better arrangement for our planned Yukon/SE Alaska trip this summer... So, what is your or anyone else research/experience with the portable compressor refers'?? This could be a whole 'nuther thread on this forum - maybe.
Thanks, Ric.
I don't know much about the portables, but I assume they would be similar to the "chest" style marine frigs. Chest styles tend to be more efficient than the door type, so the portables may be also. All the good ones seem to use the Danfoss compressors, which give very efficient cooling, but ours is still in the 25AH/day in moderate weather, so you need more battery than with the 3 way. From all I hear, Engle is a very good brand.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Review the forums for overland travel. The fridge/freezers they use take a serious beating, and work great for many, many years. They typically choose the ARB, Engle, National Luna, Waeco, Dometic or Edgestar. You want one that uses the Danfoss compressor. The Expedition Portal is the best overland forum on the planet (at least in english). You may need to register and log in to see some of these links.
Warning: Being a member on the Expedition Portal can be addicting!!

Here is a link to the Expedition Portal (ExPo):
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/index.php

http://www.expeditionportal.com/

Here is a link to some threads about fridge/freezers:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... ght=fridge

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... ght=fridge
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Booster, Brian; Both helpful as usual - thanks for the input on comp. refers.
Brian wrote: "Warning: Being a member on the Expedition Portal can be addicting!!"
So True!!
I'm on Expedition Portal : "AZ ADVenturist" as well. That is how I got turned on to this B Forum by Brian - thanks again. I do have to limit my time - Too Much of a Good thing there...
BTW: they are based in Prescott, my back yard. I've met Scott Brady & the guys at 'Adventure Trailers' - GR8t People!
I'll be shopping the compressor 'fridge brands you mentioned. Gotta be better than ICE chest!
Still waiting to see what the final bill is going to be for the Lift on our RoadTrek - $$$! It's only money... Ric.
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #24
Platinum Member

I don't know about you all, but my tolerance for sleeping is a lot more stringent that what the 3-way refrigerator needs for level.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
I don't know about you all, but my tolerance for sleeping is a lot more stringent that what the 3-way refrigerator needs for level.
I was thinking the same thing. If the van isn't level enough for the fridge, I can't sleep in it. But parking at a trail head does not need to be level (not sleeping), so it would be a pain to level up, just for the fridge requirements.
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
I was thinking the same thing. If the van isn't level enough for the fridge, I can't sleep in it. But parking at a trail head does not need to be level (not sleeping), so it would be a pain to level up, just for the fridge requirements.
I'm not sure where you go but I have been all over and I have never had to level up outside of a campground in over 6 years of Class B RVing. I have always found an acceptably level parking spot. Admittedly, I am not set up for or desire to go off road as I will stay on maintained roads and parking areas but I have been in some pretty good wilderness in the Rocky Mountains BLM and national forest lands, and the Superior National Forest in Minnesota. When parking when not camping I find it even easier because you can bridge low spots are adjust back and forth on arch spots to level on ground that would be otherwise unacceptable to set up for camping. Rarely will you find public parks that have created parking lots to be unacceptably out of level. I've consulted with the Minnesota DNR in park design and they are cognizant of camper and hunter needs. I would guess almost all agencies have design criteria for improved trailheads. If you park in a retail parking lot like Walmart they have criteria that meets refrigerator leveling criteria simply because they need to to keep shopping carts from careening out of control. Yeah, there are exceptions. It is mostly common sense, but given the percentage of time or chances one might ever encounter an impossible situation, I am convinced hydraulic levelers will never have the range to adjust anyway.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote