Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2022, 10:40 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default ISO Cargo basket

Hi

I’m looking for the right hitch based cargo basket for my ‘12 RT 190.

This one below tilts back, folds and has a 2” rise shank. I will not be able to fold it without an extension.

Lookee here:
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo...ler/e29UR.html

I do realize I will need to take it off to open the rear doors unless I get a swing away adapter ($$$). Might just end up with a swing away because we need to transport bikes occasionally.

How’s the departure angle on your basket? Do you scrape coming out of your driveway or gas station?

Thank you
MagicBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:05 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default It Can Hit

I have a Stowaway2 cargo basket on my 2004 Sprinter. If I don't pivot correctly as I back out of my driveway, the bolt ends on the anti-rattle bracket will scrape pavement. It's happened a couple of times and now I'm careful to avoid it. It's never occurred anywhere else.

BTW, I'm very happy with the cargo carrier. It is very well built. I keep it on the van most of the time and have added a lit license plate holder. With much loaded on the carrier, the original plate position is blocked from view. This replaced a cheap HF carrier that did the job but looked homely.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:27 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The stowaway 2 swing arm is a good option for non cyclists.
As a cyclist I think I would rather get a separate swing arm like this:
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adapt...at/PVP20B.html
That way you can get a good bike rack like a 1up or Thule.

I am thinking of just getting a basic hitch basket for now since we don’t know how long we will keep the van.

It’s the old story: my wife would rather stay in hotels.
“Darling I love you but give me Park Avenue!”
2014 Camry hybrid-soulless transport appliance
Old 05-27-2022, 05:07 PM   #4
Platinum Member

So specifically, does any RT Chevy owner run just a cargo basket without a swing away? Any extensions? And without trying to get too personal, what’s your shank rise?

My calculation with the etrailer basket mentioned above is I would have approximately 1” clearance to open right rear door and clear basket in carrying position (empty).
But I will likely have to remove the basket at every campsite.

I realize a swing away hitch is the proper solution, trying not to invest that much right now. $550 stowaway basket v. $250 basket.
Old 06-02-2022, 12:56 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Default DIY rack

Here’s what I’ve come up with:

I bought a large 60x24 Curtis cargo basket off craigslist, I added my roof rack bike attachment to it. The Kuat Trio bike mount allows you to carry a modern pass-through axle fork.
Note: you can buy separate fork and wheel mounts that could be cheaper.
I’ve used an elevated double mount hitch so it’s nice and high and far enough back so my barn doors open.
We will see how this set up works.
I may end up with a swing away hitch if I decide the basket hangs out too far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EA44A25F-7289-47FB-95DA-31DDAA08F449.jpg (486.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 06-02-2022, 12:30 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBox View Post
Here’s what I’ve come up with:

I bought a large 60x24 Curtis cargo basket off craigslist, I added my roof rack bike attachment to it. The Kuat Trio bike mount allows you to carry a modern pass-through axle fork.
Note: you can buy separate fork and wheel mounts that could be cheaper.
I’ve used an elevated double mount hitch so it’s nice and high and far enough back so my barn doors open.
We will see how this set up works.
I may end up with a swing away hitch if I decide the basket hangs out too far.
Just an unrelated side comment ... is the basket wired for rear lights?
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 12:38 PM   #7
Platinum Member

A few weeks ago I drove by a 5th wheel stopped beside the road with one of those cargo carriers bent down and dragging the ground because they'd put a generator in it. Remember that a cantilevered load like that can be 2x or more the same load that is put directly on the hitch ball. Torque = force x distance.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 12:53 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Sensfan, The basket just has reflectors on it. I plan to add more reflective tape.
The express van has elevated tail lights which are still visible with the basket on and loaded.

Pumpkinhead, I am trying to be cognizant of the cantilevered weight and strength decrease as it gets further from the hitch. The rack and the bike add up to about 100 pounds so far. The basket is by Curt, a known hitch manufacturer. The market is flooded with these baskets and i imagine differences in quality.
Other options would be a shorter shank requiring the basket to be removed to open the rear doors.
Or add a swing away hitch.
Old 06-02-2022, 03:17 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkinhead View Post
A few weeks ago I drove by a 5th wheel stopped beside the road with one of those cargo carriers bent down and dragging the ground because they'd put a generator in it. Remember that a cantilevered load like that can be 2x or more the same load that is put directly on the hitch ball. Torque = force x distance.
Agreed. The back side of our Stowaway Box, positioned behind the Continental Tire Kit on our 2012 RT 190 Ranger, adds three feet of distance from the back of the van. The advertised weight limit of the box is 300 pounds. To respect the cantilever effect you refer to, we lowered the limit to 100 pounds.
Last year was our first year travelling with the Stowaway and we did not notice any negative change in regard to van handling or performance. In fact, I believe that the box may actually displace the air turbulence vortices further behind/away from the rear of the van and improve handling.
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:29 PM   #10
Platinum Member

My set up will no doubt produce nothing but “dirty air” compared to your spoiler-like cargo box Sensfan.

I’m definitely going to test it (with/without bikes) locally before we hit the road the summer. I might end up leaving the bikes at home.
Old 06-02-2022, 06:56 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Magic: Do you have a side shot of your RV with the basket on? I'd be interested in knowing if the top edge of the van is at the rear bumper level (and if you had no bike on you could open your rear doors) or if it sits above the bumper and blocks the doors from opening.

thx
glenn
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:48 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Default Basket case

Gallen:

Bumper to basket 26 inches
Basket to shank pin 19 inches
Basket to pin with extension hitch 32 inches
Folded basket has 6 inches of clearance
Extension hitch is 11 3/4 pin to pin
Spare tire holder comes out 17 inches
Doors clear basket by 2 1/2 inches

Again I could remove extension and basket will clear spare tire but doors would not open.
The basket is 70 pounds and a little unwieldy for one person.
The double hitch riser has a 6 1/4 inch rise A 4” or even a 2” rise would be sufficient. I like the basket at this height, it makes it easier to load.
I would recommend ordering the basket from a place like Home Depot, that way if it doesn’t work you can return it to a local store without having to pay shipping.

Here’s the one I got:
https://www.curtmfg.com/part/18153
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91EEA1C6-52C2-46A9-9E2B-31AF14B20D3B.jpg (421.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 089FF24D-CBBC-4B5A-B6DF-C7BCDE5FEB59.jpg (352.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 446A7DCB-FED1-441C-8E16-95D7C5023FDA.jpg (376.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 06-02-2022, 09:54 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Gallen:

Bumper to basket 26 inches
Basket to shank pin 19 inches
Basket with extension hitch 32 inches
Folded basket has 6 inches of clearance
Extension hitch is 11 3/4 pin to pin
Spare tire holder comes out 17 inches
Doors clear basket by 2 1/2 inches

Again I could remove extension and basket with clear spare tire but doors would not open.
The basket is 70 pounds and a little unwilledly for one person.
The double hitch riser has a 6 1/4 inch rise A 4” or even a 2” rise would be sufficient. I like the basket at this height, it makes it easier to load.

Have you ever ridden behind the van when the carrier is loaded with 100# and going over dips and bumps to see how bad it bounces and/or twists?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 10:17 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Default Bounce

Booster

I have not checked the bounce yet.
This might be all for naught.

The bike rack I had, didn’t take long to install and I paid $100 for the basket used. I don’t have much time or money into this experiment.

If it turns out to be a bouncy house then I’ll probably bite the bullet and get a swing away hitch.
Old 06-02-2022, 10:29 PM   #15
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Booster

I have not checked the bounce yet.
This might be all for naught.

The bike rack I had, didn’t take long to install and I paid $100 for the basket used. I don’t have much time or money into this experiment.

If it turns out to be a bouncy house then I’ll probably bite the bullet and get a swing away hitch.
I have a 65 pound ebike. Most folks can't or do not want to pick one up that heavy onto a bike rack.

The stowaway II hitch frame was ideal. It holds 250 pounds. The usual box one can purchase holds 200 pounds as the box is heavy. I simply used some 2X4's and plywood I had for a platform. The handlebar is over the spare tire on my 05/04 Roadtrek 190P very near the passenger side door The platform is very near the back bumper. The other handle bar is not past the platform, 24 inches. I just place one tire on the platform then the other. Works very well, still have not seen anything I would replace it with.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 10:31 PM   #16
Bud
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Bud;139935]I have a 65 pound ebike. Most folks can't or do not want to pick one up that heavy onto a bike rack.

The stowaway II hitch frame was ideal. It holds 250 pounds. The usual box one can purchase holds 200 pounds as the box is heavy. I simply used some 2X4's and plywood I had for a platform. The handlebar is over the spare tire on my 05/04 Roadtrek 190P very near the passenger side door The platform is very near the back bumper. The other handle bar is not past the platform, 24 inches. I just place one tire on the platform then the other. Works very well, still have not seen anything I would replace it with.

passenger side 'rear' door
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 06:41 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Default Update

Ok, I need to make a correction:

I misspoke when I said the doors wouldn’t open if the basket were closer to the bumper.

I removed the hitch extender/raiser. That brought the basket closer but also lower. The new lower height allows the right door to open. If I keep my load low on the right side then the door will still open, clearing the basket by an inch and 3/4. Hitch pin to basket is now 19 inches.

The rack is now three and three-quarter inches from the spare tire holder. With a swing hitch and a smaller basket I could of course get closer to the bumper, but I need this size basket (60x24).

The extender/riser was added while I was still trying to figure out what basket to get. But as you saw on my previous post, it’s stuck out too far. I have repositioned the bike rack to the rear of basket to clear the spare tire. Were the bike to face the opposite direction the handlebar (modern type 770+ mm wide) would interfere with the door.

I took it to a mountain bike park today, about 40 minutes total driving. The rack seemed to do okay I’m gonna have my wife drive the van while I’m in the back looking through the back glass to observe the movement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A317C459-DD9A-4EF7-9E24-DE07F8632244.jpg (503.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 64000A5C-7FEC-492C-AC9B-80FDB68ED488.jpg (357.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 8F0D9A0B-48CC-429F-9CFA-5ABFF832FC3A.jpg (487.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-18-2022, 03:47 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Default Mountain getaway

Ok

This is my set up for our next trip: camping on the Blue Ridge Parkway and a mountain bike park near Asheville, NC.

Bike, weight bench, q grill and chairs in the cargo basket.
My trusty Trasharoo (spare tire backpack) carries outside shower stall, water hoses, tarps, and miscellaneous.

Total estimated tongue weight including cargo basket: less than 175 lbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EC0D7EFF-858D-4FC9-BCD4-F34EA84D4F46.jpg (508.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-18-2022, 04:25 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Depending on what else you carry, weight is always an issue with many Bs even with a 190 Roadtrek, primarily in the rear.

With a long extension like that, the weight the hitch sees is more than than the weight of the parts and the weight the rear axle sees is even more than that due to leverage. It would be advisable, I think, to load up with all the weight you would travel with including people water, waste tank contents, fuel max, and stuff then go to the scales and see where you are sitting for weight on the individual axles. You probably will see the front weight reduces and rear weight increased. If you get the rear up to the 6080# axle limit it is likely one of the tires in the rear is over rated load because the side to side weight is different by 2-300# in Chevy Roadtreks. Weight off the back that far may cause the front to porpoise some depending on the shocks and springs you are running. Some drivers will notice things like this, and some probably won't as different folks had more or less sensitivity to handling issues.

We really like the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Skyline Drive, and Smoky Mountain parkway.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 05:32 PM   #20
Platinum Member

That darn spare. It would fit in the rear cargo area under the bed but that would take up a lot of storage space in there. And I wouldn’t have anything to put the Trasharoo on, costing me even more room.

If it wasn’t for the propane tank the spare would fit underneath, behind the rear bumper like normal. Would love to remove the spare tire holder and throw it in the dumpster.
I’ll report back on any issues. We will be doing a total of about 10 hours.