Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2021, 12:20 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default more troubles with Fan-tastic Fan leakage

I know this issue has been covered before but wondering if someone could help with this: I recently unscrewed the attachment screws on the roof portion of the fan hatch in order to inject some RV caulk and hopefully stop leakage. When I tried to put the screws back it appeared whatever material was inside the screw holes had fallen apart so the screws no longer tighten fully (I didn't pull the hatch frame off, just removed the screws). You can screw them in, but they just keep turning --- no real tighten. Some of them you can now just pull out. I'm wondering if I can just get thicker or longer screws, or is there something I can inject in there to keep them tight? Unit is now leaking even worse than it was before! Thanks.
alwechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:39 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwechs View Post
I know this issue has been covered before but wondering if someone could help with this: I recently unscrewed the attachment screws on the roof portion of the fan hatch in order to inject some RV caulk and hopefully stop leakage. When I tried to put the screws back it appeared whatever material was inside the screw holes had fallen apart so the screws no longer tighten fully (I didn't pull the hatch frame off, just removed the screws). You can screw them in, but they just keep turning --- no real tighten. Some of them you can now just pull out. I'm wondering if I can just get thicker or longer screws, or is there something I can inject in there to keep them tight? Unit is now leaking even worse than it was before! Thanks.

The stripped screws are probably the reason for the leaks in the first place as caulking isn't strong enough to hold screws. If you have enough space, larger screws can be used but check the hole in the fan itself to see if it is bigger than the new screws so they don't try to lift it up as you screw them in.

When done, if they come up tight, pour self leveling sealer like Dicor over he fan flange on a bit onto the roof, including the screw heads. You can also use the self sealing tapes in place of the Dicor.

In general, the best way to get the fan to seal would be to remove the cover completely and clean off the old sealer, which because of stripped screws probably is too thick and unlevel. You could them fix the stipped holes or move the screws by drilling new one in the cover and roof and sealing up the old holes. This, though, might be a job for the RV shop.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:20 PM   #3
Platinum Member

If you have an access below the roof, you could use screws with nuts. See my installation.

If your screws are inserted into a wood frame an inexpensive old fashion fix is to insert as many matches as you can and cut them flush so they don’t protrude. Then us the same screw.

I second previous recommendation that the best route is to remount the vent correctly.

EternaBond RV Mobile Home Roof Seal Sealant Tape is another option.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10-ZGR91025.jpg (424.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg ZGR91026.jpg (661.6 KB, 15 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 05:19 PM   #4

Just went through this issue with my 2006 rs adventurous. The wood frame was rotten. I needed to use epoxy and attach a new wood frame under the roof to which the fan could be screwed to. Big job but it’s all good now. The previous owner had never maintained the roof sealant. Remove the whole fan (not hard) and inspect. You may be surprised by what you see. Do it right for the long term.
orthodont1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:04 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I also suggest removing the fan, because you won't know the real problem until you do.

My RV had several water leaks when I bought it, I paid someone to scrape all the Dicor and apply new and it still leaked. Turns out the vent in the bathroom had been removed, reinstalled with silicone and covered with Dicor by a previous owner, 3 of the corners had cracks and sealing the cracks didn't fix the leak. Although silicone stuck to the paint, it didn't stick to plastic. I ended up replacing the vent, it was relatively easy and doesn't leak, the worst part was removing the silicone.

I see youtube videos of people using various items to reseal vents, I suggest using the recommended butyl tape and Dicor. I removed the Fantastic Vent too, water had gotten under the butyl tape probably from the old, cracked Dicor, I believe replacing the butyl tape and Dicor would have solved that leak, however I used the opportunity to upgrade the fan.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:10 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Some time this crack wicking sealant can be magical, even permanent fix.
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (126.5 KB, 4 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote