Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2020, 08:52 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Repairing a Remis Front Shade

I have the Remis shade for the front window of my Promaster. Winnebago ships this same shade with their late-model Travatos. Last weekend when I raised it one of the tension strings snapped and it fell apart. Here are a few things I learned in the process of repairing it that may help others:
  • How it Fits Together

You can remove the shade by unscrewing the two screws in the plastic bottom piece that fit against the A pillar on both sides (4 screws total). When you pull it up to slide it out of the van you will find two wires attached that trigger the shade alarm. Mine were unattached because it was an aftermarket installation, but if yours are attached you will need to figure out how to disconnect them.

The tension strings literally hold the assembly together. If either one breaks then the shade will fall off its track, the side plastic sliders will fall off, and the top bar will come loose. It is like a jigsaw puzzle to get it all back together. Here is what you need to know: The strings are separate and there are two of them. Each one starts at the top of the side bar, runs down and through a plastic slider piece that fits in the end of the top bar, runs across the bar to a the half-round guide on the OTHER side of the shade, and then down the window-side of the shade passing through the clear plastic tabs all the way down. When it gets to the bottom of the shade it passes through a small hole in the metal bottom. Turn the shade over (van side) and in the inner part of the curved metal bottom you can see the hole it threads through. Once through that hole it MUST go through a small tensioning spring, and then through a hex-adjustable stopper. The other side is a separate string run in the same way. If only one side breaks DO NOT mess with the unbroken side, it will save you time later on.

• How to Restring

I purchased a replacement blind string on Amazon. The one I bought was 1.8mm and was larger than the original (hopefully stronger too! I think the original was probably 1.4mm), but still small enough to fit though all the holes. I used a lighter to harden about 1" of the end and pinched the tip while it was hot to make it needle-shaped. This gave me a stiff section with a narrow tip to push through all the small plastic holes while re-stringing. I used the old broken piece to estimate the length and added about 4" additional so that I could have extra slack at the top and bottom of the string. This way if it breaks in the future I have a good chance of being able to use the extra slack to re-use the same string. As a precaution I went ahead and cut and prepped two more strings to keep in the camper for future repairs.

• How to Adjust Tension Correctly

Once you have restrung the blind it will continue to fall apart until the tension is adjusted properly. To do this place it on the ground with the blind fully shut and pull the strings tight. Next, slide the hex-stopper down until the tensioning spring is almost (but not quite) fully compressed. Tighten the hex stopper in this position and duplicate it on the other side (if needed). Replace the blind in the window and try it out before re-screwing it in place. You will know you got the tension correct when it stays in place however far you pull it up and slides along the center of the two tracks without coming out.
jakegw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:25 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Hi Jakegw2,
What year is your RAM Promaster that you have the REMIS blind. I haven't gotten ahold of REMIS yet but wondering if the WINNEBAGO part number 3260540101A. One can also order (through dealers), the front windshield only, or the left driver or right passenger items separately. What I am interested is whether the front windshield assembly that fits into a 2022, also fits without issue, or unsurmountable issue in a 2018.

What I think.... is that the only change in the latest RAM Promaster is the anti-collision electronics above the rear view mirror, and the mirror itself are different. But--- I don't think the shape of the windshield glass, the interior plastic cap across the top of the windshield and the non-electronics area of my 2018 chassis vs where the electronics are located, matters to the top of the REMIS blind. And just from visual memory, I think the vertical A Piller plastic cap-shapes are still the same shape and likely RAM part numbers identical.

I will attempt to get a call into REMIS tomorrow. I should also be able to verify RAM part numbers for the A Piller caps are, ideally, identical. This will help me decide if I want to fork out the better part of $400 to order the REMIS kit from a WB dealer, and then find its an issue.

I have seem the video that James/FIT RV did for this kit he installed into his former 2014 Travato. This implies I can move forward with a REMIS order but still want to tighten up whether the fit runs into an obstacle for my 2018 that can be dealt with, or not.

Anyone else retrofit a "REMIS EAKIT-BLINDS,PROMASTER" into a 2018? Or some other year that will build a case for me to go/no go on a purchase?

storysrvwego

2018 RAM Promaster, hosting a 2018 WINNEBAGO Travato 59K.
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:47 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I have a 2017 model, and know of no differences between it and the 2018.

You should be able to go to WinnebagoParts.com and purchase it as it was standard equipment on the Travato for several years. They are a bit pricy but have never failed to have what I am looking for in stock and ready for immediate shipment.

Looking up parts for a Winnebago usually involves going to the WB website, looking for the parts diagrams for a given model and year, then looking through the drawings to find the exact part number. Once you have that you can either call or use the website for winnebagoparts to order it.

Winnebago parts catalog: https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Travato curtains and shades: https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/2019/322057.htm

I'm reasonably certain it is this Part # 326054-01-CHT (no promises however!)

You could also order it through a Winnebago dealer.

If the side pillars and dash haven't changed then you should be fine. The top metal flap can be set in multiple positions and will should accommodate a larger mirror assembly. Even if it doesn't a few minutes with a metal saw and file will get you where you need to be.
Old 05-26-2022, 06:20 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I tackled this last night by looking up RAM/Mopar part numbers for the A Pillers, Visors, Headliner, Dashboard top, etc., comparing the PN's for three Promaster years: 2018, 2020 and 2022. The Mopar part numbers are 100% exactly the same. There are additional PN variants that I believe apply to new colors but since the same PN's were listed for each of these three years, the REMIS kit will work fine. Given what James/FITRV posted for his former 2015 (I think) PM he and his wife dubbed "Lance", there are some slight differences in the A Pillers but he still made the 3260540101A fit quite nicely. It therefore seems that RAM has not changed the metal PM frame at all, and only a minor change in the A Piller molding at or about 2016 although I didn't do the Mopar parts research previous to 2018. But given what is known, from FITRV, the difference does not prevent this windshield blind unit from a good installation. It is interesting to note that James/FITRV indicates in his video that the REMIS blind (shade) of this type are "built on like a 2018 Promaster". I think James misspoke, sort of on the year, except its inconsequential if the REMIS began life on a PM for the 2019 year or 2018 or earlier. It fits 2018 for sure, probably 2017 and all the way back to 2014 since James did it on a 2015 (I think) Promaster with I believe, a 2016 59G build out by WINNEBAGO. Phew. Gets a little murky trying to keep the year of the RAM and the year of the Travato build which can be different!

As for the latest ProMaster produced by RAM, the wider rearview mirror w/rear camera view feature and the electronics module for adaptive cruise control/collision/other functions that sits between the mirror and windshield - None of this interferes with the up/down slide, and upper hinged flap of the REMIS windshield blind at all.

I am going to go ahead with an order for the WB pn 3260540101A kit and in a couple of weeks, post the results of the installation with a picture or two.

Gene . StorysRVwego
Old 05-26-2022, 06:37 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I really don't understand why James moved away from the Remis shades, we absolutely love it. Nothing to store, can be put up in literally less than 5 seconds at any time you want it, very good light blocking - what's not to like?

We use it all the time when we park at a store or restaurant to keep out prying eyes. With it up and the other blinds closed the RV is dark enough that you can't really see anything other than the front seating area from outside. A nice bit of added security and takes only seconds to deploy.
Old 05-26-2022, 07:31 PM   #6
Platinum Member

jakegw2,
I don't think James moved away from this blind. He just changed after many years, from a Travato 59G, to an Ekko. He and his wife moved to to this slightly larger motorhome which afforded them more room inside, for two bicycles. I bet they privatly wished the driver/passenger space was like the PM. The FORD Transit is a great chassis and cab, except larger feet, turn around and passage between the narrower two seats gets old pretty quick for some people. The bathroom in the Ekko is more compromised in space. The cassette toilet for some people to extract and lower a what, 40+ pound when to a dump inlet with a bit more care in how you dump without spilling could be an issue for some that have less motor skills than others. A choice one has to make before just buying without experience but in general, well liked. Pros and cons.

All of the supplied folding cardboard like blinds and their storage pouches with our 2018 Travato are clever and do provide decent enough privacy, and sunlight rejection. But we can free up a wee bit of overhead bin space for jackets or something else we will figure out to cram up there if we go with this particular REMIS front windshield blind. The action of refolding and removing the two halves of our present blinds, stuff them both into a pouch, and then begin the semi-crouched, human Twister game reminiscent action from the driver area into the coach (watch that floor height change) standup to then cram at least this pouch into the overhead is eliminated, hah. A future project will be rear window slide up/down track blinds which will also eliminate two magnet attached blinds to store elsewhere.

Gene / Storysrvwego