Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2016, 01:22 AM   #21
Platinum Member

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:28 AM   #22
Bronze Member

How easy is it to get the kayaks on the rack and secured? Looks like you need a ladder.
Suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:35 AM   #23
Platinum Member

I did it just to prove I could but it's not at all practical. I've since removed the kayak racks and the roof rack.

Locally, I would trailer the boats to the lake or river. Travelling, I would just rent them.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:57 AM   #24
Bronze Member

Kind of what I expected
Old 05-04-2016, 03:19 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suza View Post
Thanks! They look nice, but I'm used to a SOT. I know they make them too.

Are they pretty stable with the rigid frame? How does getting in and out compare to a conventional kayak?
The inflatable kayaks are very stable. Keep in mind your are totally surrounded by flotation devices and you have to really work hard to tilt it over. The only time I ever upturned it was when I was deliberately practicing which is something one should do to learn how to get back in.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:24 PM   #26
Platinum Member

I've yet to test my Folbot, but I have high hopes for it. My AE developed a slow leak that I could not trace down to patch.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:02 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I've yet to test my Folbot, but I have high hopes for it. My AE developed a slow leak that I could not trace down to patch.
Which Folbot did you end up buying?

We got an older Folbot Greenland tandem from a friend who inherited it but didn't want it. We need to take it out for a trial run...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:27 PM   #28
Platinum Member

I got the Yukon model.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:26 AM   #29
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
The inflatable kayaks are very stable. Keep in mind your are totally surrounded by flotation devices and you have to really work hard to tilt it over. The only time I ever upturned it was when I was deliberately practicing which is something one should do to learn how to get back in.
Now that we have our RV (LTV Unity B+), I'm getting back to finding inflatable kayaks to take along on our travels. The Advanced Elements Advanced Frame models are on our short list, specifically the Convertible Solo with a rigid floor

Advanced Elements | AdvancedFrame DS-XLC Series Inflatable Kayak | AE1044DS-XLC

We are also considering an Aire Tributary Strike Solo

AIRE Tributary Strike Inflatable Kayak Review ? Rugged, Stable

The Advanced Frame kayaks seem more like a rigid kayak, with excellent tracking, but the complexity of design makes setting up, cleaning, and stowing less appealing than the simpler design of the Strike.

Also, do you find the lack of a self-bailing feature in the Advanced Frame to be problematic? Does a lot of water accumulate in the boat and is it hard to remove when dismantling?
Old 01-27-2017, 05:19 AM   #30
BBQ
Platinum Member

I don't like inflatables.

I like something sturdy.

I want to go a bit further out, and be able to get back in time. I need the speed.

I don't mind to put it on the roof, or put it inside if I can.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:38 AM   #31
Silver Member

We currently have an inflatable kayak which we carry comfortably in the rear storage under the lounge seats. Since all of the fresh waters here in CA require inspections of boats for harmful mussels we partially inflate it and lay it inside (~12') so it can be pulled out quickly. Older inflatables like our seyvelor are slow, but for casual users it does fine. I'm seriously considering a sea eagle razorlite which only has a 27" wide amidships and has a streamlined profile bow to stern. Lightweight at 33 lbs. Most inflatables are 33-36" amidships. At sub-$1000 for a single, it may be a good value.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:50 PM   #32
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2jim View Post
We currently have an inflatable kayak which we carry comfortably in the rear storage under the lounge seats. Since all of the fresh waters here in CA require inspections of boats for harmful mussels we partially inflate it and lay it inside (~12') so it can be pulled out quickly. Older inflatables like our seyvelor are slow, but for casual users it does fine. I'm seriously considering a sea eagle razorlite which only has a 27" wide amidships and has a streamlined profile bow to stern. Lightweight at 33 lbs. Most inflatables are 33-36" amidships. At sub-$1000 for a single, it may be a good value.
I looked at the Razorlite for my husband as it is more like his sit in Aqua Fusion Breeze, which is 11' and a more streamlined recreational kayak. I like my sit-on-top Perception Tribe for ease of entry/exit and ability to move around a bit in the boat, as I do a lot of photography out on the water. - need more stability for the same reason. We enjoy mostly casual paddling on calm lakes and streams, so speed is not so much of an issue., but definitely don't want a "rubber raft with pointy ends"

Our decision is now being guided by the ease of setting up and stowing.

Oregon, too, has "Invasive Species" laws. However, inspections would only occur once the boat is inflated and ready to launch.

If you get the Razorlite, let us know how you like it. Nice thing is, SeaEagle will take it back if you don't like it. I think you have 180 days.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:53 PM   #33
Bronze Member

We have a couple AE Elite. We tries them last week, was impressed with the way they handled. Feels like a skin on frame. Has fair speed for a 13' yak. I was able to put on edge to turn without issue. Like to get into some waves, has a bit of weather cock but not that bad. I think they'll work for travel yaks.
I knew they wouldn't have the feel of our 17' wood kayaks, but they feel better than some of the plastic yaks. And they fold up into a bag. Which is nice as we have 11 other kayaks.
Woodpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:18 PM   #34
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodpaddler View Post
We have a couple AE Elite. We tries them last week, was impressed with the way they handled. Feels like a skin on frame. Has fair speed for a 13' yak. I was able to put on edge to turn without issue. Like to get into some waves, has a bit of weather cock but not that bad. I think they'll work for travel yaks.
I knew they wouldn't have the feel of our 17' wood kayaks, but they feel better than some of the plastic yaks. And they fold up into a bag. Which is nice as we have 11 other kayaks.
Thanks for sharing. The AE Advanced Frame kayaks are actually on our short list, specifically the DS-XLC, a solo Convertible with a high pressure, drop stitch floor. My only concern is the complexity of design. I know it's a trade off. On one hand we want an inflatable that performs well, but don't want setting it up and putting it away to be too involved. We don't do any extending touring, just casual paddling around, exploring calm lakes, rivers and streams, photographing nature and enjoying some peaceful serenity. Time on the water generally 1-3 hrs.

Another we are looking at is the Aire Tributary Strike, which would probably compare to my SOT as far as tracking and stability. It is more of a river raft type of inflatable, but designed for flat water paddling. Tracking can be enhanced by the addition of a removable keel. I like the simple design that would make assembly and maintenance easy.

Such a hard decision. I wish you could try them out and compare.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:43 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Default Yak attack.

Cool idea,but price is very high .
Easy enough to make or have made for a lot less.
Also watch for height problems.
14 ft. Is about all you want to risk....and that is pushing your luck on many roads.
My kayak is 14 ft long . Have just made racks for loading it on the roof.
Might incorporate a small boat type winch to do the heavy lifting.
That is a really nice idea though...if you use a shorter yak.
Cheers
Eddie
Eraygunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:09 PM   #36

Just measure from your receiver tube to the ground then add that to your kayak length. That will give you the overall height of your kayak. Buying less expensive shorter kayaks is an option. If they go up over your roof a little it doesn't matter much or give any noticeable wind resistance.
lgray12845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:55 PM   #37

Here is the maximum recommended kayak lengths taken off the Yakups.com website:

If I'm buying kayaks, which ones are best?
We recommend buying the shortest length kayak possible. There are several shorter kayaks available today, some even with skegs for tracking well in lakes while also able to be used in rivers. We suggest that you measure your RV's height and consider that when purchasing your kayaks.
For Class A RV’s - maximum recommended kayak length: 12'
For Class B RV’s - maximum kayak length recommended: 10'
For Class C RV’s - maximum kayak length recommended: 11'
Conversion Van - maximum kayak length recommended: 9'
Fifth Wheel Trailer - maximum kayak length recommended: 11'
Truck Camper - maximum kayak length recommended: 10'
lgray12845 is offline   Reply With Quote