Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2008, 07:56 PM   #1

Default Safe-T-Plus Steering Control

We recently had a Safe-T-Plus steering control installed on our 2002 Pleasure-Way Excel RD. There was little conversation to our drive to Camping World, about a 45 minute drive, because I was concentrating on staying in my lane. It was a very windy day with strong gusts. The installation went well. On the return trip I was actually able to relax and enjoy the drive and conversation with my wife. I looked at my knuckles on the steering wheel and they were no longer white. It is too soon to give this product an unqualified thumbs up but it sure looks promising--well worth the five hundred dollars.
gaoakleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:30 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Safe-T-Plus Steering Control

It looks like shock absorbers, I'd guess they are a lot stiffer than original equipment,
is that how it works? Are they adjustable at all for ride comfort versus stability?
I'm curious as to how they/the system works.

UPDATE 04/13/10
On our last trip to the US I saw this system at the CW in Seffner, FL.
It looked like slightly larger, probably firmer ride, shocks. I understand
they also contain a spring which acts in compression as well as tension.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:57 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I know this is an older thread but I thought it would catch some ones eye. My rig used the Safe-T-Plus as an option only, mine does not have one. The stabilizer is about 350.00 plus frt. to my door whereas an off road stabilizer is about 100.00. Has anyone put a Safe-T-plus on their rig? Did you notice a big difference after installing it? I have used a few of the off road type in the past but want to hear results on the spendy one. I have talked to Safe-T-Steer and read numerous articles about them but am looking for actual experience. BTW I am still looking for an Onan inspection cover for my 2.8, mine "fell" off last fall.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I have often wondered about this type of stabilizer, but have never had one. The "normal" stabilizers I have seen are the hydraulic shock type with no spring. They resist fast motions in the steering like shocks on the wheel do. The do work pretty well, especially at taking out oscillations of the steering due to looseness of parts. The Safe-T-Plus appears to have an internal spring, besides the shock absorber, to actually help hold the steering linkage in the straight ahead position, which they show how to setup in one of their online videos. That is the part I wonder about, because it has always appeared to me that "straight ahead" is a variable thing that depends on road crown, wind, etc. I would expect under those conditions, you would have to overcome the spring pressure to turn the wheels slightly to stay straight. Since I haven't driven one, I don't know if it is significant or not, or if it works the power steering more. They say it will hold the wheels straight even with a blowout, so the spring must be pretty hefty, though.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I'm still considering whether to keep the Roadtrek for the long haul, or not, after returning from yet another whirlwind tour around the USA.
One of the things I may do if we decide to keep the 190P, is to add and do some of the other suspension mods that have been suggested in the T, M and P section, like Bilstein shocks, brake upgrades, alignments and associated beefier parts, and probably a new set of Michelin LTX A/T2 tires.
It just doesn't seem like the Safe T Steer shocks are anything more than a gimmick to me, and I agree with booster's thoughts about "return to center" steering being variable by definition, including the road condition and surface factors.